Private Pilot Certificate Checklist summary.

bluesideup

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
bluesideup

Hi everyone.
Below I have a Checklist summary and I am not sure if there are any missing items that are required? Your feedback is appreciated.
I have some specific questions about the US Citizenship / national (born in USA) endorsement, see below. I was told that can be an issue, i.e. if a student is born in USA you must use the Birth certificate only, for the endorsement, and endorse as "national" you cannot use a US passport to endorse as "national" only as US citizen?
I've been told that some DPEs request that specifically?

>>I certify that (insert student’s name) has presented me a (insert type of document presented, such as a U.S. birth certificate or U.S. passport, and the relevant control or sequential number on the document, if any) establishing that (he or she) is a U.S. citizen or national in accordance with 49 CFR 1552.3(h). <<

Requirements to Obtain a Private Pilot Certificate
Prerequisites

-Valid student pilot certificate and third-class medical (or greater)

-At least 17 years old

-Read, speak, write, and understand English

-70% or better score on private pilot knowledge test

Minimum Aeronautical Experience

Minimum Aeronautical Experience

-40 hours of flight time, including at least

-20 hours of training time (this means dual instruction)

-3 hours of cross-country flight training

-3 hours night flight training

-1 night XC training flight greater than 100nm

-10 takeoffs and 10 landings to a full stop at an airport

-3 hours of simulated instrument time

-3 hours of practical test prep flights within the preceding 2

calendar months with a CFI

-10 hours of solo flight time

-5 hours of solo cross country time

-One solo cross-country flight of 150nm total distance, with fullstop

landings at three points, and one segment of the flight w/

straight-line distance of at least 50nm between takeoff and landing

locations.

-3 takeoffs and landings to a full stop (each with a flight in the

pattern) at an airport with an operating control tower.

Endorsements Required for the Checkride

Practical Test Endorsement – Certifies you're ready for the checkride.

Recent Training Endorsement – Certifies you have the 3 hours of dual in the last 2 months.

Knowledge Test Endorsement or Review of Home Study Curriculum (§61.103)

Knowledge Test Deficient Areas Endorsement – Certifies your instructor has gone back

over, and trained you on knowledge test questions you missed.

U.S. Citizenship/Alien Endorsement – Certifies U.S. citizenship w/ appropriate document

Number.

Pre-Solo Aeronautical Knowledge Test Endorsement – Certifies successful

completion of pre-solo written test per 61.87.

Pre-Solo Flight Training Endorsement – Your initial solo endorsement for a make &

model.

Initial and Subsequent Solo 90-Day Currency Endorsements – Your solo currency

must be up-to-date for the checkride

Initial Solo Cross Country Endorsement – This certifies your approval to make cross

country flights in a make & model.

Solo Cross Country Endorsements – This certifies that your CFI checked your pre-flight

planning before your solo cross country flight(s).

Any Student Pilot Specific Endorsements Necessary for the Checkride – i.e. a

class B or XC endorsement if the checkride will be conducted at an airport requiring one.

What exactly are you wanting to know?

The DPE doesn’t ask to see your birth certificate, they just look at the logbook endorsement.

Hi Ryan.
The basic question is , can you use the US passport to sign off as national, without seeing the birth certificate?

What exactly are you wanting to know?

The DPE doesn’t ask to see your birth certificate, they just look at the logbook endorsement.

The DPE doesn't look at that either. A logbook endorsement is not required. The instructor may choose to endorse the logbook or keep a copy of the birth certificate or passport for 5 years.

Hi Ryan.
The basic question is , can you use the US passport to sign off as national, without seeing the birth certificate?

I don't know what you mean by "sign off as national". You just need to prove your citizenship. You can do that either with a birth certificate and photo ID, or a current US passport. This is done at the beginning of training, not the end.

Yes, you can use a passport to prove citizenship. I don't know where this "birth cert only" idea came from.

I think the residents of American Samoa are the only Americans who are only "nationals" instead of "citizens", so for most Americans the distinction is not important.

The logbook endorsement is not required because there are other ways to document a citizenship check, but a lot of CFIs choose to document it this way. Because of this, a lot of misinformation seems to have sprung up about it... it's a TSA thing, not an FAA thing, so you can't look it up in the FAR's. Non-citizens can get PPL's too, with a different kind of blessing from the TSA.

Look up TSA training for flight instructors. King and others offer the course online for free. I bet the system doesn’t check to see if you have a CFI certificate. You can take the whole course if you like. And plenty of documentation out there about it.

The only current controversy I’m currently aware of is whether or not the new passport card is acceptable over a full passport, if a passport is utilized as the identifying document. Best to bring the real deal, or a different qualifying document to make life easier for everyone.

Back