Prices are coming down

My guess, as everyone else's is, is that this guy is trying to scam people....I'm trying to find stuff in his answers to my questions that would give him away. 896 hours on a prop in 4 years is quite a lot unless the plane was a flight school plane. That kinda raises a flag. But who knows for sure? We'll just see how he responds to my last email.

If you've got the time and the interest, and you know the N-number, check the registration database and contact the owner.

My hunch is that since he was able to answer some specific questions, he's probably not an outright scammer. That's not to say there isn't cause for concern, though.

If it were me, I'd be looking in the DFW metro area first, then expand my search if I couldn't find a fair deal. But the farther away you look, you should account for the cost of traveling to look at purchase candidates, sending your mechanic for a prebuy(s), and ferrying home what you buy for your club. Those costs can add up, and for something like a basic 172 could eat up what you think you're going to save pretty quickly.

Trapper John

If you've got the time and the interest, and you know the N-number, check the registration database and contact the owner.

My hunch is that since he was able to answer some specific questions, he's probably not an outright scammer. That's not to say there isn't cause for concern, though.

If it were me, I'd be looking in the DFW metro area first, then expand my search if I couldn't find a fair deal. But the farther away you look, you should account for the cost of traveling to look at purchase candidates, sending your mechanic for a prebuy(s), and ferrying home what you buy for your club. Those costs can add up, and for something like a basic 172 could eat up what you think you're going to save pretty quickly.

Trapper John

Though I'm not really looking at this as a club plane, I am interested to see if this guy is for real or not. Heck, if he did turn out to be on the up and up, it might not be a bad deal to pick it up for $15k and O/H the engine. Maybe another $17k for an overhaul, $32-34k total in the plane.

Though I'm not really looking at this as a club plane, I am interested to see if this guy is for real or not. Heck, if he did turn out to be on the up and up, it might not be a bad deal to pick it up for $15k and O/H the engine. Maybe another $17k for an overhaul, $32-34k total in the plane.

More power to you if you go that way.

But there are people that seek out these kind of deals for a living, so beware. If you're not as sharp as those guys, you can end up joining the "something for nothing" club only to find out it's really the "nothing for something" club...

Trapper John

More power to you if you go that way.

But there are people that seek out these kind of deals for a living, so beware. If you're not as sharp as those guys, you can end up joining the "something for nothing" club only to find out it's really the "nothing for something" club...

Trapper John

True Dat!

I think it's definitely a scam. The guy (George Heracles) says he's owned the plane since 2004. Of course the Aircraft Registry lists the owner as being from Florida and a much different name. Still insists on going thru E-Bay. Now wants a low, low deposit of only $2900.

:rolleyes:

I think it's definitely a scam. The guy (George Heracles) says he's owned the plane since 2004. Of course the Aircraft Registry lists the owner as being from Florida and a much different name. Still insists on going thru E-Bay. Now wants a low, low deposit of only $2900.

:rolleyes:

Send some Zimbabwe dollars. This kid'll spot ya:

zimbabwe-money-bread-boy-kid.jpg

And if that's too bulky (or the kid won't cough up), try his dad:

100billion_zimbabwe_dollars_ap_400x274.jpg

There is a basic rule of thumb that has been around for a very long time, if you don't personally know the seller, and the deal sounds too good to be true, it is too good to be true.

Con artists pray on our own inherent greed. I had a fast talker in my store a few weeks ago, the sale ended up being $480.00. He counted out the cash, I counted it again in front of him. Then I stopped and did it again. A 100 dollar bill, another 100 dollar bill, a ten dollar bill, another 100 dollar bill, then four twenties. The first time through, I counted four 100 dollar bills instead of three and a ten.

He had counted them out right in front of me and I followed along as he counted four 100 dollar bills then four twenties. I simply copied his lead. Something made me do it again and I caught it. He did not bat an eye and traded the ten for another hundred.

It's a lot like looking in your gas tanks but not seeing what's in them, just going through the motions.

It is our own greed that makes us assume the other guy is honest. Con artists are always likable people.

John

That's actually a scary part of buying airplanes, isn't it -- the title and paper trail situation is awfully weak. Any of my planes could have had a "real owner" pop up at any time after purchase and demand keys... ugh.

When I bought a 50% interest in a plane many years ago, I had AOPA's title service do a title search on it. They discovered a lien for a loan that had been paid off but never released.

There are internet log entries that place this plane in Apopka Florida as late as 2006.
N13144 does have a damage history.
The most recent FAA registration (01/2010) places the owner in Orange Park, FL.
That's in the vicinity of Jacksonville, FL.

David

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I think there are good deals to be had on planes. But this seems too good to be true. I'd like to find a good plane at a fair price. Cessna 182 would be great!

More indications each day that the bottom may actually have occurred. Title companies now say they are very busy with retail transactions for the first time in two years. Their work for past two years has been mostly repo's and bailouts.

Back