Private Pilot Ground School

Here is the only thing I know, since I haven't looked into it (Thanks Tim):

Ground instructor:

You take the tests and go to the FSDO and get the certificate.

The tests are:

Fundamentals of Instruction

Basic Ground Instructor (Commercial pilot knowledge of airplanes)

Instrument Ground Instructor (instrument pilot knowledge)

Advanced Ground Instructor (Commercial pilot knowledge of airplanes).

What most folks do is take the FOI, the AGI, and the IGI. That qualifies you to give any sort of ground instruction.

I wonder if there's a cram course for this?

I wonder if there's a cram course for this?
The Basic Ground Instructor and Advanced Ground Instructor tests both pull from the private and commercial pilot test banks, so any cram course for those would cover these test as well.

The Instrument Ground Instructor test pulls from the instrument pilot test so again, any cram course for that would cover this test as well.

The Fundamentals of Instruction testis also required for the Flight instructor rating. I don't know of any cram course for it, but I never looked.

Our flight school advertised ground school through the local community college as well. That's how I got started. My class was only the second one they did and we started with 17 students. By the end of the thirteen weeks, we were down to 14.

I took that class in the fall of 2010. Out of 14 that finished, we now have 5 pilots and a 6th a couple weeks from a checkride.

Topics of first class:

Introductions of all students

Slides about different pilot certs and requirements, medical, etc.

Cheesy video (Jepp?) covering all the different names of the major parts of the airplane (flaps, ailerons, stabilizers, cowling, tail feathers, etc).

Instructor saying basically what the video said

Assignment of homework (reading)

Review of the structure of class: quizzes, stage checks, guest speakers, field trips

That was written by Tim, long ago (copied and pasted). I'm sure some other CFI can help us with your question.

BGI is Private knowledge and can sign off for the PP knowledge test (as well as Sport and Recreational).
IGI is instrument and can sign off for the IR knowledge test.
AGI is Commercial and can sign off for Commercial, Private, Recreational, and Sport knowledge tests.

As far as what you take, AGI+IGI+FOI qualifies you for any ground instruction. If you only want to teach Private ground school, though, you don't really need to do more than FOI+BGI.

BTW, one thing you should start doing is practicing finding the answers to questions yourself. In this case, everything you want to know about ground instructors is found in FAR Part 61, Subpart I, sections 61.211 through 61.217. :thumbsup: I signed up for an account at askacfi.com (as a pilot, not a CFI, no false representations here) and started answering questions with proper attribution in the FAA materials. Worked my way up to being the top-rated poster (though that system is gone now) and then... Haven't done much since. Doh!

Good to know. Here is the list of materials sent to the students:

Text & Tools:

1. Jeppesen Guided Flight Discovery Private Pilot textbook (2007 edition or later.) Used editions can be found online at a reduced price.

2. Jeppesen Private Pilot FAA Airmen Knowledge Test Guide, latest edition.

3. Jeppesen Student Flight Computer (CSG) JS514101

4. ASA Rotating plotter and Jeppesen E6B Flight Computer.

Note: A web search for the above items will produce a number of online Pilot Supply stores.

A different brand of flight computer (not electronic) and plotter may be used if you already own these items.

Materials:

1. a pencil with eraser

2. calculator

3. red felt tipped pen

4. note paper

5. sectional chart (will be provided)

A calculator? Sad...:nonod:

Another update:

Last week (Thurs) take home quiz handed out. I got to borrow a copy of the text (thanks, you know who you are!) and then the class went as normal.

An announcement was made that we will have guest speakers during the next class.

A student pilot in the class has my primary CFI and my original flight school and my original trainer 152. He asked me the first week to email him more about Angel Flight and the second week I asked when his next lesson was.

He said "Saturday" so I planned to be at the airport. Heck, I need a flight anyhow.

I invited him up for the Bay Tour, plus landing at other airports, for free of course, and he was super thrilled.

I always love passengers but when they are that enthusiastic it is way more fun.

I warned him several times to "not do what I do" and to always "listen to his instructor" as I am NOT a CFI.

Tonight was awful because I was worse than the students.

Out came the plotters and E6Bs and Flight plan blank sheets with boxes to fill out.

I actually don't mind the plotter, sectional, or flight plan (minutes remaining, ETA, gallons used).

What I suck at is using the E6B correctly. I'm always forgetting a step or reading the wrong arc.

Tonight I finally got it after many tries and it all came back to me.

It was fun because I made friends with a student (I took him flying a while back). He has my same primary instructor and airplane and even told my ex-CFI that I took him up for a Bay Tour. He and I will meet next week at a Starbucks to go over all his questions. He is at almost 20 hours and has lots of simple questions.

I've never been a mentor before and am honored to get to show him how to find out why ATIS is once an hour or AWOS is not or how often a TAF comes out and how to read or translate one.

I must be a dork wanting to sit down at a coffee shop with all my old pilot text books with a student pilot.

I must be a dork wanting to sit down at a coffee shop with all my old pilot text books with a student pilot.

On the contrary, if more pilots would do that I'm guessing the GA world might be a little less likely to have so many discussions about extinction...

Just a newbie's perception

On the contrary, if more pilots would do that I'm guessing the GA world might be a little less likely to have so many discussions about extinction...

Just a newbie's perception

+1, totally agreed. If / when I get through all of this, I'd very much like to be a ground instructor as well. I think a good ground instructor working with a student pilot in a simulator could save so much frustration, time and money when the real flying starts. Just irritating to have seen too many examples of what not to do. No wonder why 80% bail...

The Basic Ground Instructor and Advanced Ground Instructor tests both pull from the private and commercial pilot test banks, so any cram course for those would cover these test as well.

The Instrument Ground Instructor test pulls from the instrument pilot test so again, any cram course for that would cover this test as well.

The Fundamentals of Instruction testis also required for the Flight instructor rating. I don't know of any cram course for it, but I never looked.
Sheppard Air...Google it.

More updates. This week and last we took out the E6B and did cross countries, VOR and "legacy" ADF etc.

Next week the DPE we all had will come to class (wonder if he'll recognize me).

I found a student pilot who emails, calls, texts, and we even met at a coffee shop to go over all his questions.

We flew a few months ago in the 150.

A new student stayed after class a while ago and I overheard the teacher tell him he should book a "discovery flight" so I knew he's never taken lessons. Or at least I think.

I casually said "I'll take him up". I have a rule, though, I will only bug somebody twice and then forget it (not gonna pull people's arms).

So he and his wife will meet me on Sunday to fly! They want to be a part of everything, preflight whatever. That will be so rewarding.

My PPL has FINALLY come full circle mentoring these two students. This is great.

Our flight on Sunday, he emailed me this and said he had a blast.

I've never seen it this CAVU.

FXsEa.jpg

Agree about the Jeppesen texts - I didn't like the one for PP, although it was complete.

I'm trying to read through Instrument/Commercial now and it's just not a good textbook. Rather than explain how things work, they're always trying to explain the Jeppesen way using Jeppesen charts to get the better Jeppesen answer and then explaining the FAA way. Honestly, it's about marketing their charts, not teaching instruments. If they wanted to teach, they wouldn't confuse things by trying to teach two things at once.

It's a severe turnoff to me - I'm not inclined to ever do business with Jeppesen again if I can avoid it.

Fantasic picture - what a beautiful place to fly.

Right about over Point Lobos, isn't it? Is the Cliff House still out there? Expensive, but what a view!

Fantasic picture - what a beautiful place to fly.

Right about over Point Lobos, isn't it? Is the Cliff House still out there? Expensive, but what a view!

The Cliff House is still there though they did a huge remodeling job. The mechanical museum moved to Fishermen's Wharf where more can enjoy it.

Though somewhat expensive, I sometimes take people for a drink at night when the waves crash up against the rocks right outside the window. Very unique restaurant setting.

More updates. This week and last we took out the E6B and did cross countries, VOR and "legacy" ADF etc.

Next week the DPE we all had will come to class (wonder if he'll recognize me).

I found a student pilot who emails, calls, texts, and we even met at a coffee shop to go over all his questions.

We flew a few months ago in the 150.

A new student stayed after class a while ago and I overheard the teacher tell him he should book a "discovery flight" so I knew he's never taken lessons. Or at least I think.

I casually said "I'll take him up". I have a rule, though, I will only bug somebody twice and then forget it (not gonna pull people's arms).

So he and his wife will meet me on Sunday to fly! They want to be a part of everything, preflight whatever. That will be so rewarding.

My PPL has FINALLY come full circle mentoring these two students. This is great.

Kim:

It is indeed great, and I salute you for your enthusiasm and for your exceptional determination to share the magic of flight.

The Cliff House is still out there, remodeled about 10 (?) years ago. They also have a new visitor's center at Land's End which opened a few months ago. It's in the parking lot above the old Sutro Baths.

2012-05-22%20at%2020-39-14-M.jpg

Kim:

It is indeed great, and I salute you for your enthusiasm and for your exceptional determination to share the magic of flight.

Thank you. He had such a good time that I think I have a new order of things:

Order of passengers from best / most fun to worst:

1. Pilots (always the best since I often learn from them)

2. Student pilots / potential student pilots (should be a tie for first because they are often very thankful and have a ton of fun)

3. Non pilots who are having fun (very fun but not as fun as those who have the bug)

4. Non pilots who do NOT want to be there (hoping this never happens but sometimes people do bring along significant others)

Unknown are animals and children, with the exception of Young Eagles.

Back