Prickett-Grooms (6Y9) Announcements.

EdFred

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
White Chocolate
We're closing the field down and putting up a Wal-Mart.
Just kidding. :rofl:

I know some of you have been speculating on what the big news might be. No, we aren't paving the strip. No, we aren't putting in a navaid. No, we aren't getting an SIAP in there (yet). But what we are doing is this:

Number One
For those of you that have been into Prickett-Grooms you may remember a red brick building that sat south of the runway on the west end of the field. That building has been/is being acquired by my father and 2 other partners. The building was built in 1923 and served as a school until its closure about 20 years ago. The inside of the school will be renovated, redesigned, remodeled, and converted. After the renovation and conversion, there will be (the plan at this time) 8 townhouses for sale with direct access, of course, to the airfield. Units in the building will be two levels, and possibly a couple of three level units. Each of the two level units will be approximately 1000 square feet in size, and the three level units which will probably be around 1500 square feet in living space. Final designs for each of the units are incomplete at this time, and if people are interested in purchasing before construction begins on their unit, they can help design it how they would like it to be. I think the target is somewhere around $70-80,000 for the two level units and somewhere around $100k for the three level unit, but don't quote me on that. The plan is to keep them all under six figures.

Number Two
We are currently negotiating with the property owners to the east to acquire/lease the additional 750-800' of property between the end of the runway, and the road to the east in order to lengthen 10/28. We have been given verbal permission to "do whatever we need to" to make it safe, and prep it for official use, and this is already underway. Trees have been cut back, the scrub has been tilled under and flattened, and grass will be planted in the spring. We hope to have this agreement completed before May 1, but we shall see how it goes. Filling and prep on the west end, an additional 300', will start this summer or fall, and that 300' may be available for use in 2008. That 300' is the property of the airport, so it is just a matter of getting the work done.

Number Three
I have been contacted by a couple of parties regarding possible services on the field. An A&P is looking to relocate from the Lower Peninsula to the Upper Peninsula, and it looks as if he may wish to put a shop up at a field, and ours is being looked at as a possibility. The service station at the southeast corner of the field is for sale, and the party looking to buy the station has said that if the deal goes through, it's probable that they would start to carry 100LL depending on how much traffic starts to go in and out of there.

In less than two years we may go from abandoned and closed to a 3,000' fly-in community with fuel and services on the field. This does not even take into account the land we are going to parcel off and lease for the construction of hangars.

Last edited:
In less than two years we may go from abandoned and closed to a 3,000' fly-in community with fuel and services on the field. This does not even take into account the land we are going to parcel off and lease for the construction of hangars.

Very cool, Ed!

Yeeehah! Good job! May all your plans and dreams come to fruition!

912 NM from Fort Worth ... a bit far for a weekend trip.

Are you paying someone to renovate the school? If so, why don't you not have hired help and have volunteers help out with the renovations? I would help out. :D

That's great Ed. I am looking forward to visiting 6Y9 again this spring and throughout the future. Of course I won't be able to buy one of those fancy town home things but hopefully there will still be a place us poor people can plop a tent :)

Anyone who has not flown there yet you should make plans. It was a challenging airport last year but still quite safe and I did not have an issue. Not once was I ever concerned about safely flying a 172 in and out of 6Y9. There was plenty of room for error (depending on your normal error tolerance). The upgrades to the field will make 6Y9 a great airport for even the most cautious pilots.

Wow, Thats awsome. I'm going to have to make a trip up there this summer and check it out.

So does this mean no Wal-Mart?? Where will I find discount stretch pants?? :(

Seriously that sounds great Ed. Me and the SO are already planning a trip with an overnight stay to visit the airport and town. I hope we can also have a fly-in up there in addition to the Labor day stuff.

Conclusion: I need a faster plane to visit Six Yankee Niner. If only AOPA came through on that 6 in 06 ...

Nice work Ed! :yes:

FWIW, while 6Y9 *had* high pucker factor, it was already much improved at Labor day, and quite comfortable. Just be sure to read your performance charts. It's a heckuva great place though. Here's to continued improvement! :cheerswine:

Sheesh, so does that mean I actualy have to work on my short field landings? I knew they'd come back to bite me eventualy. Where was that good short field instructor when I needed him during my private.

Well, I'm disappointed that Sidnaw is missing out on a great opportunity for discount electronics and groceries. Very short sighted of you Ed.

When do you get the VOR on field and the VOR approach to the airport? If I remember correctly, there's no VORs anywhere near that area......

Its gonna be sweet when you get this all done, Ed.

I just want it to show up in the right place on my 430. Ed, you give them new coordinates yet? Did they ever get the A/FD straightened out?

That information was REsubmitted in December, with the new coordinates, updated field condition, etc...it *should* be updated for the March 15th A/FD, and should also be updated in the Jeppesen Databases at that time. If they don't get it updated for the March 15th, then it should be updated for the April 12th or May 10th database releases.

Back