Private Pilot Sample Exam Test Question

Maxed-out

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Maxed-out
Interested in your take on this FAA question and answer. It's from the recently revised (9-28-16) Private Pilot-Airplane (PAR) Sample Exam. It's the new and improved version of the same question on the FAA sample exam released back in June 2016:

https://www.faa.gov/training_testing/testing/test_questions/media/PARSampleExam.pdf

28 . PLT271 PA.I.H.K4
The destination airport has one runway, 8-26, and the wind is calm. The normal approach in calm wind is a left- hand pattern to runway 08. There is no other traffic at the airport. A thunderstorm about 6 miles west is beginning its mature stage, and rain is starting to reach the ground. The pilot decides to -

A) depart expecting the thunderstorm to dissipate prior to arrival then land on runway 8.
B) fly an approach to runway 26 since any unexpected winds from the storm will be westerly.
C) delay departure until the thunderstorm has dissipated.

The question reads like your inbound to the destination airport and a T-Storm is west of the field. Two of the answers are for aircraft departing and one answer is for an aircraft arriving. Makes the answer obvious. Easy points, but seems strange to me.

The previous version of the answer choices to this question were:

28 The destination airport has one runway, 8-26, and the wind is calm. The normal approach in calm wind is a left hand pattern to runway 08. There is no other traffic at the airport. A thunderstorm about 6 miles west is beginning its mature stage, and rain is starting to reach the ground. The pilot decides to -

A. fly the pattern to runway 8 since the storm is too far away to affect the wind at the airport.
B. fly the normal pattern to runway 8 since the storm is west and moving north and any unexpected wind will be from the east or southeast toward the storm.
C. fly an approach to runway 26 since any unexpected wind due to the storm will be westerly.

The problem with this set of answers was that it seemed to imply that it's acceptable procedure to be conducting flight ops.(approach and landing) with a T-Storm 6 miles west. That's probably why they revised it.

I don't know what the answer is, but I'm posting anyway (typical PoA response). ;)

Two of the answers are for aircraft departing and one answer is for an aircraft arriving. Makes the answer obvious.

Assuming your point of departure and destination are distinct, you have to depart before you can arrive. So I'm not following your logic.

Here's another thread with the same question.

https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/community/posts/2099155/

Back