PRK or LASIK?

GeorgeC

Administrator
Management Council Member
Display Name

Display name:
GeorgeC
Is laser eye surgery worth it for low myopia (-2.75 and -3.25)?

If so, is PRK or LASIK preferred?

I had bladeless LASIK but be warned if you like flying at night. It took a couple of years for my halos / starbursts in vision to go away. Sometimes they never do, incidentally. My myopia was more severe than yours and YMMV. I do love not needing glasses :)

I was -6.75 (in contacts) before having blade-free LASIK back in 2002. Before the surgery my vision was so bad that I couldn't read the alarm clock from 3' away. No major problems afterwards except I did have starbursts at night and floaters for a couple of years.

For ~-3.00 in glasses I'm not sure I'd do it. If you decide to go through with it don't go to one of these $100/eye places. Choose carefully and don't let them use the 'suction cup' when cutting the flap. Go with 100% blade free.

The advantage of PRK is that:
- there is no 'flap' of cornea that only sticks to the remainder of the cornea by a rather weak bond
- the cornea is not thinned to the same degree as during Lasik. There is a small risk of 'corneal ectasia' iow bulging of the cornea after Lasik. If the surgeon adheres to strict selection criteria, this should not become an issue.

The disadvantage of PRK is that:
- you have what amounts to a huge corneal abrasion for a couple of days after the procedure. So rather than 20/20 in 20 minutes it's more of a '20/15 after a couple of days with a patch and some discomfort' kind of deal. If you are not diabetic, the epithelial defect created by PRK will heal over in a few days, it is quite remarkable what those stem cells around your cornea can pump out in that situation.

Ask Bruce Chien about the implications for your medical. From what I understand, you have to provide documentation that you have a stable refraction and vision after the procedure before you can get a new medical.

As for whether it is worth it: Only you can decide whether glasses/contacts really make you that miserable that surgery is a good alternative. One thing to keep in mind is that once you hit presbyopia (age related loss of the ability to adjust your eye to different distances), you will have to wear glasses (readers) again.

I am at an age where prebyopia is manifesting itself. Then again, my biggest objection to LASIK or PRK was I would have to wear reading glasses (unless I went with the one eye near and the other far, which is a non-starter for the Steingar). If I have to wind up with reading glasses anyway, some of the stigma vanishes.

I probably still won't. I've been wearing glasses most of my life, and I'd rather not endanger my medical. Don't have the cash either.

George, this depends on your age. We are beginning to see a few with corneal problems from PKR (ischemic corneas, mostly) and I just Special Issued one today who take prednisone drops so the transplant cornea doesn't reject. Pretty mess, really.

If your are already in your 30's I'd say don't do a thing. Normal vision will be along shortly. If you're in your 20s, LASIK may now be the choice- but as others have noted, it has a 4-5% incidence of haloing at night. VERY irritating, despite the fact that the eyeball surgeons don't count that as a "complication".

. VERY irritating, despite the fact that the eyeball surgeons don't count that as a "complication".

The FDA is in the process of reviewing the data they used to approve Lasik. One of their own scientists after he left accused them of allowing the lasik industry to 'shape' the follow-up data. FDA is trying to poo-poo the whole thing as the accusations of a disgruntled employee, but some of the allegations are indeed quite curious. For example, in the follow-up studies that were used to establish the method, patients who didn't respond to a follow-up invitations were listed as 'happy with the results' :rolleyes2:.

Thanks, Bruce. I'm in my mid 30s.

I had PRK done about nine months ago, from an original correction of about -4.00. I got the procedure for a career that requires perfect vision, and I would not have gotten it done in absence of that requirement.

I really like the results, I usually see 20/15 in both eyes, although some days are better than that. I had an excellent surgeon, so no complications like starbursting for me.

However, it hurt like hell recovering from the procedure, and cost a whole lot of money. There was a week of pretty crummy vision post surgery, and even though I expected that, it was still pretty rough. I usually had pretty good vision from contacts, (apart from the one day surfing when one got stuck behind my eyelid), but nothing like it is currently.

Only you can decide if it is worth the risk, the pain, and the expense to avoid the inconvenience of contact lenses.
That said, if you do get it done, get the PRK. There is a reason that the military only allows PRK, not LASIK (although I understand that some branches are now allowing LASIK too.)

If you are in the NYC area, I can recommend a very good surgeon.

I had similar numbers, and I had lasik six years ago, when I was 33. I thought about it for years, checked a bunch of doctors, and decided on the one I thought was the most qualified and experienced, and also the most expensive. It worked great! I have no complaints, no complications whatsoever. Six months after the initial procedure, the doctor thought he could make one eye sharper, so that eye got a touch up. The whole procedure only took a few seconds. I never had halos. Did not hurt either, but it did involve lots of eye drops. I could see immediately, but it took a few months for the eyes to fully stabilize.

For what it's worth, while I was serving in the Army PRK was the only approved eye surgery. I fell victim to my honesty and never got the procedure done, but all the guys in my company who got it were happy with it after the pain and healing were overwith (in some cases even that pain was worth being off jump status :wink2:). I do recall something on my form that mentioned some sort of betterer results and that at least at the time (2004), PRK was the only military-approved procedure.

I got Lasik about 11 years ago, and I absolutely do not regret it one bit. I walked out of the office after the procedure with better eyesight than I started with, and vision settled to 20/15 (from over 20/400) within a week. Vision is presently about 20/20 on a good day.

Yes there were some night vision issues (halo effect on lights) but it was manageable after a couple weeks and pretty much disappeared after six months.

For those of you who have had PRK... How long did it take for the halos to go away? I had the procedure done almost two years ago before I went to a flight school. I have halos at night only in one eye. Thanks.

As for whether it is worth it: Only you can decide whether glasses/contacts really make you that miserable that surgery is a good alternative. One thing to keep in mind is that once you hit presbyopia (age related loss of the ability to adjust your eye to different distances), you will have to wear glasses (readers) again.

I seriously debated this decision starting 20 years ago. The 1% chance of not being correctable to 20/20 afterwards always kept me from risking my certificate. Now that I'm in the "cheaters required" phase of life I'm pretty happy I never had it done. Comfortable soft contacts solved the glasses issues for many years. Now I like being able to relax and read a magazine or tablet computer without needing glasses. My wife, who never had to wear glasses, is constantly struggling to read things now days, is always looking for her "cheaters" and is forever asking me to read the fine print for her! :)

I had Lasik about 8 years ago. Best thing I ever did for myself. I am still passing the 2nd class medical with flying colors. My eyes were somewhat dry for a few months.

Modern Lasik is safer than contacts.

I had PRK 4-5 years ago. Unbelievable the clarity that I still have. 20/15 to 20/20 in both eyes. It took a couple days of pain, and probably a week before I could sit and look at a computer screen much..

It was well worth it, I was around 6.5 on my contact script, and couldn't see anything. I had glasses since 3rd grade, I had no idea other people could see so well all of the time :)

For those of you who have had PRK... How long did it take for the halos to go away? I had the procedure done almost two years ago before I went to a flight school. I have halos at night only in one eye. Thanks.

Two different surgeons I had consultations with said the halos could be permanent, at least at night.

I had LASIK back in 2000. Never had any haloing or anything like that. I was on the edge of what they would do with LASIK, and if I had been much worse they would have done PRK.

The haloing is a consequence of what they do. They correct the shape of the cornea in the center of the pupil. In high-light situations (day) the iris constricts the size of the pupil to the point that all of the exposed pupil is well within the corrected "area". But, what happens is when your iris opens up in low-light conditions, you could be getting unfocused light from the outside (beyond the area they corrected) along with focused light from the centre (where they corrected).

The haloing is a consequence of what they do. They correct the shape of the cornea in the center of the pupil. In high-light situations (day) the iris constricts the size of the pupil to the point that all of the exposed pupil is well within the corrected "area". But, what happens is when your iris opens up in low-light conditions, you could be getting unfocused light from the outside (beyond the area they corrected) along with focused light from the centre (where they corrected).

The newer excimer lasers have a larger diameter 'ablation zone' that reduces the likelihood of halos happening.

One way to address the halos is to prescribe eyedrops that constrict the pupil, the downside of course is that it reduces the amount of light that hits the retina. Depending on how severe the halos are, it can be preferable. I dont know the FAA position on this.

My wife and I did LASIK about 8 months apart last year. She went first, so she's now 1.75 years post-op. Her night vision has gone to crap. She says it's not a halo problem, but can't describe to me what it is. I had huge halos for a month or so. The last contact prescription I had was -7.50 and -8.0, so I'm ecstatic about the change.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back