Private airport inside of a Delta

texasag93

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
texasag93
What rules and regulations (and hoops) do I have to deal with if I try to place a private airstrip within a Class D airspace.

There are 2 others in our home drome, but want to see what you guys know.

I also assume that I have to talk to their tower before taking off. That is not an issue, they are a great group.

You pretty much have it.

The FAA won't stop you from building it (local city / town might, see zoning).

Examples:

Airpark Dallas (F69), inside Addison's Delta space- you just call 'em from the ground (if they can hear you), or as soon as you take off (when they always can); inbound, contact 'em just like you're inbound to the big-daddy airport.

How about Twin Oaks (T94), inside San Antonio's Charlie? Same gig.

Question for historians...

I recall from the 1970's or so that the language of the FAR was something like,

"No person shall operate an aircraft to, from or on an airport with an operating control tower, unless..."

I recall that meant that if you were landing at or taking off from a satellite airport, no radio contact with the primary tower was required.

I see the language is different now.

Am I misremembering? Would not be the first time! :rolleyes2:

That language is still there, in 14 CFR 91.126(g) and 14 CFR 91.127(c).

However, there is additional language for Class D in 14 CFR 91.129(c)(1).

Control towers are for runways, not necessarily airspace. Some counterexamples would be Half Moon Bay during the airshow (it's Class G, but has a temporary tower), or Vancouver, WA (no tower, but it's still Class D -- you contact Portland Tower for "advisories").

Getting an OK from the city F69 and T94 was when the city did not care, now they care because they get 7% of all gas at the local airport.

They want their money!

Getting an OK from the city F69 and T94 was when the city did not care, now they care because they get 7% of all gas at the local airport.

They want their money!

Are you going to have a fuel station, or will they get their tax from someplace nearby?

I also assume that I have to talk to their tower before taking off. That is not an issue, they are a great group.

Not true.

91.129(c)(2)(ii):
From a satellite airport without an operating control tower, must establish and maintain two-way radio communications with the ATC facility having jurisdiction over the Class D airspace area as soon as practicable after departing.

Are you going to have a fuel station, or will they get their tax from someplace nearby?

I do not have a plan for a fuel station, but that may be something I offer.

I would probably buy a fuel truck or trailer.

Back