Previous Owners?

bstratt

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Canuck
Is there a site that will give you a list of the previous owners for your plane?

You can buy a CD from the FAA. It'll tell you the entire history of your N#.

HR

The FAA had a booth at OSH a few years ago, got a free CD with my planes history. Well, I actually ordered it there and it arrived a few weeks later.

Canuck, i agree with the others.The cd is only about 5 bucks and it shows every bill of sale recorded witht the faa and also any 337 alterations filed and some other neat stuff.I ordered mine online and had it in less than a week.My 185 has led a sheltered life,but the supercub being older had been all over the country,which some owners i had no idea.

The $5 CD is a thing of the past, when I bought my C150 last year we ordered the CD from the FAA. This year when I bought the C172, they(FAA) told us that they no longer offered the CD. They gave us a list of companies that did title searches and we had to pay $75 to them to get the same info that was on the $5 CD.

I visited the FAA booth at Oshkosh last year and ordered the CD from them. It's been a free thing from the FAA at Oshkosh for for some time. Before they had CDs they would send micro fiche. To my knowledge it was only free from the FAA at Oshkosh. Otherwise there was a small charge.

If they have stopped doing that, like has been said, you might try AOPA. When I bought my Cardinal in 1997 I contacted AOPA and had them do a title search. They sent me everything that the FAA had on file for the airplane in hard copy form. That was much better than the micro fiche the FAA sent me for my previous airplane. I don't remember exactly what I paid, I think it may have been around $50. You probably have to be an AOPA member to use this service.

Jeannie

bstratt said:
Is there a site that will give you a list of the previous owners for your plane?

I orderd the CD from the FAA. It was a great read. I orderd mine before I bought it to have a good hsitory of my plane.

In five minutes of searching I could not find a resource on the FAA website to order a CD any more.

A title search from AOPA includes the CD with all FAA paperwork (bill of sales, 337's etc.) in a similar format. Instead of $5 it is $99 :eek:

alaskaflyer said:
IA title search from AOPA includes the CD with all FAA paperwork (bill of sales, 337's etc.) in a similar format. Instead of $5 it is $99 :eek:

Sounds about right, considering inflation and all.

I can't help wondering why the FAA would stop offering that service. I mean those records are public record and should be made available by the agency itself rather than having to go through a third party.

Jeannie

We are a mobile society I bet you will not be able to find half of the people on the list of recent owners. I contacted the original owner of a C140 I rebuilt. He was dismayed to learn someone had wrecked it, pleased to hear it would fly once again. He sent me some original photos of it. Its neat to have some history behind a bird.

Dean said:
The $5 CD is a thing of the past, when I bought my C150 last year we ordered the CD from the FAA. This year when I bought the C172, they(FAA) told us that they no longer offered the CD. They gave us a list of companies that did title searches and we had to pay $75 to them to get the same info that was on the $5 CD.

That must be a recent change. I got the CD for the plane I eventually bought in July last year.

GaryO said:
That must be a recent change. I got the CD for the plane I eventually bought in July last year.

I was told in went into effect Jan 1, 2006.

Back