Private Pilot License and Benzodiazepine Question

D

Deets

I've searched on Google and could not find a similar situation. I appreciate any feedback. Now for a little background info. I have wanted to get my pilot's license for as long as I can remember and finally have the time and money to pursue. I have started researching the private license and everything I have found online says the FAA does not allow any use of a Benzodiazepine, period. Several years ago I was diagnosed with Benign Essential Tremor. Basically it causes my head and hands to shake a little. It's hereditary and does not effect daily activities. When the symptoms first occurred I went to the doctor just to make sure nothing serious was happening. In the beginning I was embarrassed during certain social settings like business lunches when my hands would shake. I addressed this with my doctor and he prescribed .5mg of Clonazepam to take as needed for this. I didn't know anything about Benzodiazepine's and never gave it a second thought. I rarely take the medication and only refill the prescription before traveling for work so I will have a current prescription. I have not used the prescription in weeks or maybe months and would not have an issue never refilling the prescription again if that is what it would take. I don't suffer from depression or an anxiety disorder even though that is what the medication is typically used to treat.

Am I even a candidate for passing the medical exam since I have had this prescription filled here-and-there for several years? Or is this something that my doctor can sign off that I have not used in 90 or 180 days? I appreciate any input on this.

Pinging Doctor Lou and Doctor Bruce for their expert input. @lbfjrmd @bbchien

You are correct that you are prohibited from operating an aircraft with Benzodiazepine in your system.

But because you have this in your medical past doesn't automatically mean the death to your dream. The medical certification system does provide pathways for certain cases that permit certification under the special issuance process if all of the required steps are followed and all of the correct documentation is provided.

Also of importance is your underlying cause. But since I have never seen "benign essential tremor" discussed on the various discussion forums, I have no information to share.

Which is why I am pinging the two Senior Aviation Medical Examiners, Bruce Chien and Lou Fowler, to this thread so they can provide you the correct information and guidance.

In the meantime, do not just wander into the AME's office hoping you'll get it done without proper preparation. Wait until you have all of the information you need to be issued on the first throw.

Thank you for the reply. I have only found one article that discusses Essential Tremor and pilots. The link is below. My case is very mild and most of the time I do not have a shake. I fully agree with you that I need to gather all of the information possible and get approved on the first attempt.

https://www.essentialtremor.org/coping/personal-storiessharing/john-gijsen/
While we are waiting for Doctor Bruce or Doctor Lou to sign on and share information, I did find these mention of "Essential Tremor" in the AME Guide. See the entire page at this link and look at Footnote #12... https://www.faa.gov/about/office_or...m/ame/guide/app_process/exam_tech/item42/amd/

See if propranolol does it for your tremor. Benzos = verboten. Clonazepam, too. You need off x90 Days.

See if propranolol does it for your tremor. Benzos = verboten. Clonazepam, too. You need off x90 Days.

I really appreciate your response. I tried the propranolol first and it caused headaches which I have never had a problem with. I’ll discontinue the prescription with the Dr and wait 90 days.

@bbchien , Thank you for your response. I am currently waiting for the 90 day period to pass from when the doctor canceled the prescription even though I did not take the medication for weeks or months before the date. I understand this is a unique situation since the medication was not for depression or anxiety and want to have everything in order before meeting the AME. Just for full disclosure, I have a very small dose of Botox injected into the problem neck muscle quarterly and the tremor is non-existent. This is acceptable from what I read online. I have a couple of questions after reading everything I could find.

Will an AME have to defer my records to the FAA for a decision since I had a benzodiazepine prescription available for an extended time? I have also read that a person would have to undergo a psych evaluation for taking a benzodiazepine. Does this apply to this situation where depression or anxiety was not a factor for the medication?

I greatly appreciate your response and thank you for taking the time to answer questions from people like me.

I will defer to Dr. b on this for now ... will take some 'splainin to the FAA as reason for the benzos.

I will defer to Dr. b on this for now ... will take some 'splainin to the FAA as reason for the benzos.

Thanks for the reply. I worry about that ‘splainin because every thread I could find involves benzodiazepines relating to people suffering from depression or anxiety. I rarely used them and never would have filled a prescription had I known more about them. Surely the FAA has seen this before and has a procedure in place.

Also, I know Doctor Bruce is at capacity, but I’m open to a paid phone consultation if that is more appropriate.

Deets go to the web in My tag line and send me a message...you don’t need much help. Less than you think.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back