Prior USMC officer looking to join Air Guard...

Richard Rybolt

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
ryb513
Hello all, I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions regarding getting picked up as a pilot by an Air National Guard unit? I am a prior Marine Officer (ground, not air) and I am about finished with attaining my private pilot license. Does anyone have any experience with the process of joining the guard and does anyone know of any units that are short on pilots and would be open to taking a private pilot?

I would call the local Air National Guard recruiter. Since you're prior service, not doubt with an Honorable Discharge, I would imagine they would scoop you right up. But, I'm not real sure what being a PPL really brings to the table. You'll likely only have maybe 100 hours PIC, when you apply. I'd guess they would be very interested in you as a ground Officer, but as a pilot, not so much. But...never hurts to ask.

Semper Fi

The worst that can happen is they will say "No".
I don't know if things have changed, but back in the day (when we were still flying Spads and Neuports), a PPL didn't count for much. They claimed it just "interfered" with learning the military way.

Hello all, I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions regarding getting picked up as a pilot by an Air National Guard unit? I am a prior Marine Officer (ground, not air) and I am about finished with attaining my private pilot license. Does anyone have any experience with the process of joining the guard and does anyone know of any units that are short on pilots and would be open to taking a private pilot?
PM me.

I would call the local Air National Guard recruiter. Since you're prior service, not doubt with an Honorable Discharge, I would imagine they would scoop you right up. But, I'm not real sure what being a PPL really brings to the table. You'll likely only have maybe 100 hours PIC, when you apply. I'd guess they would be very interested in you as a ground Officer, but as a pilot, not so much. But...never hurts to ask.

Semper Fi
This isn't correct. Do not call the recruiter. That's not how pilot slots are filled in the ANG.

The worst that can happen is they will say "No".
I don't know if things have changed, but back in the day (when we were still flying Spads and Neuports), a PPL didn't count for much. They claimed it just "interfered" with learning the military way.
It's changed. In our ANG unit a PPL was the minimum to be qualified for an interview.

Last edited:
I had a friend who married the base commander's daughter. He was sent to flight school!!

What kind of unit is it ? If it's Guard fighters that's gonna be a tough nut coming from the outside. If it's Hercs or tankers they'll be much more amenable.

The Guard hires off the street all the time and sends people to UPT. I know a lawyer who just got picked up. He's going to real SUPT, his unit is primary drones but they have a San Antonio Sewer pipe for the guys to fly.

Back