Private Pilot Progress Thread No. 66736

Seanaldinho

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Yerp
So yesterday I had my first "official" in the log book powered flight lesson. Showed up at Destin at 1100 and started preflighting the mighty Cessna 150. Over than checking the oil and sumping the tanks nothing new so we jump back into the FBO to get our clearance and snag some cookies while entrancing the cute girls at the desk.

10 minutes later we are back on the tarmac chewing bubble gum and squeeze into our steed. Taxi out to runway 14 before a couple of business jets and take off behind a Hawker. Slight crosswind out of the west nothing to big. Since this is just supposed to be a "demo" ride to make sure Im comfortable in a plane :rolleyes: my instructor handles the take off. Climb out along the coast to the training area and do some turns, steep turns, climbs, descents, slow flight, stalls, and the always present in my mind where to put it if the fan stopped spinning. Nothing to diffucult just a few extra spinny gauges to watch and handles to move.

After ~45 minutes head back to Destin and do 5 tough and goes each one I flew us closer and closer to the deck until we were at the threshold on the last one. For a "demo" ride I cant complain (especially since now we had a 10 knot crosswind). Only thing that bothered me here was how large the pattern is. Im used to final always being a short final.

Taxi back to parking and tie down N66736. 1.3 hours for a first lesson aint bad.

Ive been hooked since the first time I went flying when I was 15. Ive had a glider certificate for over a year now and had to find funding for powered lessons.

Sounds lie you accomplished a lot for a demo flight! Glad it went well for you.

David

Ive been hooked since the first time I went flying when I was 15. Ive had a glider certificate for over a year now and had to find funding for powered lessons.

Heh. Cool. Sometimes it sucks being an addict. ;)

Update:

Squeezed in 2 flights so far this week.

Sunday - Lesson 2
Took off from DTS with a decent 8 knot crosswind and headed straight to the training area for turns, steep turns, clean and dirty flying, ascents, descents, couple stalls. Afterwards headed to DTS for touch and go's. Got 5 in and on the 4th and 5th I flew her all the way to the ground. Successful day :D [1.3 hours]

Today - Lesson 3
Took off from DTS and flew 20 miles up to CEW for touch and go's at a much, much larger runway (8000+ feet compared to DTS's 4000). Did a stop and go first then a go around and then a full stop where a friend picked us up and took us to lunch. Came back and flew the 20 miles back to DTS under foggles (yawn). Good landing with another decent crosswind and then taxiied to parking. I was running late for class so we pushed her into her bed and then I skeedaddled to the college and was 20 minutes late to class but it was well worth it :D [1.2 hours]

Hoping to fly again Friday!

Well its been a busy couple of weeks but yesterday after my lesson the instructor said "Id gladly let you go solo today." (8 hours) But because of the way my scholarship is set up the scholarship disappears after solo so im gonna wait another 10 hours or so :D

Well after a week of consistently strong gusty crosswinds Im getting competent with them in this little bird.

Today though we had absoutely gorgeous conditions. 3 knot wind max and unlimited vis = a little cross country and 6 greasers.

Gosh, I love flying.

Sounds like you are doing great, glider to power transition, the only difference is that iron thermal generator, noise maker, up front. That, and a few more systems to learn.

Congrats!

Sounds like you are doing great, glider to power transition, the only difference is that iron thermal generator, noise maker, up front. That, and a few more systems to learn.

Congrats!

My only gripe is that the controls are much heavier... :dunno:

Thanks!

So, you moved from Idaho to FL for college? That's going to make the winters much nicer.

You should do all your requirements before, soloing cross country, night foggle everything with him your minimum 20 hours. What kind of a scholarship is it?

Stick to non-fiction writing. :)

I'll vouch for the front desk girls...but considering they deal with ultra-rich southern men with clean cuts and cool clothes, flying G-IV-GV Global expresses etc, not sure a 150 driver keeps them entranced.

Good job sean...hopefully you an I can join up in the pattern...when ever I get my plane out of the shop that is :rolleyes:

You should do all your requirements before, soloing cross country, night foggle everything with him your minimum 20 hours. What kind of a scholarship is it?

Its a scholarship up to solo.

Lately we've been doing cross country work and short/soft field landings. And im up to around 2 hours under foggles which i despise.

I'll vouch for the front desk girls...but considering they deal with ultra-rich southern men with clean cuts and cool clothes, flying G-IV-GV Global expresses etc, not sure a 150 driver keeps them entranced.

Good job sean...hopefully you an I can join up in the pattern...when ever I get my plane out of the shop that is :rolleyes:

I think Ive seen your little Grumman on the ramp before.

Its all about confidence with the desk gals ;)

Back