Probably a stupid question

Tarheel Pilot

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Tarheel Pilot
So, I'm flying out of an un-towered field, and I want to take my dad to a nice fly-in restaurant about an hour away. I'm kinda used to getting flight following from the ground while talking to the tower at my previous airport. So I was wondering if I could call up FSS and get a squawk code from them, take off from the un-towered field (that I'm now flying out of) and pick up my FF when I contact the Class B airspace that hangs over the airport?

Nope, you'll need to get in the air and call the appropriate approach for the airport you just left as listed in the A/FD.

Sometimes you can do that while you're still on the ground, but yes.

If you're underneath a Bravo, you'll probably note that the frequency on approach plates will be marked that you'll be calling the big airport's TRACON.

They can set you up with a transponder code in the air (workload permitting) that's appropriate for VFR flight following to your destination as long as you're clear that's what you're looking for on initial call-up.

They'll hand you off to the overlying Center when you leave their airspace.

Worst case if they're busy is that you remain VFR until you're away from the Bravo and look up the appropriate Center frequency and call them a little further down the road.

If you're under a Bravo, look for a Clearance Delivery freq for the field. If it has one then give'em a call and ask for flight following.

Otherwise, after departure, call approach for the FF request. No big deal either way.

"Flight following" is a slang term for VFR radar advisories, a service provided on a workload-permitting basis.

FSS doesn't provide radar advisories. ATC does that. You need your squawk from ATC.

Clearance Delivery will provide that for you at some locations, but at most busy places they don't unless you're departing from a Class B location, or it's slow enough that they can effect a handoff.

You can also get tower enroute control (TEC) for the same service, in some locations.

You might try filing an IFR flight plan with "VFR" or "VFR/nn" where nn is a VFR altitude in hundreds of feet. Then follow the same procedure one would to pick up an IFR clearance (e.g. call a nearby TRACON, use a GCO, a clearance delivery frequency or ground control at a towered airport) This puts your flight in the system and makes getting FF easier.

You might try filing an IFR flight plan with "VFR" or "VFR/nn" where nn is a VFR altitude in hundreds of feet. Then follow the same procedure one would to pick up an IFR clearance (e.g. call a nearby TRACON, use a GCO, a clearance delivery frequency or ground control at a towered airport) This puts your flight in the system and makes getting FF easier.
That's how you put a DC SFRA flight plan into the system, but it's not in the AIM or any other FAA pub as a way to get flight following data to the system. File it in Potomac's airspace, and they'll think you want a a DC SFRA entry/exit. File it anywhere else, and they may not have any idea what you want, but may think you want an IFR clearance. If you aren't instrument rated/equipped, make sure the controller knows that.

When I called up NorCal on Wednesday, leaving the Petaluma fly-in, their first response to me was a squawk code, before I had asked for flight following or given any information, other than my tail number. Just an immediate "Cherokee XXXXX squawk XXXX". That was a first for me.

According to the local Center and Approach controllers I talked to at an AOPA ASI sponsored event the way they input a strip for "flight following" is exactly the VFR/x50 in the altitude block. So there is as much chance for confusion as there is on any other hand off where the controller gets your VFR strip from another facility. Putting something like "VFR ADVISORIES" in the remarks is icing on the cake. Both controllers considered the practice not only acceptable but a good idea - it saves them the time and effort of typing in all of your information and reduces the likelihood some of it will get confused.

This is Boston Center/Approach. I don't know about other facilities but they apparently all use VFR/x50 to indicate a tracked VFR aircraft because that's what the computer does.

According to the local Center and Approach controllers I talked to at an AOPA ASI sponsored event the way they input a strip for "flight following" is exactly the VFR/x50 in the altitude block. So there is as much chance for confusion as there is on any other hand off where the controller gets your VFR strip from another facility. Putting something like "VFR ADVISORIES" in the remarks is icing on the cake. Both controllers considered the practice not only acceptable but a good idea - it saves them the time and effort of typing in all of your information and reduces the likelihood some of it will get confused.
There's probably a little more chance for confusion. How that could happen has been talked about here and the likeliest way is that you weren't handed off, the controller knows that and so might wonder how that strip got on his screen/desk. Doing things this way I've been offered an IFR clearance by a controller who wasn't hep to what I was doing. It's not a biggie -- if you don't want to or can't operate IFR then you just refuse the clearance. But it's nice to know that Boston ATC will know what you're trying to do.

That's how you put a DC SFRA flight plan into the system, but it's not in the AIM or any other FAA pub as a way to get flight following data to the system. File it in Potomac's airspace, and they'll think you want a a DC SFRA entry/exit. File it anywhere else, and they may not have any idea what you want, but may think you want an IFR clearance. If you aren't instrument rated/equipped, make sure the controller knows that.

That trick predates the DC SFRA. In fact it predates the FRZ procedures.
Controllers are NOT confused by VFR in the altitude block.

However, that being said. All it does is potentially save a little transient typing. FSS will not yield a void time "Flight Following" or "class B" clearance.
As for whether ground control/clearance delivery or calling approach on the ground will yield a squawk code, I suspect that's a highly local thing. I can tell you it ain't going to happen in most class B's Some places it's hard enough to get an IFR clearance on the ground. They won't issue you a class B clearance VFR without radar contact in most cases.

There's absolutely NOTHING to be gained to try to instigate FF on the ground. Absent "RADAR CONTACT" there's nothing ATC can offer you. (Yes, I know, flight following predates RADAR, but ATC is really going to be confused if you ask for non-RADAR following in this day and age).

When I called up NorCal on Wednesday, leaving the Petaluma fly-in, their first response to me was a squawk code, before I had asked for flight following or given any information, other than my tail number. Just an immediate "Cherokee XXXXX squawk XXXX". That was a first for me.

Des Moines approach did that when I was out there recently, on my initial call after departing from an untowered field under the class C. Sort of surprised me as well, as I wasn't expecting it.

When you get to the B, ask for B clearance to transit (assuming its the most expeditious route) then request FF. either case you have to talk with "the controlling agency" of the airspace you're in.

Don't over complicate it Tarheel. It's simple, call them as sone as possible after departing. If they have time they'll give you basic radar advisories (flight following). They might even change your sqwk after the initial one they give to you. This is good, it means he's put you into the system and replacing his local code with a NAS code. Yes he will also put your altitude (example: VFR/55) into the system along with all your aircraft, route info so all the other controllers in the NAS get it. Nope, don't call FSS to get a sqwk. Only time they really interact with controllers is to get an IFR clearance and even that is rare these days. You could call the ATC facility directly but that would just annoy them. If every VFR dude wanted service on departure their phone would be ringing off the hook.

One important thing to realize though. Just because they put you into the system does mean you filed a VFR flight plan. Two completely separate things. His VFR strip is just between controllers not FSS. I myself don't even file anymore because I use flight following and rarely get terminated unless I'm flying through an active MOA. If I was to have a crash, help would be on the way much faster by having a controller watching over me compared to a flight plan sitting in the FSS system. My opinion AFSS are no longer of use...don't tell my Dad though, he's retired FAA.

I usually forego flight following with sight seeing flights, especially short ones. The chances of a mid air collision are already fairly slim, and talking to controllers and listening from my tail number makes conversation difficult for me. I try very hard to keep out of controlled airspace while giving sight-seeing flights. Too damn much to worry about.

Nope, you'll need to get in the air and call the appropriate approach for the airport you just left as listed in the A/FD.

That's my understanding about how it's supposed to work, but I've found an example where the A/FD lists frequencies that don't work (Columbia, CA, o22). I thought it was my error, but other pilots have had the same trouble.

I usually forego flight following with sight seeing flights, especially short ones. The chances of a mid air collision are already fairly slim, and talking to controllers and listening from my tail number makes conversation difficult for me. I try very hard to keep out of controlled airspace while giving sight-seeing flights. Too damn much to worry about.

Conversation is secondary to safety. I flew through the vicinity of the recent midair about a half an hour before it happened. I carry two electronic traffic systems and get flight following and we have two pilots aboard usually. Listening to my N number hardly takes any thought. It's like someone calling you by name.

Conversation is secondary to safety. I flew through the vicinity of the recent midair about a half an hour before it happened. I carry two electronic traffic systems and get flight following and we have two pilots aboard usually. Listening to my N number hardly takes any thought. It's like someone calling you by name.

Taking passengers sightseeing is also secondary to safety. Using that reasoning, I'd just leave them on the ground, I'll be more focused on my flying and they'll be, well, on the ground, where they are less likely to die in an aviation accident.

However, if I am going to take the risk of carrying passengers, I will do my utmost to make their experience a pleasant one. That includes keeping myself as available as I can be to answer questions and explain what's going on. I can count the number of mid air collisions that occur in the US on the fingers of one hand, compared to weather and miscontrol they represent a small minority of accidents.

My name is not my airplane number, I have to listen for the latter.

They knew you had met us on the porch (funny they call this the front porch of aviation and I had everyone meet on a porch).... and they knew you were trouble so they wanted to monitor you right away.

Back