Private Pilot Refresher

gibbons

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
iRide
I've got two pilots I've started working with recently. One hasn't flown in about 20 years, the other received his private license while in the UK. Both do a fine job flying the airplane and we'll spend about 10 hours going through an abbreviated private course - ground ref. maneuvers, stalls, spins, short/soft field, cross country, night flight, hood work, etc.

I'm looking for a good course on video or CD to serve as a refresher for these guys, especially wrt airspace and regs. Can anyone make any recommendations?

chip, for the airspace stuff you may want to try to find an old king video or something that was made back when the aispace changed to ABCDEG from ARSA TRSA etc. It will explain the differences. The guy who hasnt flown in 20 years will likely remember the ARSA TRSA stuff, or at least the basics about them, and will be totally befuddled when it comes to ABCDEG.

I have learned all about ARSA TRSA stuff from trying to do BFRs with guys who are still stuck in pre 1993.

The on-line CFI refresher course by Gleim would work very well, skipping the instructor-specific sections.

Try this: http://www.faa-ground-school.com/
These are narrated multimedia (or you can read text on Gleim...). They might find the ones on "Airports and Airspaces", "VFR Minimums", and maybe "In the Traffic Pattern" to be nice little refreshers. High speed connection needed.

Last edited:
Back