Pretty Nice PC for Ubuntu

RJM62

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Geek on the Hill
I needed to set up another Ubuntu workstation in my office and was going to just build a box, but I happened to stop at Office Depot and saw this machine on sale for four hundred bucks after rebate. I said to myself, "Rich, that's less than what you would pay for parts," so I bought one. They had another one on sale -- an HP, I think -- but it had ATI video. I prefer nVidia, especially on Linux machines.

I got home and booted into Ubuntu Live (Feisty), and everything important worked with no configuration at all. The el-cheapo PCI winmodem doesn't, but I don't need a dialup modem anyway and can easily replace it if I ever do need one.

The test having been successful, I deleted the Windows partition, started the Ubuntu install process, and took a shower. When I was done, I had a perfectly functional Ubuntu machine.

The nVidia video works great once you enable the restricted drivers (takes about three seconds). I played TuxRacer (or "Planet Penguin," as they now call it) for an hour or so just to make sure. The sound and NIC work fine, as well. I didn't test the card reader, but Linux sees it, so it should work fine. Same with the LPT port. Everything else seems to work just fine.

I suppose it would play DVD's beautifully, too, if I were to install VideoLAN and libdvdcss2, just speaking theoretically of course. :rolleyes:

So basically, all I had to do was download updates, install the software I wanted, and configure Samba. Make a really nice Ubuntu box, and I couldn't have built one for that price.

Rich

Yeah, that's good news. I'm not sure if Ubuntu's growing popularity has something to do with it, but it's good news, anyway.

Rich

I played TuxRacer (or "Planet Penguin," as they now call it) for an hour or so just to make sure.

mmmmhmmm, "just to make sure" ;)

Thanks, I wondered what happened to my Tux Racer.

Very cool report on the cheap machine.

I hope AMD doesn't pull the same bait-n-switch that nvidia did on the developers so many years ago. It'd be great to have some open source 3d.

Back