"Private Pilots Get Big Subsidy" ...

etsisk

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
iYiYi
"Billions of dollars skimmed from airline ticket sales go to support small airfields"

This :mad: from a FRONT PAGE article in the Raleigh News and Observer ...

http://www.newsobserver.com/100/story/564688.html

This is getting ridiculous! Obviously, with all the stories showing up at the same time, someone has greased some wheels somewhere ...

This article and others are showing up everywhere, seems like! Anyone got a good link to rebuttal information? I don't want it to pass unremarked. :mad:

I contacted someone at AOPA, so hopefully I'll be hearing back from them.

Yeah, I'm looking for some numbers to use - have an email in to aopa.

It angers the heck outta me - utterly biased. "Skimmed" for crying out loud.

Simple business economics..
Big Airline companies invest capital at advertizing just prior to vote.
... and the return is Mega-buck$ to their bottom line...
The general public will beleive (and support) anything that costs them less taxes. (even when it's served up as a lie)
AOPA is the only organization that can leverage enough media support to counter the recent surge of Airliners scare tactics.
Guess we'll see how it comes out pretty soon.

A state like NC should certainly understand the value those small GA airports bring. Can you say "crop dusters?"

Ugh... I'm working on this problem this week as I prepare for a presentation for my speech class. While most people in the class are doing "This pizza place is better than that pizza place", since I'm the most senior (aka OLDEST) student in the class by far, I'm trying to find a way to present "User Fees are bad" to them in a way that will make them join our side.

Right now, I'm planning on presenting it as "Taxation without representation" to get them hooked.. We'll see how it goes as I get farther along.

The reason it's all over is that the Associated Press carried it. :(

Original post removed. (Letter to Editor)

I'm saying what many say but don't put in writing. But, I've had enough criticism. I'm sorry I posted it here.

If you people want to idly standby and not say a word but ***** on here, so be it. And, I'd bet on those criticizing me will do just that. But, Get off MY ass! I am NOT the enemy here.

I busted my ass to get my tickets. I didn't have any huge income, no trust fund, no magical source of funds. I gave up a LOT to do it. To have someone stand on their AP high horse and spread BS is not right.

Good Day.

Last edited by a moderator:
I sent the following letter to the editor:

That letter is not going to do anything other than confirm that we're renegades, Kenny. What we need to do, is write letters that are intelligent and argue our side reasonably.

As soon as I saw "head up your ass" I would have thrown the letter away.

You are actually doing more harm than good. Please, don't write letters like this.

That letter is not going to do anything other than confirm that we're renegades, Kenny. What we need to do, is write letters that are intelligent and argue our side reasonably.

You are actually doing more harm than good. Please, don't write letters like this.
This "Bob Porterfield" has proved he cares nothing about the truth. I'll treat him as such.

I agree. you want to lure people in, not repel them.

heres Bob's email if you want to shoot him a friendly message.

bob.poole@reason.org <bob.poole@reason.org>

if you got to the aopa non-members home page theres some info on this. tc
Here's more information about him. Not quite without an agenda.

http://www.reason.org/poole.shtml said:
Aviation
Poole is a member of the Government Accountability Office's National Aviation Studies Advisory Panel and he has testified before the House and Senate's aviation subcommittees on numerous occasions. Following the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, Poole consulted the White House Domestic Policy Council and several members of Congress on ways to improve the nation's airport security.
He has also advised the Federal Aviation Administration, Office of the Secretary of Transportation, White House Office of Policy Development, National Performance Review, National Economic Council, and the National Civil Aviation Review Commission on aviation issues. Poole is a member of the Critical Infrastructure Council of the Los Angeles Economic Development Corporation and of the Air Traffic Control Association.
Poole was among the first to propose the commercialization of the U.S. air traffic control system, and his work in this field has helped shape proposals for a U.S. air traffic control corporation. A version of his corporation concept was implemented in Canada in 1996 and was more recently endorsed by several former top FAA administrators.
Poole's studies also launched a national debate on airport privatization in the United States. He advised both the FAA and local officials during the 1989-90 controversy over the proposed privatization of Albany (NY) Airport. His policy research on this issue helped inspire Congress' 1996 enactment of the Airport Privatization Pilot Program and the privatization of Indianapolis' airport management under Mayor Steve Goldsmith.

[emphasis mine - GP]

Last edited:
This is getting ridiculous! Obviously, with all the stories showing up at the same time, someone has greased some wheels somewhere ...
Bingo! I think you're right. Can't be coincidence.

This is an example of the Drive-by Media, by the way, repeating the same AP wire story or similar stories, all because the competition ran the story and they don't want to be scooped. Gotta get on the bandwagon. Truth be damned.

It's also similar to a Googlebomb. :D

I busted my ass to get my tickets. I didn't have any huge income, no trust fund, no magical source of funds. I gave up a LOT to do it. To have someone stand on their AP high horse and spread BS is not right.

Wasting time, energy, and emotions on "whats right" does little good. There are ways to deal with everything but stooping to below their level is not a good way. It will do nothing but entertain them because they got a reaction "out of some crazy pilot".

I've found if I'm really angry about something I'll write it in Word first. I'll go back and read it every hour and every time I read it I find myself making it more civil. The end result is something that expresses my opinion and message in a convincing manner. This is how you get people on your side. I don't think ever writing a threat, a swear word, or anything to the like will ever help. Sometimes you might be able to intimidate in person with such but that's usually only if you're both five year olds.

I doubt writing this guy will do any good. The best response in my opinion is to kill this in Washington. Hopefully AOPA will continue their fight and others that are really good with words will write intelligent civil letters to the appropriate people. Phil Boyer is doing a good job of trying to kill this in Washington and much progress has been made. There are plenty of politicians who are not buying into the airliner/faa story.

Last edited:
Phil Boyer is doing a good job of trying to kill this in Washington and much progress has been made.

But at what cost to GA as a whole? I'm glad AOPA is standing up for us, but where is AOPA when other big stuff happens? MassPort is literally raping GA Pilots rights at their airports, Chicago still keeps us out of the airpspace, The ADIZ is still running strong, TFRs are issued for dead presidents....the list goes on and on, but AOPA stays steadfast on "User fees, bad. Nothing else matter."

I joined EAA and see all the stuff they are doing (as well as fighting user fees) and I'm glad I did. AOPA will not get another dime from me unless they start being more pro-GA and less anti-userfees.

But at what cost to GA as a whole? I'm glad AOPA is standing up for us, but where is AOPA when other big stuff happens? MassPort is literally raping GA Pilots rights at their airports, Chicago still keeps us out of the airpspace, The ADIZ is still running strong, TFRs are issued for dead presidents....the list goes on and on, but AOPA stays steadfast on "User fees, bad. Nothing else matter."

I joined EAA and see all the stuff they are doing (as well as fighting user fees) and I'm glad I did. AOPA will not get another dime from me unless they start being more pro-GA and less anti-userfees.

If the FAA had their way with User Fees in short time there would not be any GA left for AOPA or EAA to represent.

Here is an article in the Indy Start which looks like it may be based on that same AP article. This one seems to be relatively well written and doesn't seem to imply that all of us "rich" pilots are getting some huge Subsidy. It also has some good quotes and info from some of the operators from some of the airports that would be affected the most if this moves forward.

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2007704170341

Back