Prior substance abuse

J

John Krasinski

Hi, my name is John and I am looking to pursue a PPL or LSA cert.

I have no criminal history but did have a substance abuse issue that will be on my medical history. I am looking for advice/opinions as to wether or not I could obtain a class 3 medical cert with my record.

Brief summary, I was addicted to opiates for several years, pretty bad deal. I attended a few rehabs which I did not complete. I eventually found success with maintenance medication and went to a clinic for almost two years before tapering off. I will be almost 5 years clean from illegal substances, 3 from maintenance meds when I begin flight training or apply for medical. Substance abuse has been in clinical remission for quite some time already and I will meet the FAA required 2+ years total abstinence, although I will have no documentation proving so.

My question is, do I have a chance at class 3 medical, will I have to go HIMS route, and what about LSA?

I have read other substance abuse issues here and several people suggest a sport license since they can't get a medical, and if you're denied a medical that door is closed. From what I have read, a past substance abuse issue is disqualifying for a DL sport cert because of a known condition that would deny a class 3 medical...

If a SI medical is my only option, and HIMS is the only way to that, so be it. I believe finances will prevent me from going that route though. Am I missing something with the LSA cert about disqualifying medical issues?

If any other information is needed, I will gladly provide it.

Thank you.

You mention reading many past threads discussing issues similar to yours, and you already appear to know what might be needed to progress forward.

So then you should already know that there are just two individuals properly qualified to answer your "can I still fly?" and "is HIMS and an SI in my future.

These two individuals are Dr Bruce Chien (@bbchien), and Dr. Lou Fowler (@lbfjrmd).

My suggestion is switch your mode of inquiry away from Internet forums and proceed directly to them.

Dr. Bruce can be contacted through his site, http://www.aeromedicaldoc.com/how-to-start.html

Dr. Lou can be contacted through his email, lbfjrmd@gmail.com

All oher members here, including myself, are well meaninged an would like to help, but since we are not highly experienced Aviation Medical Examiners, we run the risk of providing you inaccurate information. For the situation you described and the questions you posed, you are better served speaking with one of these two AME's

Last edited:
You mention reading many past threads discussing issues similar to yours, and you already appear to know what might be needed to progress forward.

So then you should already know that there are just two individuals properly qualified to answer your "can I still fly?" and "is HIMS and an SI in my future.

These two individuals are Dr Bruce Chien (@bbchien), and Dr. Lou Fowler (@lbfjrmd).

My suggestion is switch your mode of inquiry away from Internet forums and proceed directly to them.

Dr. Bruce can be contacted through his site, http://www.aeromedicaldoc.com/how-to-start.html

Dr. Lou can be contacted through his email, lbfjrmd@gmail.com

All oher members here, including myself, are well meaninged an would like to help, but since we are not highly experienced Aviation Medical Examiners, we run the risk of providing you inaccurate information. Or he situation you described and the questions you posed, you are better served speaking with one of these two AME's
What he said.

Good luck to you!

What he said.

Good luck to you!

Also agree wholeheartedly.

But for the edification of others reading this post, here is what the FAA says:

Sport Pilot Medical Certification Questions and Answers

Provided I otherwise qualify and have never sought FAA medical certification, am I authorized to exercise sport pilot privileges on the basis of a current and valid driver's license if I have a chronic medical condition such as diabetes?

Response by the Federal Air Surgeon
You should consult your private physician to determine whether you have a medical deficiency that would interfere with the safe performance of sport piloting duties. You may exercise sport pilot privileges provided you are in good health, your medical condition is under control, you adhere to your physician's recommended treatment, and you feel satisfied that you are able to conduct safe flight operations.
https://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/medical_certification/sportpilots/response5/

My interpretation of this is that you may operate under Sport Pilot as long as 1.) your state does not deny you a drivers license, 2.) you adhered to the 2 year abstinence rule, 3.) your doctor agrees you are safe to fly and 4.) you yourself feel you are safe to fly.

But I strongly agree with Mike that you should seek the answer from one of the doctors referenced.

You do not have to meet the third class qualifications to fly under driver's license rules.
True, however, I think that the core of John's question relates to FAR §61.13 (c)(2)(iv)

"Not know or have reason to know of any medical condition that would make that person unable to operate a light-sport aircraft in a safe manner."

And remember, this isn't just a "single point" item, applying to when the sport pilot enters the cockpit and starts the engine. This is part of the "Have you ever in your life..." requirements from the FAA.

Recall from the original post that John stated that he has no documentation for his journey to be sober. As such, he may not yet meet the FAA criteria to satisfy the regulations with regards to medical items.

So while what you said about not needing to meet third class qualifications to fly as Sport Pilot is true in its general sense, there are still some specifics that can cause John to get wound around a bad axle. Therefore, gaining the proper education from Dr. Lou and Dr. Bruce remains highly advised.

Answer the mission question first and go from there.

What type of flying do you want to do? If you want to fly solo, maybe with an occasional passenger, daytime VFR only, then a Sport ticket may be all you'll need and would avoid whatever medical approvals the Class 3 will require.

OTOH, if you want to haul your wife and six kids on coast-to-coast trips; if you'll fly for business; if you'll want an IFR rating; if you want to fly professionally; etc., you'll need the medical and a PPL.

And remember, this isn't just a "single point" item, applying to when the sport pilot enters the cockpit and starts the engine. This is part of the "Have you ever in your life..." requirements from the FAA.

Mike, are you saying that the questions on the class 3 medical application somehow apply to a Sport ticket and driver's license medical? I can't get that from the FAR.

By what you seem to be saying, if someone had a DUI bust a decade ago, he can't fly under Sport even though he now has a valid driver's license. I don't believe that's true. And if it were, it would apply to almost any SI situation, and would pretty much make the driver's license rule null.

Probably I'm misunderstanding you.

Mike, are you saying that the questions on the class 3 medical application somehow apply to a Sport ticket and driver's license medical? I can't get that from the FAR.
I'm expressing an opinion. But backed up from past discussions I have participated in on different boards with top line AME's such as Dr. Bruce.

Which, again, is why I am saying for the "final word", the aiman applicant should see a very well qualified AME such as Dr. Bruce or Dr. Lou.

I am not here to argue FAR's. If you want that, I'll refer you to C'Ron and R&W

I greatly appreciate the insight from everyone and will reach out to the experts provided.

As far as mission, I would rather have a PPL but I don't want to lose the LSA option by applying and being denied a medical. So sport is better than nothing.

Yes, I was referring to FAR that another poster mentioned. My interpretation of that is since I would require a SI for a class 3 medical, I cannot fly under a valid DL. I have a known condition (substance abuse) that is an automatic defer/denial for a medical. If that is the case, I can only fly with a SI medical, if attainable.

The diabetic example posted sounds like good news. That would allow me to fly sport without the costly HIMS process, provided my physician signs off.

Thank you all for your responses, I will reach out to the AME mentioned and see what they say.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back