Private pilot passengers cost sharing question #98791

Integrity is a personal choice, it is also a valuable trait to get you through your life.

In the case of this thread, it is not a complex issue. A passenger with integrity will offer to help with the expenses. A pilot with integrity will accept or reject that help in a way that will not tarnish his own image of himself.

Like I said earlier, your the PIC, besides you and your passengers, who the heck is going to know what takes place? This entire issue is all about integrity, do you fly according to regulations, or do you find ways around them?

It's simple, just do what you said you would do, you don't even have to shake on it. It's like having one of the traits of being a grown up.

-John

Last edited:
This entire issue is all about integrity, do you fly according to regulations, or do you find ways around them?

Several of us have already addressed that point, explaining that we are discussing how to COMPLY with both the letter AND the intent of the regulation, rather than trying to "find ways around" it.

If you see a flaw in our explanation, please say what you think it is. Instead, you're ignoring our reply and repeating the point that we already replied to. By doing so, you lead the discussion in circles instead of forward.

A passenger with integrity will offer to help with the expenses.

Here too you are being unwarrantedly judgmental. A passenger with integrity MIGHT offer money, or might not, depending on myriad circumstances. Saying that they WILL is unjustified.

I think there are cases where that's not enough--cases where finding loopholes, and satisfying the letter of the law while violating its spirit and purpose, might reasonably be considered unethical (even though not illegal).

That's why I added "And I know whether I'm trying to conduct a 134.5 operation or not."

Integrity is a personal choice, it is also a valuable trait to get you through your life.

In the case of this thread, it is not a complex issue. A passenger with integrity will offer to help with the expenses. A pilot with integrity will accept or reject that help in a way that will not tarnish his own image of himself.

Like I said earlier, your the PIC, besides you and your passengers, who the heck is going to know what takes place? This entire issue is all about integrity, do you fly according to regulations, or do you find ways around them?

It's simple, just do what you said you would do, you don't even have to shake on it. It's like having one of the traits of being a grown up.

-John

Only if the crowd you normally run with values integrity. I daresay in some circles, integrity is a liability and will get you tossed. You get to choose who you like to hang with.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back