prob

miko444

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
mikoo444
1 years ago i had a medical marijuana prescription for just 6months in california . but now im clean ,im just worried if the FAA would know about it or would affect it or be disqualified when im going to pass the 1st class medical test . Thanks

Last edited:
Are you hoping that someone is going to tell you what you want to hear instead of what you already know?

this topic should be a sticky...
1. pot is illegal under Federal laws.
2. FAA is a Federal agency (actually, agency and administration are two,different entities as defined in the Fed govt but that's another discussion. FAA and NASA are Administrations. CIA and NSA are Agencies )
3. not admitting pot use on the FAA medical is lying by omission on a Federal form.
4. doesn't matter who prescribed it, and in which state, pot is illegal.

And in theory there is a serious medical condition that justified the use of marijuana. The FAA will want the medical records for that condition. The less controversial indications for medical MJ are:

Nausea from cancer chemotherapy
Poor appetite from advanced HIV disease or cancer
Possibly certain types of intractable seizures

Most of the other reasons are BS.

1 years ago i had a medical marijuana prescription for just 6months in california . but now im clean ,im just worried if the FAA would know about it or would affect it or be disqualified when im going to pass the 1st class medical test . Thanks

What surprises me is that obviously, you have been a pilot for more than a year and thus have been subjected to the medical process.

Why would you even THINK about getting a medical marijuana card? You truly didn't understand the fallout?

That said, as far as I know, "medical marijuana cards" are just that, you pay a "doctor" a few bucks to review your "condition", and you walk out with a signed piece of paper that will keep you out of hot water with the local authorities. Most of the time the documentation ends right there. So, it probably won't come back to haunt you, but then again you never know. If the Feds decide to seize the records at some point....

I think in California you can get one by saying you have a headache.

The question on the form reads:
Substance dependence or failed a drug test ever; or substance abuse or use of illegal substance in the last 2 years.

If I were you, I think I would wait out the 2 years. Unless I'm missing something, that would make it legal without lying, and without having to disclose.

What will disqualify you is a "yes" answer to the "Have you ever..." question about illegal drug use in Block 18. Since marijuana use has been and remains illegal at the Federal level, if you actually used the stuff, you would have to answer "yes" to avoid violating 14 CFR 61.59 and 18 USC 1001. Furthermore, the visit to the physician who issued that prescription must by reported, too, including the reason for that visit and what was done, which will also open that particular can of worms.

Will they find out if you lie about any of that? :dunno:
Can they find out if you had that card or made an unreported visit to a health professional? :yes:

And in theory there is a serious medical condition that justified the use of marijuana. The FAA will want the medical records for that condition. The less controversial indications for medical MJ are:

Nausea from cancer chemotherapy
Poor appetite from advanced HIV disease or cancer
Possibly certain types of intractable seizures
...all of which are grounds for denial of a medical certificate.

I think in California you can get one by saying you have a headache.

The question on the form reads:

If I were you, I think I would wait out the 2 years. Unless I'm missing something, that would make it legal without lying, and without having to disclose.
You'd have to wait at least three years beyond the last visit to a health professional involving that issue, since that's how far back those visits must be reported, and the visit report would open the door to finding out about your past use.

You'd have to wait at least three years beyond the last visit to a health professional involving that issue, since that's how far back those visits must be reported, and the visit report would open the door to finding out about your past use.

Right, I forgot about that one, if he got it a year from now as he claims, then it's 2 years from now he has to wait.

As long as the condition you saw the doc over isn't one of the ones listed on question 18: HAVE YOU EVER ...

Fortunately the one exception to the "ever" part is illegal substance use. That only goes back two years.

I don't smoke, but so so many 20-somethings (from all walks of life and all professions–not just lazy wankers) smoke MJ here in California. I just wonder how many of these guys go on to get medicals without telling the truth...

I don't smoke, but so so many 20-somethings (from all walks of life and all professions–not just lazy wankers) smoke MJ here in California. I just wonder how many of these guys go on to get medicals without telling the truth...

I guess that's why they limit it to 2 years. That way there are less liars :lol:

It does ask about EVER IN YOUR LIFETIME for "substance abuse".
The problem is: what's abuse?
One could argue that using any illegal drug (say MJ) is abuse (except for medical use), since you would be using it to get high.

But then:
a·buse
verb
əˈbyo͞oz/
use (something) to bad effect or for a bad purpose; misuse.
"the judge abused his power by imposing the fines"
synonyms: misuse, misapply, misemploy;

noun
əˈbyo͞os/
the improper use of something.
"alcohol abuse"
synonyms: misuse, misapplication, misemployment;
So unless you got a bad high (bad effect), I guess it doesn't count as abuse. You are not misusing (or using improperly) because that's the use of the drug :dunno:

Call the doc and ask where/if it was reported.

Did you use your insurance for any of it???

If it ain't in a database, your call if it happend.

Police care allowed to lie to citizens if it provides a means to the ends.

Parts if government brought before congress omits the truth all time.

Our president sealed every record he had.

Understand how this nation works, weight your options, check your risk/benefit and act accordingly.

It does ask about EVER IN YOUR LIFETIME for "substance abuse".
The problem is: what's abuse?
That's a question for the medical experts, and here's the definition from the DSM-IV, which is what the FAA will use:
The DSM-IV definition is as follows:
Criteria for Substance Abuse
A pattern of substance use leading to significant impairment or distress, as manifested by one or more of the following during in the past 12 month period:

1. Failure to fulfill major role obligations at work, school, home such as repeated absences or poor work performance related to substance use; substance-related absences, suspensions, or expulsions from school; neglect of children or household
  2. Frequent use of substances in situation in which it is physically hazardous (e.g., driving an automobile or operating a machine when impaired by substance use)
  3. Frequent legal problems (e.g. arrests, disorderly conduct) for substance abuse
  4. Continued use despite having persistent or recurrent social or interpersonal problems (e.g., arguments with spouse about consequences of intoxication, physical fights)
Criteria for Substance Dependence
Dependence or significant impairment or distress, as manifested by 3 or more of the following during a 12 month period:

1. Tolerance or markedly increased amounts of the substance to achieve intoxication or desired effect or markedly diminished effect with continued use of the same amount of substance
  2. Withdrawal symptoms or the use of certain substances to avoid withdrawal symptoms
  3. Use of a substance in larger amounts or over a longer period than was intended
  4. persistent desire or unsuccessful efforts to cut down or control substance use
  5. Involvement in chronic behavior to obtain the substance, use the substance, or recover from its effects
  6. Reduction or abandonment of social, occupational or recreational activities because of substance use
  7. Use of substances even though there is a persistent or recurrent physical or psychological problem that is likely to have been caused or exacerbated by the substance

Last edited:
While I wrote that post mostly joking, what you posted is interesting, and actually answers the question.

Thanks.

Now back to joking: You can use whatever you want (as long as it doesn't qualify as abuse as per the above defitinion), up to 2 years before your medical expires.
If you are over 40, you are out of luck :D

If you're a pilot and aren't bright enough to have someone else buy your weed for you, you aren't bright enough to be trusted with the responsibilities that come with the job you need a 1st Class medical to have. You can be the most talented pilot in the world, but your analytic and decision making skills suck, and they trump flying skill for an airliner.

can FAA know if i had a medical MJ card in the past ?

Good thing it's only two years or all of us who grew up (using the term loosely) in the 60s and 70s would be **** outa luck!

Not that I ever did of course,

can FAA know if i had a medical MJ card in the past ?

In this day and age, I would not be surprised if they didn't correlate any available databases on such things. They're already mining the prescription records.

You do understand that the US of marijuana, either medically or in states where it is legal/decriminalized is still inconsistent with maintaining a medical certificate?

You also understand that your issue is not whether TODAY they can catch you in your lies on the application. If in five years they do get the databases correlated and find you HAVE lied, you may be looking at more than just a loss of your medical certificate.

Good thing it's only two years or all of us who grew up (using the term loosely) in the 60s and 70s would be [x] outa luck!
Why is it that everyone who did that stuff assumes everyone else did, too? I don't sure have anything to hide in that regard, and I'm equally sure I'm not the only one who said, "No, thanks, I'll just have a beer."

Ron, as the old saying goes...

"If you remember the '60s then you didn't experience the '60s!" :)

Being that I was of single digit age in the 60s I was a bit young to personally experience them...but, being the youngest of ten kids, I learned a lot from the experiences of older siblings. Good and bad.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back