Presidential TFR insanity

Ken Ibold

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ken Ibold
The following is a report from Allyson Parker-Lauck. Makes you wonder who, really, we ought to be looking out for:

Yesterday, Southwest Airlines flew a plane into New Orleans (MSY) to
offer relief. They brought in food, water, ice, etc., along with 30
SWA people to offer help and to assess the damage at the MSY airport.
One of my very good friends was one of the group and he offered a very
in-depth report of the trip.

One disturbing thing was brought up. During the President's 1700'
fly-by in Air Force 1 yesterday, they enforced the Presidential TFR
and made the SWA plane hold for about half an hour. I hear Bush is
planning another trip down to MSY tomorrow. Things are bad enough
there as it is. I hope that the TFR doesn't interfere with relief
efforts. There are lots of people out there with private planes who
are flying in to offer supplies and evacuation options. Will they be
prohibited from doing this?

And, by the way, check out this link, especially Part IV. It was prepared 3 years ago: http://www.americanradioworks.org/features/wetlands/index.html

Last edited:
Ken,

The best thing Bush can do is stay away.

When he first announced a trip, I pointed out just what effect that would have on relief. If he wants to look at brain-dead, I suggest a trip over to Congress or the DHS.

JMHO.

I have to agree, Bush is trying to help, but if he's hindering the response by aid workers, it would be in his and the country's best interest to stay away until things start getting better.

Better yet, take the millions that it will take to get him and his entorage down there for this photo op, and donate it to the relief efforts.

Or ... fill AF-1 front to back with MRE's and bottled water, they'll be of more use than his presense there.

wsuffa said:
Ken,

The best thing Bush can do is stay away.

When he first announced a trip, I pointed out just what effect that would have on relief. If he wants to look at brain-dead, I suggest a trip over to Congress or the DHS.

JMHO.

gibbons said:
He doesn't have to stay away. He can just say, "No TFR on this trip."

IIRC, a post about a year ago either here or on AOPA mentioned TFRs are not in the control of the President. S.S. or some such agency makes the call. However, I wonder if a Presidential Order could banish TFRs.

They're shooting at helicopters down there. He needs that TFR to protect against that sort of thing.

Never mind....

Jon

4CornerFlyer said:
They're shooting at helicopters down there. He needs that TFR to protect against that sort of thing.

Never mind....
How does a Temporary Flight Restriction protect against being shot at by some goof on the ground?

The shots came because the goof wanted the helicopters to know he was serious about saying SAVE ME!

A ferry pilot was also shot. You don't save me I'll shoot you.

The best thing GW could do right now is fire the head of FEMA who keeps asking the reporters "What problem at the Superdome?" and the National Guard colonel who keeps saying the troops can't get there when the TV crews are coming and going perfectly well.

Most mear mortals no not of TFRs nor care. All anyone wants to know is that George cares. That he shut down recovery and support efforts is something only us pilots will appreciate. And to be honest, if he didn't do the tour, you and every other American would be bitching about it.
The other thing is, as to the TFR, if I recall correctly, he doesn't have a choice in the matter. The Secret Service dictates them. Nobody crosses them.
So, let George have the spotlight as was expected of him. Right or wrong.

silver-eagle said:
Most mear mortals no not of TFRs nor care. All anyone wants to know is that George cares. That he shut down recovery and support efforts is something only us pilots will appreciate. And to be honest, if he didn't do the tour, you and every other American would be bitching about it.
The other thing is, as to the TFR, if I recall correctly, he doesn't have a choice in the matter. The Secret Service dictates them. Nobody crosses them.

Make that all Americans bitching about it by at least minus one...

I've never cared much much for politicians sipping a drink in an airconditioned jet while gawking and yapping overhead of a disaster area made well known verbally by the media as well as on mass media video. It is the epitome of ass*olism, a waste of resources that could have been donated to the victims, and is perhaps the lowest form of politicking.

silver-eagle said:
And to be honest, if he didn't do the tour, you and every other American would be bitching about it.

I will thank you to not speak for me. I will applaud him if he stays away instead of grandstanding. This is not a campaign appearance. Other volunteers are being asked to stay away.

Richard said:
IIRC, a post about a year ago either here or on AOPA mentioned TFRs are not in the control of the President. S.S. or some such agency makes the call. However, I wonder if a Presidential Order could banish TFRs.
I thought about that after I made my post and I don't know the answer to that. I'd like to think that as President, he/she would have the authority to do what's right, SS be damned. But, it probably doesn't work that way.

Still, I'd like to think that if I were President I could make that call. I'm sure Harrison Ford would. :)

I was neither condoning the grandstanding nor complaining about it, simply acknowledging that if he didn't appear in the area there'd be flack. That he did it in a flyby in AF1 is actually immaterial to most people. It showed he was interested.
But be honest.... what would you be saying today if he had not, first hand, witnessed the disaster? Would you feel better if he did it in Marine 1? How about not at all?
Frankly, send more troops to shoot the gangs, particularly the ones impediing the rescue effort. Send more help. But stay out of the way. Right now George, even a road trip might cause problems.

silver-eagle said:
You're saying that Presidental Authority doesn't superceed the Secret Service? I do think thats mistaken. I think its more a question of awareness, vs. apathy. If he doesn't know that his travels are disrupting relief efforts what can we expect? At his level that sort of complaint is more frequently filtered from ever reaching him than not.

And please don't presume to speak for me. Touring is a leadership gesture, but I will have no problem if he stays out of their way so as not to hample the tremendous efforts being undertaken.

Richard said:

What the boss says, goes. He could stop the TFR if he wasn't so afraid.

MSmith said:
What the boss says, goes. He could stop the TFR if he wasn't so afraid.
I really wonder if he even knows about a Presidential TFR ... sounds like details that he wouldn't even be aware of...

AOPA is reporting presidential TFRs for NO and Baton Rouge, confirmed on the FAA website. They did exempt medical evacuations. Generous of them. Wonder how the SS felt about that break? I bet they are delighted to have George going down there, what with fire from the ground and all.

Jim G

Remember that Kerry didn't want any TFRs when he campaigned and he didn't get any.

Back