Presidential transportation (no politics!)

Presidential airspace - 1969 version. P-25, the prohibited area over Richard Nixon's "Western White House" in San Clemente, was 1-mile radius and up to 4,000'.

P-25.jpg

P-25.jpeg

(R-2533, which was for the nearby Camp Pendleton Marine Corps base and pre-dated Nixon's presence in the area, only went up to 2,000'.)

One time I was flying with a student in a Cherokee 180 southeast bound on V23, and flew right over the top of the Chief Executive at 5,500'. No transponders in those days. I looked to our right and saw a Huey about a mile away climbing up to our altitude momentarily then heading back down. Evidently he was just checking we were legally above the airspace.

Presidential airspace - 1969 version. P-25, the prohibited area over Richard Nixon's "Western White House" in San Clemente, was 1-mile radius and up to 4,000'.

View attachment 93336

View attachment 93337

(R-2533, which was for the nearby Camp Pendleton Marine Corps base and pre-dated Nixon's presence in the area, only went up to 2,000'.)

One time I was flying with a student in a Cherokee 180 southeast bound on V23, and flew right over the top of the Chief Executive at 5,500'. No transponders in those days. I looked to our right and saw a Huey about a mile away climbing up to our altitude momentarily then heading back down. Evidently he was just checking we were legally above the airspace.

It looks like P-25 has been dropped after San Onofre was decommissioned in 2013. Last time I flew to KSEE, it was kind of in the way, and I was kind of hoping ATC would clear me through it. Doesn't hurt to ask right?

As a side note, one of the jobs I interviewed for at the on campus job fair prior to graduating with an ME degree was an engineering position at San Onofre. I didn't get it.

So for outgoing presidents is there a TFR over their home for life?

If the president is jogging, is it "Sneaker One" and "Sneaker Two?" Which is the left one?

So for outgoing presidents is there a TFR over their home for life?
TFR or Prohibited. W has both. TFR over his main residence, which is within the DFW class B, and P49 over the Crawford ranch. USSS is stupidly protective of these.

TFR or Prohibited. W has both. TFR over his main residence, which is within the DFW class B, and P49 over the Crawford ranch. USSS is stupidly protective of these.
Don't forget P67 in Kennebunkport for late HW & W's vacation house...

Only other P-area for a former POTUS I can see per the Wiki article on prohibited airspace is Mount Vernon for George Washington. Bet he feels better knowing that ;)

I don't recall exactly how big the Prohibited Area was over Ronald Reagan's California ranch, but it wasn't overly large. Gaviota VORTAC (GVO) is located on the ranch property itself (Marine One used to land on a cleared pad alongside the VORTAC transmitter), and I don't recall airways in the area being disrupted too badly.

Reagan is dead. The only dead president with a P area over his house is indeed George Washington. Post 9-11 presidents typically get a small area over their house as mentioned.

Back