Printer problem

AdamZ

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Adam Zucker
Went to print a document remotely from my laptop and no luck. I just had Verizon FIOS installed and I thought it might have something to do with that. I kinda shrugged it off because it was not important but last night I tried to print some plates out on the desk top that its connected to and I got a message that my computer was not communicating with my Dell 4 in 1 printer. I went through all the trouble shooting and checked unplugged and replugged all power and USB cables and Nada. Its probably only a couple of years old. It will still copy but not scan.

When I unplug and plug in the USB cables they still make that funny bloop sound

Could this have happened when they installed the Fios.

Has it just given up the ghost?

Adam, I had a very frustrating time getting the laptop to print through the desktop's hard wired printer. The solution was to turn Windows firewall off, reinstall the printer, then (if desired) turn the firewall back on.

You might want to give this a try. I have no experience with the programs you mentioned so I can't tell if this "fix" is likely to work or not. Good Luck!

-Skip

Can you ping the printer? I bet not.

Did the FIOS install include a new router? Your inetrnal network probably has been renumbered. The printer has (or needs) a new address and the laptop hasn't picked up on it.

Or does the printer have a hard coded address? If I'm right it would have to be changed.

good question Mike. I think it does have some sort of an address. ie 122.09.something or other. and Yes they did install a new router when they set up Fios. However if it were just the laptop that didn't print I'd say thats it but it also won't print from the desk top its hard wired into. I guess I'll have to give Verizon a call and see if they can help if not I don't know what to do.

I'm betting it's the new router.

See if you can put your old router back in. You may need to tweak the settings. Absent all that, it may be the crapware that Verizon installs on your computers is interrupting the network connection - or it's firewalling so you can't access the printer.

I'm betting it's the new router.

See if you can put your old router back in. You may need to tweak the settings. Absent all that, it may be the crapware that Verizon installs on your computers is interrupting the network connection - or it's firewalling so you can't access the printer.

Oh. It connected by USB.

Bill's right. Some software broke the printer drivers. Try uninstalling and reinstalling the printer software. You should download the current stuff from Dell.

Great suggestion Bill and Mike. Actually thats what I did before I logged back in and read your post. I uninstalled the printer on the Desk top that the printer is plugged into. Then poped the dell disc back in and reinstalled it. The printer now works from the Desk top but I cannot as of yet get it to work from the laptop over the wireless.

I cannot re-hookup my old router. The Fios needs a special router that they gave me. So I will keep plugging away to see if I can get it to print remotely from the laptop.

Last edited:
I cannot re-hookup my old router. The Fios needs a special router that they gave me. So I will keep plugging away to see if I can get it to print remotely from the laptop.

Remind me not to get FIOS. As I understand it, they want a 'special' router that they can control. I've heard stories that they didn't want to give the passwords to the purchasers. That's not for me.

Remind me not to get FIOS. As I understand it, they want a 'special' router that they can control. I've heard stories that they didn't want to give the passwords to the purchasers. That's not for me.

Thye didn't think their cunning plan all the way through.

They probably couldn't figure out a way to do traffic shaping without doing it on the premises. If they let you have the password you could remove the rule that keeps VOIP from working. :rolleyes:

Back