PRIA and airline pilot hiring

T

throw127

Hey guys,
I'm a CFI at a major part 141 school. I had an incident with ATC one day around a year ago. I didnt get a deviation filed with the FAA, but a note about it was put in my employee file. I'm assuming this will show up on airline hiring PRIA, my question is how will this affect me getting hired? I really do not want to have to wait 5 years for this to drop off my record... I know that I can spin it into a learning experience on the interview, but my question is whether they will even consider me.
Thanks in advance.

It depends on what you did, and the rest of your resume. Can you be more descriptive?

Basically the volume on the comms got muted and as a new CFI I got distracted in teaching a brand new student pilot how to land and didn't notice. Ended up noticing it on the upwind of the next patten. Oops. Learned my lesson and it was definitely a big mistake. The records just show i deviated from our policies as a school regarding ATC communications and clearances. It doesn't list details on the event as far as I know.

Basically the volume on the comms got muted and as a new CFI I got distracted in teaching a brand new student pilot how to land and didn't notice. Ended up noticing it on the upwind of the next patten. Oops. Learned my lesson and it was definitely a big mistake. The records just show i deviated from our policies as a school regarding ATC communications and clearances. It doesn't list details on the event as far as I know.
That doesnt sound like much of an issue to me. Spin it into a positive like you said and be able to communicate what you did to learn from your mistake, and what you've changed because of it. You might want to ask over on the pro pilot forums (APC or jetcareers)where a lot more airline guys are. This type of thing gets discussed over there a lot more often.

Did you land without a clearance? Fly a T&G when cleared to land?

Hey guys,
I'm a CFI at a major part 141 school. I had an incident with ATC one day around a year ago. I didnt get a deviation filed with the FAA, but a note about it was put in my employee file. I'm assuming this will show up on airline hiring PRIA, my question is how will this affect me getting hired? I really do not want to have to wait 5 years for this to drop off my record... I know that I can spin it into a learning experience on the interview, but my question is whether they will even consider me.
Thanks in advance.

Depends if they even submit it during their PRIA report. All the airline is going to send is a request for information to your school. Mostly it just covers drugs and alcohol issues. Most secretaries will just check no issues, sign it and send it back. I'd still list it if the airline asks about any company related reports/ disciplinary actions.

You may want to ask if the report gets destroyed after a certain amount of time. If so, you don't have to report anything after that date. I may or may not have had a 30 day action against me for something I did when I was a newbie. But it may or may not have been destroyed after the said 30 days.

Are you sure this is even in your airmans record, vs some internal school file?

Why not request your own records from the FAA first and see if it's even in there. If someone is going to review your FAA files best to see them before you release them IMHO.

it isn't in my airmen record. It's in my flight school file. But PRIA requires 122 employers to get all information about the last 5 years of employment history and that would be included.

it isn't in my airmen record. It's in my flight school file. But PRIA requires 122 employers to get all information about the last 5 years of employment history and that would be included.

Unless the right bottle of booze shows up on the right desk

if you are applying to a regional, forget about it. if you have most of a pulse and 1500hrs you will get hired.............

bob

Yeah, that is pretty much of a career killer right there. :rolleyes:

As someone that once hired pilots, if that is the worse thing I can find then you got no problem.

I know pilots that have had accidents on their Pt. 135 record that have gotten hired in the airlines.

On second thought, I would worry more about what could be found on the social media. That can be (unofficially) used against you.

Last edited:
Doubtful they would mention it. Almost all they want is confirmation of employment. To volunteer much more could be cause for litagation. We aren't even allowed to ask age anymore.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back