Princess Cruise Lines...

Sounds like a communication breakdown. I'm pretty sure the captain would have stopped if he was given the right info.

Sounds like a communication breakdown. I'm pretty sure the captain would have stopped if he was given the right info.

I inclined to agree. It would be unconscionable to do otherwise. Law or no law, I can't imagine a professional mariner failing to assist a vessel in distress. It's unthinkable.

-Rich

We would all like to believe but somehow corporate greed seems more likely.
"You have a deadline to keep!"

I'd like to believe it too but, from what I've read & heard, the stories keep changing, both the captain's and the cruise lines. That doesn't instill much faith.

Last edited:
Henning will be along shortly to provide sanity.

There might also be logbook fraud. The log was "The waving was the fishing fleet thanking us for avoiding their fishing nets."

--Carlos V.

Because employees in the front lines care more about the deadline, profit, etc than doing the right thing :rolleyes:

I expect that whoever was in command did not realize what was happening.

I inclined to agree. It would be unconscionable to do otherwise. Law or no law, I can't imagine a professional mariner failing to assist a vessel in distress. It's unthinkable.

-Rich

Nope, not that unthinkable, I'm not particularly surprised.

Nope, not that unthinkable, I'm not particularly surprised.
With the anniversary of the Titanic, it's probably appropriate to note that liners of the era often went full-speed through the Grand Banks, regardless of both the weather and the teeming fishing fleets.

One book I read mentioned the memoirs of a ship's officer of the period...one night they felt a slight crunch, and heard screams. He and another officer on the bridge just looked at each other out of the corners of their eyes, and said nothing....

In *this* case, though, I'm inclined to attribute it to bad communications.

Ron Wanttaja

With the anniversary of the Titanic, it's probably appropriate to note that liners of the era often went full-speed through the Grand Banks, regardless of both the weather and the teeming fishing fleets.

One book I read mentioned the memoirs of a ship's officer of the period...one night they felt a slight crunch, and heard screams. He and another officer on the bridge just looked at each other out of the corners of their eyes, and said nothing....

In *this* case, though, I'm inclined to attribute it to bad communications.

Ron Wanttaja

A perfect example of why you should have your own 406 device. A $200 PLB and that ship would have been called and directed to the scene.

A perfect example of why you should have your own 406 device. A $200 PLB and that ship would have been called and directed to the scene.
$200 was probably those fishermen's income for the year.

Last edited:

As one who has spent a little time on interdiction missions along the western coasts of Central America I would observe that many of the "vessels" the locals use for fishing aren't worth $200. And the poverty in those waters seem to preclude anyone having a spare $200 to spend on a PLB. I am not clear on the CPA between these two craft, but typically being close enough to be thanked for missing is close enough to be able to discern the state of the vessel and crew. My understanding is it was a small boat, and without handling gear that could support a trawl or seine. Any mariner should have been able see this. Not responding to waving in this instance seems criminal..... IMHO.

Hmmm... isn't Princess a sister company to the folks that ran the Costa Concordia?

Carnival owns both companies (Costa and Princess) as well as a few more: AIDA, Carnival, Cunard, Holland America, Ibero, P&O, Ocean Village, and Seabourn.

Carnival owns both companies (Costa and Princess) as well as a few more: AIDA, Carnival, Cunard, Holland America, Ibero, P&O, Ocean Village, and Seabourn.
I'm just a little surprised because yesterday on Prairie Home Companion, Garrison said that their upcoming cruise would be on Holland America and that they would not be on that "other" cruise line. Could he be stretching the truth?

http://travel.usatoday.com/cruises/...me-companion-cruise-garrison-keillor/667101/1

Hmmm... isn't Princess a sister company to the folks that ran the Costa Concordia?

Oh it goes much further than that lol. Look who ownes that entire conglomerate and the amalgamated safety record.

I'm just a little surprised because yesterday on Prairie Home Companion, Garrison said that their upcoming cruise would be on Holland America and that they would not be on that "other" cruise line. Could he be stretching the truth?

http://travel.usatoday.com/cruises/...me-companion-cruise-garrison-keillor/667101/1

Garrison Keeler has been known to take editorial license from time to time; perhaps he was unaware of the facts. In an industry dominated by Clear Chanel though, I'd consider him aware.

Not that it would matter, all are run the same. If they are ABS or DNV survey, I respect them. Outside that, not so much; Lloyds none.

Last edited:
Garrison Keeler has been known to take editorial license from time to time; perhaps he was unaware of the facts. In an industry dominated by Clear Chanel though, I'd consider him aware.

Keilor works for public radio. NPR is nearly as big as Clear Channel, at least on the left end of the radio dial.

Keilor works for public radio. NPR is nearly as big as Clear Channel, at least on the left end of the radio dial.

Yeah, and I'm a fan, don't get me wrong. The best mechanical advice show ever is the Tappet Bros. and I listen to PHC on the road, seriously. Diane Rheems<sp?> got McCain to flip into full psycho on her show, it was incredible.

All irrelevant to the subject.

The Unlimited Master/Cruiseship Captain selection process is as crippled as airlines and to even worse effect. It is all "Old Boy Networks" through various alumni programs or even unions of outright nepotism like lower Mississippi pilots living in Pilotown.

Then there is nationality, some nationalities are cheaper than others.

Last edited:
Garrison Keillor is an American author, storyteller, humorist, and radio personality.

Back