printer scanner recomendations

wby0nder

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Matt Michael
I'm needing to buy a printer/scanner and I have no idea what is good to get. I know what I need it to do and I know what I don't want!

I don't want another crappy epson POS that never made a good print and left me holding $100 worth of new ink for a printer that isn't worth fixing!

I'd like something reliable with reasonable ink cartrage prices. I'd like a scanner that can scan 35mm slides not necessarily super-duper high quality. And I'd like to pay under $200.

Hopefully someone out there knows what is good.

Thanks,
Matt

I have always liked the HP combo printers. Mine is a 2610 (old now) and does everything. It supposedly scans slides but I actually have a high-res slide scanner for that duty.

I like Canon. I have an MP780 "multifunction" but was disappointed that it can't do faxing without a PC.

I can only fax in Windows and the default "send a FAX" is a disaster. It's like they had 3 teams working on it who never talked to each other.

I could fax from the Mac with the good OS X software but I don't have a modem or a serial port on my Macbook Pro.

I don't think you can get away from the ink cartridge scam. The MP780 uses 5 carts, two black, taht are about $12-$15 each. The only good thing is you can find them at Costco. I got some off new brand ones from the local Re-whatever refiller storefront and it's dry.

Matt, for scanning slides, you need slightly specialized gear- a CanonLiDE 60 for example, runs about $69. Then spend the rest on a separate printer. The LiDE 40 will do too, it's a smidgen less.....

Matt, for scanning slides, you need slightly specialized gear- a CanonLiDE 60 for example, runs about $69. Then spend the rest on a separate printer. The LiDE 40 will do too, it's a smidgen less.....

My Canon MP780 has a slide holder on the scanner lid.

I got an Epson combo "free" after rebate when I picked up a computer in mid-November. So far it's been pretty good, but it doesn't have a slide adapter. I'll need to look up the model number at home.

I got a Brother network-connected scanner / printer combo; it works, but I would not wish it on my worst enemy. Frequent print-head jams, very poor print quality. It scans and faxes OK, but the scanning software is flaky, too.

I say, buy HP.

I've got an Epson combo unit - flat bed scanner and printer. The scanner isn't bad, it will perform a copy function without the printer and will scan to memory devices plugged into the printer, again without the computer. My purpose was for scanning slides, so my wife got this for me for Christmas a couple years ago.

Pros - all in one unit, can function as printer, scanner or copier.

Cons - scanning slides is SLOW. It will do 4 at one time in a special holder. If I'm on top of my game and working in sync, it averages about 1 slide per minute. Did I mention that it's SLOW?

Digital pictures printed from the computer always come out dark, especially compared with the HP ink squirter that sits next to it. And I have not been able to find a control to lighten them up. This is unfortunate as the Epson has a much straighter paper path than the HP and can handle much heavier print stock. Only important if I want something larger than the 4x6 paper my dedicated picture printer (also HP) can handle (or can it handle 5x7? I'd have to look).

Drivers for the Epson worked great on Windows XP. Not so good on Vista. Another down side as my new (a year ago) main machine is running Vista (a mistake, but too much pain to swap, plus it has Office 2007, another oops).

Would I recommend Epson? Not based on this unit. Would I recommend HP? You bet. Every HP printer I've had has been bulletproof. And I would expect a printer/scanner from HP to be similarly bulletproof.

Scott, what are you using to scan slides? The slowness of my Epson has stopped that effort and I've got YEARS of 35mm slides that need scanning.

Stay away from the HP PSC 1600 (not sure if you can even buy it anymore). Either way -- half the time, it won't take the paper in from the tray - very annoying when it's in the other room, and you have to get up to go jiggle the paper tray or blow on it or some other juujuu to get it to work.

I have a Canon multifunction laser - the MF4150. It's black and white, cost under $300, and I love it.

I have a little HP color inkjet for the color work, but the Canon does 90% of the printing.

I picked up an HP C6280 scanner/copier/printer. Won't scan slides, but I think the next model up might. It DOES print great pictures, text, copies (color& b/w), 2-sided prints, ...

I like it.

Had a Brother multifunction printer. The print head died and it was out of warranty. Instead of repairing it I went with the cheaper option of buying a Canon PIXMA printer. Doesn't seem to print as fast, but seems to be a better scanner.

I checked, and I have an Epson CX7400 multifunction. Only had it since mid-November, but satisfied so far. After rebate it was about $5.00 (tax) from Fry's. They make their money on ink.

I have the HP Deskjet F4135. It works pretty well for everything we need. I have no idea how it would do with slides, though.

Started with a cheap Lexmark all-in one; got my $$ worth out of it but it died a horrible, confounding death, leaving me stuck with two almost-new very expensive ink cartridges.

Replaced it with a Brother multi-function job that seems much better (model #?? Hmmm, I forget, but it was about $130).
A little fussy to set up, but now it rocks.

Some general scanning advice: when scanning double-sided pages, especially thinner newsprint or magazines, place black paper on top so the light doesn't bounce back off the white lid thru the paper, allowing "ghosting" of the opposite side. Works like a charm. I don't quite understand why the inside of scanner lids is always white... :dunno:

I don't want another crappy epson POS that never made a good print and left me holding $100 worth of new ink for a printer that isn't worth fixing!

I have an Epson CX5000, and it's been great. It's even survived over a year of being bounced around in my truck for many hours a day.

I'd like something reliable with reasonable ink cartrage prices.

Ain't gonna happen - That's where they make their money nowadays. In fact, there's at least one Epson model where a set of ink cartridges costs more than a new printer.

Ain't gonna happen - That's where they make their money nowadays. In fact, there's at least one Epson model where a set of ink cartridges costs more than a new printer.
The inkjet printer market is the same as the razor market. Not particularly profound, but true.

Amy has an Epson RX500 that scans slides and does a good job for the photo stuff she does. For work, I have an HP L7680 that I think is awesome for business needs, but it doesn't have a little slide holder thingy (though it may be capable of scanning them).

It seems like cost per print is more of an emphasis in the business-type All In Ones, while the home photo printers are just absurdly expensive.

If your Epson cartridges are compatible with Amy's printer, I'm sure she'd be happy to use them up for you!

Amy has an Epson RX500 that scans slides and does a good job for the photo stuff she does. For work, I have an HP L7680 that I think is awesome for business needs, but it doesn't have a little slide holder thingy (though it may be capable of scanning them).

It seems like cost per print is more of an emphasis in the business-type All In Ones, while the home photo printers are just absurdly expensive.

If your Epson cartridges are compatible with Amy's printer, I'm sure she'd be happy to use them up for you!

My cartridges are only compatable with 3 models all discontinued. I don't think hers is on the list. Mine's a CX4500

Back