Presidential TFRs

Matthew

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Matthew
I've been busy on the days when we've had good wx this week and was going to take the afternoon off on Friday just to do a little pattern work and knock off some rust.

Turns out we'll be inside the outer ring of a Presidential TFR on Friday. I haven't seen the TFR posted yet so I don't know the active times and I'm not familiar with all the restrictions.

Is it possible to do pattern work?

How about flying out of the ring (VFR) to another airport for a couple touch and goes then returning?

Or just reschedule for Sat?

I've been busy on the days when we've had good wx this week and was going to take the afternoon off on Friday just to do a little pattern work and knock off some rust.

Turns out we'll be inside the outer ring of a Presidential TFR on Friday. I haven't seen the TFR posted yet so I don't know the active times and I'm not familiar with all the restrictions.

How about flying out of the ring (VFR) to another airport for a couple touch and goes then returning?

When the king is in town no little terrorist airplanes can fly.

All hail the One.

Assuming the VIP TFR wording hasn't changed...and it's best to read the darn thing each time. I don't want to see an F-16 or Blackhawk up close and personal.

No pattern work while the TFR is active. No training flights. It is possible (and not really a problem) to fly out of or into the outer ring if you follow the rules to the letter. Denver approach won't even let me get near the inner ring though so you have to follow the rules but they expand the rules to suit whomever (I assume secret service).

I always resched unless it's a cross country flight out of or into the outer ring.

If you're in the inner ring you're just out of luck.

File a flight plan for both the outbound and the inbound legs, follow the notam requirements.

In the outer ring, the requirements are similar to operating within the washington SFRA. You need to have a flight-plan on file and you need to be in contact with ATC on an assigned transponder code (e.g. by receiving VFR advisories). The oddity is that your VFR flight plan will reside with Lockheed Martin, your flight following will be with the ATC facility and neither has a way to know what the other one is doing. So you open and close your VFR flight plan with lockmart either on the phone at both ends or airborne and you obtain flight following from the respective ATC facility with an assigned transponder code.

The FAA sends a notice to the Academy of Model Aeronautics (AMA) every time there's "VIP movement". AMA sends it to all the local clubs (I belong to 2)

So, every time El Jefe comes to LAX, I get notified at least 5 times :)

When the king is in town no little terrorist airplanes can fly.

All hail the One.

This was put in place during the administration of the Conservative hero George W Bush. I've hated election season ever since, being in the capital of one of the largest swing states.

Not even the "itty bitty" ones - they shut down my R/C plane flying too.

They also don't want model rockets or those dastardly hang-gliders! Don't forget the powered parachutes too, everyone knows the terrorists used those in a JB/007 movie!

Surely paper airplanes are still allowed.

Maybe even balsa-wood planes that are rubber-band powered, as well, but I'm not sure about it.

gui76.jpg

This one from SkyGeek releases an object that looks like a parachutist. Sort of like a bomb with a parachute. Just think of the possibilities this poses for terror.

If you launch one of these things and they send a chopper to intercept, be sure to let us know.

Last edited:
I'm so glad I asked my stupid question. Thanks for the laugh. My hat is off to you sir!

To answer your original question, it's in the NOTAM.

C. THE FOLLOWING OPERATIONS ARE NOT AUTHORIZED WITHIN THIS TFR: FLIGHT TRAINING, PRACTICE INSTRUMENT APPROACHES, AEROBATIC FLIGHT, GLIDER OPERATIONS, SEAPLANE OPERATIONS, PARACHUTE OPERATIONS, ULTRALIGHT, HANG GLIDING, BALLOON OPERATIONS, AGRICULTURE/CROP DUSTING, ANIMAL POPULATION CONTROL FLIGHT OPERATIONS, BANNER TOWING OPERATIONS, SIGHTSEEING OPERATIONS, MAINTENANCE TEST FLIGHTS, RADIO CONTROLLED MODEL AIRCRAFT OPERATIONS, MODEL ROCKETRY, UNMANNED AIRCRAFT SYSTEMS (UAS), AND UTILITY AND PIPELINE SURVEY OPERATIONS.

Not even the "itty bitty" ones - they shut down my R/C plane flying too.

You have got to be kidding? I fly R/C and have seen AF one up close(kinda) and I don't get it. I mean what could you do even if you wanted to?

You have got to be kidding? I fly R/C and have seen AF one up close(kinda) and I don't get it. I mean what could you do even if you wanted to?

Load it up with anthrax and a nice aerosol dispenser. Of course such an attack won't be stopped by a TFR...

To answer your original question, it's in the NOTAM.

[/SIZE][/FONT]

Interesting. However, I owned an r/c plane long before I even heard of a NOTAM. Not sure how I would have known, until the little black helicopters swept in and took me out.

Considering AF1 parks right next to my office, I could probably do as much damage with a golf ball as my 36% plane :rofl:

It wasn't hard to find out when the TFR expired - all the trainers started flying over my house.

So how much do I need to pay to get notams on not fling my r/c 172 .? Would love to see the iddy biddy helicopters do the shoot down of the R/C

Two of us stopped through Scott AFB yesterday to get some gas on a cross country, and I had to lol a little at the security. This really has no relevance to the discussion other than the fact that we landed right before the executive C-40 took off, and the President was supposed to go there today. Anyway, we shut our jets down, and are met immediately by some real hard a** contract security guard. He says "do you all have flying orders?" to which we looked at him like he had 5 arms and said we had no idea what that means. He was very concerned about us leaving our aircraft (mind you they were military jets that he had watched us get out of, on a military base), and I really have no idea what the fuss was all about. Ended up walking away to take a pee, chatting with the friendly folks in base ops for a minute, and coming back a few minutes later to leave. WTF? Anyone know what the deal is with that place? I know it is like the super HQ for the airlift command, but I have to admit it caught me off guard. I've never been so thoroughly investigated, and that includes going to red line parking in a bunch of other presumably much more sensitive AFB's.

Two of us stopped through Scott AFB yesterday to get some gas on a cross country, and I had to lol a little at the security. This really has no relevance to the discussion other than the fact that we landed right before the executive C-40 took off, and the President was supposed to go there today. Anyway,[snip]

Now you know how the rest of us feel in our little-bitty airplanes. It's crazy.

Back