Previous medical issued by OKC

Topper

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Topper
Going in for my medical. Last (and first) was just before I turned 40 and had to be issued by OKC. I was on blood pressure medications. Five years later I have been of of the meds for 3 years and my blood pressure has been controlled through, weight loss, diet and exercise. I have slacked off on all three and my bp has risen. I am below what appears to be the FAA highest allowable of 155/95. First question, can my local AME issue my medical if everything is ok, or will it have to go through OKC.

Second question, I am fixing the diet/exercise/weight issue to bring down my bp without meds. I plan to see my cardiologist shortly after my medical. If I am issued my medial and decide to go on meds after words, does this need to be reported?

Jim

First answer: Brring letter from your doc saying you are well cotnrolled with diet, weight loss, and eercise. AME will issue (or at he oughta. Man I have just this last 24 hours heard some horror stories).

Second matter: no, that is between you and the AME. However, the requirements for holding a certificate while on HTN meds, first time are the normal EKG, Fasting Lipid profile, Glucose, and serum creatinine, and the doc's letter. They have to be current eveyr 2 years for third. If you have the meds and all the data current just after the medical, you might as well send them in to OKC who will acknowledge them with an "ok" (two paragraph letter). Why? Because you'll be paying all over again when you ext go to the AME.

The subsequent requirements are only for the letter, every 2 years (3rd class) and annually (1st and 2nd class). It becomes a pocketbook matter as much as anything else.

Non FAA issues: if you are running near 150 and near 90, you need to be on meds if you want your 70's to be useable fun, years. You'll have twice the risk of heart attack and stroke compared to people who have control to 130 and 80 respectively. The damage done by hypertnesion is an "area under the time vs. excess BP curve" phenomenon, and you're starting to pile up area under that curve pretty young.

Hi Dr. Bruce,

Just wanted to follow up. I received my medical today with no problems. Hopefully the FAA does not disagree and revoke it asking for more info!

To your second point. I appreciate your comments on the BP. I was religious about diet and exercise and was able to get off the meds. I am also salt sensitive and had let that slip as well. About a month ago (when I had a reading that scared me), I made a drastic change. I exercise, between 70-80% of max for 60 minutes a day plus strength training 3-4 days a week. My diet is close to perfect - fruits and vegs + a little turkey and chicken. My examiner called my bp normal today. It was 135/85. Far from perfect (or what I consider normal), but a lot better than close to the FAA limit. Previously I was able to keep it about 125/75 without meds. Headed in the right direction.

I notice many people complain about having to get a medical every two years. I think I am thankful. I knew I was making poor choices and kept putting off making the changes I needed to make. The upcoming medical gave me a deadline. I think knowing that someone that can take flying away from me is watching will be a big motivator to keep me on track.

Thank you for your help and your input.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back