Private Pilot Ground School Materials

Greg Bockelman

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Greg Bockelman
I have a friend who is looking for some real world ground school material. Not just something to teach the test, but something that teaches what you really need to know. I am so far removed from that aspect of it that I don't know what is available. Any ideas?

I believe the Bill Kershner books and the Jeppensen books are great for stand alone materials. The Jep private pilot kit would be a decent start.

I'd ditto Scott. I've only seen Machado's stuff online and other resoures but he's a wealth of information and does a fantastic job at putting it across.

I have a friend who is looking for some real world ground school material. Not just something to teach the test, but something that teaches what you really need to know. I am so far removed from that aspect of it that I don't know what is available. Any ideas?

Greg,
I taught a Private ground school at our local community college.
We used Gleim's Private Pilot Kit, that includes
Gleim Flight Bag
Flight Computer
FAR/AIM (Flight bag size 7in x 9in)
Pilot Logbook
Pilot Handbook,
Navigational Plotter
Private Flight Maneuvers,
Private Pilot FAA Knowledge Test,
Private Pilot Knowledge Test test prep CD-Rom
Private Pilot Syllabus, 5
Private Pilot Training Record
The students had the option of buying ala carte
I required them to have at a minimum..

Gleim's Flight Computer ,I wanted every one to have the EXACT came e6b

Gleims FAR/AIM If I wanted them to go to page 176, everyone was looking at the same info.

Pilot Handbook

Private Pilot FAA Knowledge Test,

I HIGHLY recommend (if time permits) using Aviation Weather and Weather Services ,The FAA's weather publications in one reference book. Aviation Weather (AC 00-6A) and Aviation Weather Services (AC 00-45E)
as a supplement to the WX covered in the Handbook..

I do admit for ME, Jepp's Manual is "better" however,they charge too much
$15.95 for the Gleim Manual vs. $73.95 for Jepp

Hope this helps.

My 2¢:

Get the PTS then go to the front and look at the list of documents. All of them are ACs or Handbooks that you can download for free from http://www.faa.gov.

They contain everything you need.

Something you don't need but that I would recommend is the Gleim written test prep software. I can recommend it as the best software.

BTW while Machado is fine for some I cannot stand his writing style. Inofrmation is fine but not my style.

I don't like DVD videos either. I'm a reader and I'm serious about it.

Joe

My experience with Gleim is that it's great for the test, but doesn't delve that much into ancillary materials that you need for real-world flying. However, my experience has been with their Test Prep books, so that is their intentional focus. For real-world, I'll join Scott and others in recommending Machado, though I will acknowledge that his humorous style isn't for everyone. OTOH, he does have it available on audio CD, so students can listen to it while commuting!

I agree on the Gleim test prep software. It's practice test questions with some explanation. I does a good job of keeping track of things like questions never answered, questions never answered correctly, questions ever answered incorrectly...

My study technique is to look over all the material and get an idea of whats involved. Read and take practice tests. I use the practice tests to identify my weak areas and then go read very carefully the references on those topices. Repeat until I can get high 90's on the practice test.

I think the bottom line is the textbooks all do a decent job of organizing the material for the written test. They contain nothing of substance that the FAA docs don't.

Joe

ps. I also agree on the Machado books. Several of my students have used them and done fine. It's just that I haven't been able to sit down and read more than a few pages at a time. Usually I like crappy jokes and forced humor (see my posts in Friday Jokes).

Well, if no one else is going to recommend THE COMPLETE PRIVATE PILOT, I will.

I try my darndest to ensure that the answer (or the background for) every knowledge test question can be found somewhere in my books, so you could say that the written is the skeleton. I flesh it out with 40 years of experience in general aviation, most of it instruction of one kind or another.

Try it, you'll like it. No jokes or cartoons.

Bob Gardner

I try my darndest to ensure that the answer (or the background for) every knowledge test question can be found somewhere in my books, so you could say that the written is the skeleton. I flesh it out with 40 years of experience in general aviation, most of it instruction of one kind or another.

Bob Gardner
Glad to see you on the good side of the force Bob!

I never used your PP materials so I cannot recomended them. But I did use your Complete Advanced Pilot book for my commercial and that I do highly recommend.

Hey Bob - good to see you! (well, in a virtual sort of way, of course). :)

I really enjoyed the Machado book for the private. If you're humor-averse, while I didn't use his private book, I've found Bill Kershner's books to be pretty darn good - I just ordered the flight instructor one and the aerobatics one.

In addition to Bob's "Complete Advanced Pilot" book, I also have the Complete Multi-engine Pilot. Hopefully I'll actually put it to use sometime soon.

Bob Gardner

We used Bob's book in my ground school about 2 years ago, and I was very impressed with how efficiently he put the point across. I had read Rod's book before taking the class, and I like both equally, but Bob's was more straight forward and to the point. Not a lot of fluff. I found myself taking out Bob's book more often while studying for the written. (92% - thanks Bob!)

The flight school I started with used the Cessna Pilot Center materials, which is a combination of Cessna and J&M King's program. I had to do the lessons and log them into the computer at the school. In the end, I use Mr. Gardner's and Mr. Machado's books to learn the material, then took the Cessna quizzes to get credit for the lessons.

I'll put a plug in for Dauntless-Soft'sGround School test software. They do a great job in keeping it up to date. It's inexpensive and it can simulate LaserGrade & CAATS tests. Usual disclaimers... I just use their stuff and like it.

For just taking the test, Gleim. For a really good understanding of the principles and filling in the holes, I highly recommend Bob Gardner's "Complete Private Pilot" book.

It helped me a lot--it explained things in a way that made sense to me. I turned my instructor on to it also. She had me using the Jeppesen huge texbook which is really good, but Bob's book was easy to read and explained things really well--like someone talking to you. The Jepp book relied a lot on diagrams (which I hate).

I don't do boring, dry text and diagrams very well (not a visual learner I guess). "The Complete Private Pilot" was great for me because it was interesting and not "textbooky". I found that when I didn't "get" something in Jeppesen book, I'd read "Complete Private Pilot" on same subject and he would explain it differently and it would be like a light coming on...oh, I get it now!

Bobmrg--had no idea you are the same person that wrote the book until just now. It really helped me a lot! :yes: Excellent book!

Bobmrg--had no idea you are the same person that wrote the book until just now. It really helped me a lot! :yes: Excellent book![/quote]

I try to visualize myself sitting at a table with a student, charts and books all over the place. Then I talk to the student and refer to the published material as necessary. Thanks to you and the other posters for the strokes...

Bob Gardner

I have 2 good suggestions: Rod Machado's Private Pilot Handbook, and privatepilotexam.com.

Both excellent sources of knowledge.

Well, Bob, here's a plug for you!!!

I used Bob's "The Complete Private Pilot" in conjunction with the Jeppesen Private Pilot text. Bob's book provides more of a "real world" feel than does the Jeppesen. Both are good references; I wouldn't rely on any one source. Maybe Bob's book plus the FAA book would be the most cost-effective, as the Jepp text is pricy. I could read TCPP without falling asleep; the same can't be said for ANYTHING put out by the FAA.

Mind you, I would also recommend "Say Again, Please," also by our friend Bob G. While the topic is radio comms, I found it very useful for cross country flights in general.

Nope. I don't know Bob. Never met him. Don't get any money for endorsements. I just like his stuff.

Just say I was thinking about securing my Commercial- where would I buy Mr. Gardner's tome?

Just say I was thinking about securing my Commercial- where would I buy Mr. Gardner's tome?
I was snooping around for just that reason. I looked at my wholesale source with the idea of including it in resources to have later on for students. But, for now the cheapest source for many items continues to be Skygeek.com. Their prices are barely above my wholesale costs. I've referred many calls there still seeking me out to buy a radio.

Here's a link to all of Bob Gardner's books at Skygeek.com.

So let me get this straight. A formal ground school or even a do it yourself home kit is not required for the ppl? Just be reading a few books is sufficient? Is a review with a CFI required if you do a home kit or something along those lines?

CFI must endorse you as prepared and ready for the knowledge exam. ground training is supposed to be logged for both the knowledge and practical exam. it often is overlooked. it may or may not formally take place but i know a lot of examples where it doesnt end up in the book.

Sporty's, Borders, Barnes and Noble, almost all pilot supply shops (if they don't carry it, their distributor can get it)...

You can go to www.asa2fly.com or call 800-272-2359, but they do not like to compete with their distributors/retailers and will probably refer you to a source near your home.

Bob

CFI must endorse you as prepared and ready for the knowledge exam. ground training is supposed to be logged for both the knowledge and practical exam. it often is overlooked. it may or may not formally take place but i know a lot of examples where it doesnt end up in the book.
Yes, historically, this has been "overlooked," but the FAA is cracking down on this, and has told the DPE's to check for it on practical tests. These days, anyone who shows up for a practical test for a certificate or rating requiring ground training without documentation (logbook or other training record) of an appropriate number of hours of ground training is risking being sent home without being tested, and the instructor who signed the 8710 is likely to get a "let's talk" call from the FSDO.

A formal ground school or even a do it yourself home kit is not required for the ppl? Just be reading a few books is sufficient?
It might be, or it might not, but that's a matter of how you learn, not FAA legalities. However, if you just "read a few books," your regular instructor is going to have to go over the material with you to confirm you know it, and log the training time spent doing that.
Is a review with a CFI required if you do a home kit or something along those lines?
Some of the home study kits will, upon completion, provide you with an instructor endorsement from the kit-maker's "house" instructor. If not, you'll have to get your regular instructor to sign the endorsement, which should require a review of your knowledge with that instructor.

So let me get this straight. A formal ground school or even a do it yourself home kit is not required for the ppl?

Nope. As long as you learn the material, it doesn't matter HOW you learn it. Good for the FAA to recognize that different folks learn differently.

Just be reading a few books is sufficient? Is a review with a CFI required if you do a home kit or something along those lines?

CFI must endorse you for the written test. In my case, I showed my CFI a few good practice test scores from Sporty's and we'd talked about some things so he had a pretty good idea that I knew my stuff.

As mentioned by Tony and Ron, ground is supposed to be in the logbook but I have none in mine. There's no specific spot for it. At least my CFII kept track of it...

As mentioned by Tony and Ron, ground is supposed to be in the logbook
The word "supposed" suggests that it is recommended but not optional; this is not true. The required ground training must be logged, and the FAA is very strongly encouraging DPE's to check for it when giving practical tests.

but I have none in mine. There's no specific spot for it.
Most modern student logbooks have a couple of pages in the back for ground training. In any event, you can (if you so choose) log it in the main section just like a flight, but using one of the blank columns and titling it "Ground Training" -- this isn't common, but it's possible. Another method would be to create a separate ground training log that includes all the elements required for logging ground training by 14 CFR 61.51 (date, type of training, subjects covered, and training time) -- I've seen this before, too.

At least my CFII kept track of it...
...on a paper or in other form, one would hope, which you can keep and show to the DPE or FAA.

So is there a minimum time that is required for ground training, or do you just keep at it untill the CFI is sure you can pass the written and he blesses you with the endorsement?

So is there a minimum time that is required for ground training, or do you just keep at it untill the CFI is sure you can pass the written and he blesses you with the endorsement?

d) Receive a logbook endorsement from an authorized instructor who:

(1) Conducted the training or reviewed the person's home study on the aeronautical knowledge areas listed in §61.105(b) of this part that apply to the aircraft rating sought; and

(2) Certified that the person is prepared for the required knowledge test.

§ 61.105 Aeronautical knowledge.

(a) General. A person who is applying for a private pilot certificate must receive and log ground training from an authorized instructor or complete a home-study course on the aeronautical knowledge areas of paragraph (b) of this section that apply to the aircraft category and class rating sought.

Thanks for the clarification. I was about to drop $300+ for a ground school class plus books (another nice chunk of change). I'm a bit better with a self study program than I am in the classroom environment. I'd rather learn myself, review for the endorsement, and then let the adventure begin.

The word "supposed" suggests that it is recommended but not optional; this is not true. The required ground training must be logged, and the FAA is very strongly encouraging DPE's to check for it when giving practical tests.
Ron,
Skipp posted the reg, and it seems to allow an instructor to log the training or the student to take a home-study course, in which case it wouldn't be logged. How, in your experience, have DPEs been told to deal with that?

Ron,
Skipp posted the reg, and it seems to allow an instructor to log the training or the student to take a home-study course, in which case it wouldn't be logged. How, in your experience, have DPEs been told to deal with that?
I think you're referring to such programs as those by King Schools. Successful completion will get you a certificate which would stand as an endorsement for the written. The endorsement need not be actually in the logbook.

Here is a scenario,
A student comes an Advanced Ground Instructor, wants to take the written.
He has studied on he own and feels ready.
AGI would ask to see his study materials.
Then send him/her to Mywrittenexam.com or some equivalent. take at least three complete tests.
If he/she scores 85 or better on three consecutive test, AGI would then endorse them for the "written"

Any one see any problems with this??

I think you're referring to such programs as those by King Schools. Successful completion will get you a certificate which would stand as an endorsement for the written. The endorsement need not be actually in the logbook.
I realize that I should have been clearer. Training itself wouldn't be logged by any instructor, but a certification that an instructor found the student ready to take the knowledge exam would be, though not necessarily in the student's log book. Home study providers (King, Gleim, et al) usually will provide that certification after you provide them evidence that you've taken the sample exams with good results, as you indicate. You then just take that to whomever will be administering the exam.
cherokeeflyboy said:
Here is a scenario,
A student comes an Advanced Ground Instructor, wants to take the written.
He has studied on he own and feels ready.
AGI would ask to see his study materials.
Then send him/her to Mywrittenexam.com or some equivalent. take at least three complete tests.
If he/she scores 85 or better on three consecutive test, AGI would then endorse them for the "written"
And I think that CFB's scenario seems quite reasonable.

i guess we shouldve said that the instructor will either put the ground instruction in the log, or make an endorsement for the students home study course.

Thanks again everyone for the responses. They are going a long way toward me forming the best course of action to slipping the surly bonds as sole manipulator of the controls.

If the trainee has done a home study course that does not include a CFI-signed course completion certificate (as King includes), the instructor's 61.35(a)(1)/61.103(d) endorsement would have to reflect that s/he has verified course completion. As for the DPE's instructions from the FAA, the Examiner's Handbook merely states, "The examiner must verify that the applicant meets all eligibility and experience requirements for the certificate or rating sought." (FAA Order 8710.3, Chapter 5, paragraph 19E.)

I'm sitting in on a 14-week ground course, and the first meeting was tonight. They said that they would provide their own test (not comprised of FAA questions) on which the student must get 80% before they'll sign them off to take the knowledge exam. And then they had to go and ruin it by saying that if you can demonstrate a passing grade on a few of the Internet tests, a la privatepilotexam.com or Sportys they will sign you off too. They also explicitly said that they are not teaching to the test. So far, they seem to be doing pretty well, and they're going to be using Jeppesen.

I realize that I should have been clearer. Training itself wouldn't be logged by any instructor, but a certification that an instructor found the student ready to take the knowledge exam would be, though not necessarily in the student's log book. Home study providers (King, Gleim, et al) usually will provide that certification after you provide them evidence that you've taken the sample exams with good results, as you indicate. You then just take that to whomever will be administering the exam.

And I think that CFB's scenario seems quite reasonable.

61.105: A person who is applying for a private pilot certificate must receive and log ground training from an authorized instructor...

Bob Gardner

Back