Private Aircraft Manager

labbadabba

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
labbadabba
So, does anyone do this? Kinda like a property manager. Often times, owners of rental properties will hire a property manager to do all the dirty work of maintaining the property. Are there individuals that do this for GA aircraft?

Someone who is responsible for making sure all maintenance is performed, SBs & ADs, book keeping, etc.?

That person could have a book of planes he/she is responsible for so the owner only has to worry about pulling the plane out and go flying.

Anything like that exist? Is there a market for such a thing?

Yes there is. I have two friends that manage everything from singles to jets to warbirds. The last I heard one had 13 planes and the other about 7. Price? No clue. They both can just call and say "I am taking this plane for a few days" and it is always ok. Gives them access to a nice airplane and it is always in the interest of checking out the planes to make sure they are ready.
I would love to do something like this when I retire in a few months. Both of my friends say it can be a MAJOR MAJOR headache at times. They comment that they are not a slave nor a errand boy. The airplane is clean, fueled and ready to go and all maintenance has been performed beyond that...nada.
If I did it and you wanted someone to load your bags, tell you how great your are etc.....not a problem....it comes with a big price though.

For how many planes?

A fleet, yeah, there are folks and systems you can buy/pay for that.

For a single plane, just the owner and a little moleskin notepad with a pen in the glove box with when things are due, it's part of the preflight, easy peasy

For how many planes?

For a single plane, just the owner and a little moleskin notepad with a pen in the glove box with when things are due, it's part of the preflight, easy peasy

The idea would be to have a book of planes that a person could manage. I'm sure there are plenty of aircraft owners who love flying but don't love the rest of it (or maybe simply don't have time to worry about it). An aircraft manager could work on retainer and make sure everything is tip top at all times.

I realize this isn't for everyone, certainly not a bush pilot who likes to turn his own wrenches but there are owners out there I'm sure who are in this boat...

Yes, there are aircraft management firms/companies. From what I have seen, the full service ones (like what you seem to be asking) usually handle corporate type aircraft mostly. As far as the guy who owns a 172 but doesn't much care for tracking inspections or other mx, can probably just build a solid relationship with his or her A&P and go from there.

With all of that said, if there is a market for this in the small GA aircraft community, I would certainly have an interest as a manager for pilots. Seems like a fun way to be an entrepreneur, and be involved in aviation. If you find more details, please post up! Good luck!

For how many planes?

They do exist for even small piston singles.

Not uncommon with leasebacks. Often times you'll have an owner (common with military guys) who is gone much of the year and wants the airplane to fly/earn some money while they are out of town, so they put it on leaseback with someone (could be the school/FBO or a separate individual) managing the day to day operation, for a small fee.

Our A&P does basically that as part of his service. Keeps up on ADs, inspections, logs, etc. If we need him to fill the plane with fuel it's not a problem, we just pay a little more for gas.

Our A&P does basically that as part of his service. Keeps up on ADs, inspections, logs, etc. If we need him to fill the plane with fuel it's not a problem, we just pay a little more for gas.

I've seen a number of mechanics who do that at the smaller airports. It's usually because they're looking for the work...

As others have already said, aircraft management exists. I've typically seen it associated with corporate aircraft and/or cabin class size airplanes and larger. Sometimes it will be a third party doing the management, sometimes it will be expected of the chief pilot of the operation.

I haven't run into too many guys with smaller piston singles or twins who have someone manage their airplane maintenance. I have however run into a lot of guys who should, because a lot of owners I know couldn't tell you when their annual is due let alone if/when an AD is due and if any are past due or if there is any recommended maintenance that should be done to preserve the airplane in its current condition.

I manage a few airplanes for one guy, but they are low enough use that it really doesn't take much to stay on top of them. The most burdensome task is dealing with the GPS subscriptions and making sure they're all up to date.

Makes me wonder what kind of liability/insurance I would need, would I need a CPL, A&P? I'm pretty good with books and even better with technology and could easily build a database that could handle the logistics.

There's a 141 school where I sometimes rent and I love how all their paperwork (oil changes, ADs, XPDR/ELT/PitotStatic/Altimeter, 100 hr, annual, VOR checks, etc.) are all right there for you in the binder. Same with CAP planes, everything is there for you ready to go. I know there are plenty of owners who don't stay on top of stuff like this. I could deal with managing engine and MX reserves, helping owners plan and budget.

Planes that don't get much flying time in that need to be flown around the patch for an hour or so just to stay healthy, ferry flights for annuals, that kind of thing.

I know of a couple A&Ps that do it as well as a few FBOs and even a flight school I know of offers the service.

My mechanic has about four customers that don't fly their planes enough to keep them healthy so the mechanic flies them. He especially likes the Stearman and the Maule.

The smart thing for people in need of this service to do would be to find someone who needs a plane to fly and let them fly it in exchange for their time doing all the leg work on it, washing it, making sure oil changes happen, maintenance is done, etc.

Plenty of handshake deals like go on. Costs you nothing and you are making sure the plane is flown regularly, which is good for it.

But I guess I could see richer owners of newer SE/ME pistons taking advantage of a management service. I'm sure you'd need to be an A&P to have any real credibility though.

Back