Preview of things to come.....

They do and this guy was awarded it because he’s a pilot. Obviously the Marine Corps looks at his impact on aviation as a remote pilot, in higher regard than any other manned aircraft pilot.

An aviator that never leaves the ground... that's new. Now they'll need to dream up all new awards for those that do leave the ground...

Morals are a personal thing. Personally, I don't see how what you described in your post is much different than launching an ICBM from a silo in North Dakota, or dropping a cruise missile off the wing of a plane a thousand miles from the enemy.
It’s not and I said as much in my post you’re parting out.

All of the weapon systems you brought up bring forth the same philosophical debate as drones.

Lots of assumptions there. I don’t see the Marine aviation community losing their minds over this.
More specifically, the retired Marine crowd, which is very vocal about any perceived loosening of their ethos. Look at the very public disagreement over current force redesign as exhibit one.

A few of them are more than happy to inject politics into unrelated issues when it suits them. This fits a certain narrative, so I would not be surprised if it got some traction, much like the recent idiocy over the West Point mission statement.

Back