Previous "multi-agent drug protocol"

Flightpartner

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Flightpartner
Does previously taking two medications at the same time permanently disqualify me even if I am not taking any medications anymore?

Context: I previously took low doses of two medications at the same time to help manage seasonal affective disorder when I moved to a new state. I have adjusted to the seasons here and no longer need either medication, but when I looked at the FAA guidelines there is a section that concerned me. In the section discussing "Authorization of a Special Issuance (SI) or Special Consideration (SC)" it says:

"The applicant DOES NOT have symptoms or history of Multi-agent drug protocol use (prior use of other psychiatric drugs in conjunction with SSRIs.)"

Does my history of taking two meds at the same time disqualify me even if I am no longer taking any medications? Or does this only apply to people who want to continue taking medication?

Because the list of qualifications is in the section on SI/SC, it's unclear if it applies to everyone or only people who are looking for an SI/SC

It's taken me years to get to a place where I financially felt ready to go to pilot training and I am devastated to think that I might not have that chance because of meds that I took only briefly in the past. I never would have taken two medications at the same time if I thought it was going to disqualify me for my medical clearance and my license.

I've searched previous forum posts but couldn't find a definitive answer. I am also planning to reach out to Dr. Bruce who was mentioned multiple times in different threads, but wanted to see if anyone here had any insight as well.

Last edited:
Taking two medications concurrently in the past is a problem. Dr. Bruce will tell you how much of a problem.

Are you planning to just fly for fun? If you are, you should look at Sport Pilot instead. It doesn't require a medical, and it would be financially easier for you most likely. It does have some limits, such as being VFR-only, and having weight and passenger limits. BUT, if you're "financially limited", that might be a very good choice.

Back