Privatepilotstudy.com

Magillicuttymerf

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Magillicuttymerf
So I'm new here, with about 14 hours worth of lessons so far. I usually just lurk and search for my answers so I've never felt a need to sign up, until now. I wanted to tell you guys about www.privatepilotstudy.com. It's completely free, no gimmicks or anything. Just pilots and aspiring pilots helping each other out.

Basically a redditor from r/flying came up with the idea of doing video conference study groups for people trying to get their ppl. It's been successful with good feedback covering topics such as airspace, sectionals, meteorology, and today's lesson is on engine mechanics.

You can just watch as a viewer and type your questions or participate and be on camera and ask questions via microphone (though that's limited to 10 slots for actual participation). If you can't make the timeslot, the session is uploaded to the youtube channel and you can watch it later. This is all done through Google hangouts.

If you're a CFI or CFII or even a PPL that's particularly knowledgeable on certain aspects of aviation you could even assist on the leading of a session.

Some of the bugs are still being worked out, as this has only been a thing for a few weeks. And this focuses on U.S. based study so YMMV if you're learning to fly in other countries

Thanks for sharing!

Not a bad idea to allow people to listen in. But it would be an even better idea if it did not demand lots of private information, including emails, certifications etc.
Can you provide a link to the actual presentation so that we can listen in?

This is interesting. I'll check it out.

But it would be an even better idea if it did not demand lots of private information, including emails, certifications etc.

...it's only asking for first name and an email address to mail invites to.

The participation and view links are emailed to you, it's not a spammy thing. There isn't any company associated with it, just a guy who sends out an email with the links a few hours before on the day of. You can email questions in ahead of time too.

Seems like a great idea to me - I don't think asking for a name and email is out of the ordinary

Also, the sessions are usually Sunday afternoons and Tuesday evenings. The times in the email are given in Pacific time, so plan accordingly.

So why not post the actual link on the website then for people to join in without the hassle of emailing, signing up, etc?
We all are pilots here so we know that the more complex things get, the more chances something will go wrong (and it always does). :)
You could also improve the website by posting links to the recordings of past (archived) sessions.

The youtube channel is called private pilot study. Here's a link to the recent engine mechanics session

Back