PRK issues

Various Mapp

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Various
I had PRK 3 years ago. Daytime vision is great, but now have night vision issues: halos/starburst, and some ghosting on brightly backlit objects (Also have dry eye, but Xiidra and drops mitigate that.) It's not severe and OTC brimonidine tartarate (Lumify) almost eliminates it completely. Doc gave me a prescription strength sample of the same drug and it works even better. I can drive a car without the drops at night with no issues, the starburst doesn't interfere but is definitely noticeable. Halo's are just annoying and don't really interfere, but again are noticeable. My medical lapsed prior to the surgery and I want to get back in the air. The surgeon knows about the issues and thought it might be related to dry eye and the Xiidra may help. It helps, but didn't eliminate the sequela. Do I need an 8500 from my surgeon since it's been 3 years post surgery? If not, should I confess it to the AME? If so, I could just tell the surgeon the Xiidra worked.
I'm not sure how serious this would be to the FAA, as my night vision isn't perfect, but I don't think it would be an issue affecting flight safety. It's an annoyance.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back