previous drug use and class 3 medical

A

Ajax745

So im working towards my private pilot license. Im also a college student who has partaken in college student activities like smoking weed. I no longer consume marijuana but I have discussed this topic with my doctor and psychologist (for social anxiety). My question is will the FAA contact my doctor for my medical records where they will find out about these activites, even if they don't could they discover my former habits. I no longer consume weed or any illegal substances.

You'll be filling out an FAA medical exam form that asks about your medical history. You need to self-report a lot of things.

http://flightphysical.com/Exam-Guide/Hx/

Read up on question 18m, 18n, 19, and 47.

You can train without your medical, but you can't solo until you get it.

You'll hear more from other posters.

if you no longer partake of the weed and have no diagnoses of anxiety, depression and have not been prescribed any mental health medications etc ... you should be fine.

if you no longer partake of the weed and have no diagnoses of anxiety, depression and have not been prescribed any mental health medications etc ... you should be fine.
I have been diagnosed with anxiety and I did take medication but I no longer do and haven't in like 6 months.

then u will have to report such ... and you will likely be able to get a medical but may have some hoops to jump through.

In your situation, do not waltz into a Aeromedical Doc's office with all this potential baggage. We're not saying it's insurmountable, but those of us with medical conditions and experience tread cautiously so as not to inadvertently shut a door that otherwise may have been left open. You might consider having someone who specializes in getting pilots thru the medical hoops advise you....like the poster just above: lbfjrmd.

In your situation, do not waltz into a Aeromedical Doc's office with all this potential baggage. We're not saying it's insurmountable, but those of us with medical conditions and experience tread cautiously so as not to inadvertently shut a door that otherwise may have been left open. You might consider having someone who specializes in getting pilots thru the medical hoops advise you....like the poster just above: lbfjrmd.
Who should I contact?

Who should I contact?

Dr Bruce. Good luck. Going to be expensive but can be done. Just to clarify, Dr Bruce is. not the expensive part, the stuff he will have you do will be. But it can be done. It will take time.

Last edited:
Dr Bruce. Good luck. Going to be expensive but can be done. Just to clarify, Dr Bruce is. It the expensive part, the stuff he will have you do will be. But it can be done. It will take time.
Dr bruce chien?

Dr. Chien is a master at his craft, and exceptional advocate to have on your side. Hold nothing back.

Dr. Chien is who I helps me, but I did say "You might consider having someone who specializes in getting pilots thru the medical hoops advise you....like the poster just above: lbfjrmd." Note his sig line: "Senior AME - HIMS Designated 'I can help ... with the truth, whole truth and nothing but the truth!' ;)"

So, to provide some detailed information,
(1) FAA when doing an investigation can see the diagnosis codes used by your doc to bill the insurance company. Omission is not an option. If you do and an investigation occurs, you lose your PILOT certificate. Also remember what they did to Martha Stewart. Google her if the name rings no bell.
(2) Is there a psychiatrist on your healthcare team? It becomes important, depending on the "resolution" of the anxiety diagnosis. FAA is looking hard for alcohol hiding behind anxiety or behind depression.
(3) Depending on the duration of use of weed, the agency may demand provable evidence of abstinence in the form of urines over a period of time. But maybe not, depending on what a qualified external psychiatry expert has to say. Usually to save $$s, I consider starting a proven sobriety program PRIOR to seeing the external psychiatrist.
(4) Depending on what your medical records look like, an "in healthcare system" psychiatrist might do the job. But at the other end of the spectrum is the HIMS investigational psychiatrist, about $3,000. They are the ultimately "credible" external experts: but for that, to keep your powder dry, I would DEFINITELY spend the time cents to probe sobriety over a substantial period of time. See 67.307 for the definition of "abuse" and the two year prohibition.

Bruce

Not adding anything, and it probably has been said before, but I just got to say it. Doctor Chien is a wonderful human being, and a GA hero, without a doubt.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back