Pretty sporty today

RyanB

Super Administrator
Management Council Member
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Ryan
This afternoon the surface winds were relatively still, but once I broke ground, I yawed about 15 degrees left of centerline and let it weathervane into the wind on the climbout. I hopped over to a nearby airport that sits in between two mountain ridges (@Bill Jennings home drome) and did a few landings and that made for a good challenge with the tricks that the winds were playing on me. All in all, it was a fun afternoon.

Last edited:
I know it! Figured I better take advantage of what we had yesterday.

I figured the same thing. got my butt whooped on a short burger run. had two really good strong gusty crosswind landings. haven't had to do those in a while so it was good confirmation that on occasion eman can actually fly an airplane.

I figured the same thing. got my butt whooped on a short burger run. had two really good strong gusty crosswind landings. haven't had to do those in a while so it was good confirmation that on occasion eman can actually fly an airplane.
First one of mine wasn’t too pretty because those darned winds kept making me float, then balloon, then float some more then a little crosswind gust came in and then I just went smack! The rest of them were ‘ok’ considering the conditions.

Today was picture perfect in Michigan. Beautiful blue sky, light and variable winds- emphasis on the light... I hopped to the other side of the state and back... was a little too hazy to climb and see both lakes but man it feels good to be flying again, on my own in my own airplane. Even a low powered two seater put the far side of the state a 45 minute jaunt away. This was my first trip on my own since buying her and getting signed off for the TW.

Freezing rain will be back tomorrow - ugh

I was out and about yesterday as well. Wasn’t bad (10 kts) on the surface but had about 35 kts a few thousand feet up. Fortunately it was pretty smooth aloft. Bounced around a bit in the pattern and pulled off an ok landing.

Had to get out before what appears to be a solid 6-7 days of no flying weather. Was surprised to see so much flooding already in NW GA. Now the winds are here and I just lost power a few minutes ago to what is most likely a downed tree.:(

I was out and about yesterday as well. Wasn’t bad (10 kts) on the surface but had about 35 kts a few thousand feet up. Fortunately it was pretty smooth aloft. Bounced around a bit in the pattern and pulled off an ok landing.

Had to get out before what appears to be a solid 6-7 days of no flying weather. Was surprised to see so much flooding already in NW GA. Now the winds are here and I just lost power a few minutes ago to what is most likely a downed tree.:(

Oh man, that’s rough... we’ll probably be dealing with that when the freezing rain comes tomorrow

Had to get out before what appears to be a solid 6-7 days of no flying weather.
My idea as well.

I flew a few patterns at FGU around 4:30p yesterday afternoon and shortly after I got airborne on my first go, I heard another fella announce he was taxiing for takeoff. He accompanied me in the pattern for one lap and once he landed he said he was clearing the runway. I said ‘it’s pretty sporty up here today, isn’t it?’ and he said ‘it sure is.’ One lap was all he did. LOL. You know how Collegedale can be when you get some winds...

Snow and more snow on the way. We’ve had nearly 50” since the first of February and the weather service predicts another 12” or so by the end of the month. And when it’s not snowing, it is IFR or LIFR because of low clouds and fog. Not to mention icing because of visible moisture and pretty constant cold temperatures. I have never been grounded so long! Between minor surgery in January and crappy weather I haven’t taken my plane out of the hangar since the end of December.

You know how Collegedale can be when you get some winds...

Oh I know. Funnyish little story:

Before I started my lessons, a buddy took me up in a rented 172 on a nice Saturday afternoon. He had just passed his ride a few months before, and I had never ridden in a small plane before. As it sometimes does, late afternoon the winds had picked up, and on final as he got to the tree line of the ridges on both sides of the airport, the plane got slapped all around. He yells DUCK![1] in a really loud voice as he saws away at the yoke and continues to cuss as we approach the runway. At that point my sphincter started mining seat foam as my right hand death gripped the door arm rest. He actually pulled off a decent landing, and apologized about making me nervous. Interestingly, after this I started lessons myself, but I did make a mental note: Never yell explicatives on short final, it doesn't make the pax feel very confident in your piloting skills![2]

[1] The "D" might have been an "F"
[2] It's ok to silently cuss to yourself, though

Never yell explicatives on short final, it doesn't make the pax feel very confident in your piloting skills![2]

[1] The "D" might have been an "F"
[2] It's ok to silently cuss to yourself, though

Another one that scared one of my passengers years ago was my checklists.... I was a newer pilot and they thought I still needed refreshers on how to do things and thats what the list was for! lol. Ever since I mention that to passengers that checklists are part of professional flying wether its a 2 seat bug smasher or a 747...

Back