Price for Gns430 non WAAS

asgcpa

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
CPA
The plane were buying has two GNS430 non WAAS radios installed. Instead of trading them in, we're thinking about selling them. On EBay they go for 4,700 - 5,000. Suggestions for selling price? We can get a trade in from the shop so not desperate.

$4,700-$5,000? Perhaps a bit more, maybe a bit less.

Is there a reason why eBay prices may not be representative of the market?

If I wanted to sell them pretty quickly...I'd price them at $4500.00 each.

Just one man's opinion.

Must be a low price for your trade in,4500 should do it with no problem.

It's 3 grand for a WAAS upgrade. You can buy a 430W for $6k. I say $3500. Anyone who needs a gps should not be installing a non WAAS so close to 2020. That's like ****ing in the wind.

You might be better off trading them in if the avionics shop offers a competitive deal. I was looking at buying a used 530W but for almost same price I can get a brand new 650 GTN.

It's 3 grand for a WAAS upgrade. You can buy a 430W for $6k. I say $3500. Anyone who needs a gps should not be installing a non WAAS so close to 2020. That's like ****ing in the wind.

An avionics guy at OSH said they are still popular (non WAAS) outside the USA. Of course, a foreign transaction adds to the excitement of eBay.

You might be better off trading them in if the avionics shop offers a competitive deal. I was looking at buying a used 530W but for almost same price I can get a brand new 650 GTN.

I was working on a 440 swap. My 430W was $4k on Trade. I was like.....uh....no thanks. Pull it and I'll take it home. He asked why. I said for $2kmore , I'll take my chances selling on my own.

So is this where someone asks if it comes with tray etc or is just the unit?

And then maybe asks if you'd take "x" for it?

Arthur, are you going to replace the non-WAAS units with 430W's?

Or going with a current generation product.

You've identified the market price. Barnstormers and VAF pricing doesn't differ much. What's the question?

Buyer of said unit has a well known $3k outlay coming within 5 years (current pricing). First failure of the unit will require the upgrade from the shop because they won't fix non-WAAS. Without any changes the law will require it for 2020.

Why not just update 1 for compliance and be done with it?

Last edited:
Among the things I would use to determine my squeal point would be the price of a GNS650. It runs $10k+. An IFD440 is 430 plug and play and it runs around 15k but gives WAAS and is more current technology. I don't know avidyne very well, but this is an option. I'm sure you'd have to change the antenna and such.

Personally, I probably wouldn't go over 4k for one since a WAAS upgrade gets you over 7k and too close to GNS range IMO. I'm sure there are people that would pay a little more for whatever reason.

Last edited:
Arthur, are you going to replace the non-WAAS units with 430W's?

Or going with a current generation product.

We got a super deal on Avidyne IFD440 units with a new ADSB compliant transponder and other equipment. We have the Avidyne PFD/MFD panels and an Avidyne DFC90 autopilot. We will only have to buy one subscription for the Jepp databases which will save money. The Avidyne gives you a lot of capabilities such as programming for non published holds.

We got a super deal on Avidyne IFD440 units with a new ADSB compliant transponder and other equipment. We have the Avidyne PFD/MFD panels and an Avidyne DFC90 autopilot. We will only have to buy one subscription for the Jepp databases which will save money. The Avidyne gives you a lot of capabilities such as programming for non published holds.

I'm leaning this direction. I didn't like the way the buttons and build quality felt on the Avidyne demo units at OSH a couple of years ago, but the software and lack of Garmin tax is probably going to sway me.

Garmin appears to be doing rebates to keep Avidyne at bay this month. But they're not beating their prices. Just matching. Not good enough.

Next month, who knows? Maybe an exec will need another round of golf in an exotic location.

AdamZ got got an Avidyne setup for his Bo. He's the one that convinced me to look seriously at them.

I'd like to see Garmin send out a firmware that brings the GTNs up to the 440/540 functionality. They are loosing business be use the GTn is already behind the times.

I have yet to see one of these boxes installed and working in a real world environment. Once you have them installed and a mess of hours behind them, I'd be interested in reading your thoughts on how they are working for you.

I bought a straight 14v/28v GNS430 recently for around $3,500...staring at that WAAS upgrade tends to bring the price down. Now I'm considering just trading it up for a GTN650.

I have yet to see one of these boxes installed and working in a real world environment. Once you have them installed and a mess of hours behind them, I'd be interested in reading your thoughts on how they are working for you.

I've never seen a 440 either, but one of the local airports put an IFD540 in their rental Arrow. I only have 10 or so hours using it, almost all of which was IMC (real and simulated). My impression so far is very very favorable. I spent a few minutes learning the basics on YouTube, mostly to learn how to set up the display (it is completely fluid, you can put any info you want in any place you want around the margins). Otherwise, it is significantly more intuitive than Garmin units. I am already at least as comfortable with the 540 as I am with Garmin, which has surprised me since I did my IR in a G1000 and most of my commercial in a plane with a 530/430 stack. I cannot compare it to a Garmin 480 or to any of the GTN 650/750 models.

Back