Printer review HP4630 inkjet

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
I have been through a lot of printers; laser & ink - and usually they lack something, but I have to share that I am really happy with this one. Had it about a month.

Plug and play; no disk needed.
Wireless. And no hours of head-scratching to make it work. It showed up in my printer menu on any document type and without a cable connection; prints!
Printing from i-device. Unbelievably easy. I can print from my iphone or ipad. Never in my wildest. A visitor can come into the house and print with their device. (Probably someone with security risks would want to protect it, I live in the boonies.)
Readily available not overpriced color and black cartridges. Refillable if you are so inclined.
Sits quietly, ready to print at any time. No need to turn on, warm up, establish communications each time. Just leave it in sleep mode (turn it on once and forget it).
Faxes in and out with ease.
Accepts documents on the glass top or multiple docs in the tray.
UNASSISTED double-sided printing! Runs the paper for one side then without intervention sucks it back in to print on the reverse side!

That sounds pretty good!

I am using an hp ink jet right now and fairly happy with it, although in the past I have been partial to Canon.

I gleefully traded in my HP L7680 OfficeJet Pro in November after I stumbled on to a promotion at Office Depot and got $50 for it. If I had a baseball bat, it would have been Office Spaced, so I'm happy I got some credit towards the purchase of a wonderful Epson. I hope your HP gives you good service, but don't be surprised when features crap out, printheads fail, duplexer jams, etc.

Inkjets are good for photos, but the rest of it is a scam. They make their money on the cartridges. I use a laser for 99% of my printing. I used to print photos quite often, but I haven't done that much in years. Now days, you share photos online, with email, on your mobile device, etc. I suppose there is still the crowd that wants to "scrapbook" or put it in a frame (I probably should do a few of those), but even then, it is probably cheaper to have a photoshop print them for you.

Was handed a 5minute deadline to scan & email 20 pages this week. I was shakin' as my experience with multi-document scanners has been abysmal. The 4630 neatly and evenly accepted some very very thin and folded sheets with rough edges, fed them perfectly and scanned the lot to a single pdf. I was amazed; almost giddy with the outcome.

Ink: I haven't bought a new cartridge in a loong time but have refilled hundreds over the last 10 years. <$1.00 per refill (I only do black)

Back