Final Approach
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Namaste
President signs G.I. flight training bill into law
AOPA urges Congress to approve funding

By AOPA Communications staff
President Barack Obama signed into law a bill that expands educational funding opportunities for active duty servicemen and women, for the first time including flight training in eligible programs, on Jan. 4. Both Houses of Congress passed the “Post-9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Improvements Act of 2010” during the busy lame duck session of the 111th Congress.

For the complete article: http://www.aopa.org/advocacy/articles/2011/110111gi_bill_for_flight_training_passes.html

(hopefully my post won't send this to SZ)

Think about the "security" procedures that'll likely be inflicted on these GI Bill student pilots...ya know, men and women that have served our country. <sigh>

What a waste of tax money, train them for a job that qualifies them for food stamps....

What Henning said, spend gov't money training folks for a crap job, that more people than needed are willing to pay out of pocket to train for. Stupid.

What a waste of tax money, train them for a job that qualifies them for food stamps....

You know, I wonder why we are subsidizing training in a sector, that based on current pricing, is already severely over-supplied.

President signs G.I. flight training bill into law
AOPA urges Congress to approve funding

By AOPA Communications staff
President Barack Obama signed into law a bill that expands educational funding opportunities for active duty servicemen and women, for the first time including flight training in eligible programs, on Jan. 4. Both Houses of Congress passed the “Post-9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Improvements Act of 2010” during the busy lame duck session of the 111th Congress.

For the complete article: http://www.aopa.org/advocacy/articles/2011/110111gi_bill_for_flight_training_passes.html

I question that this is the first time they have offered flight training. I seem to recall the GI Bill back in the 80's offered flight training although I seem to recall it was post private.

Correct, to ditto Tim's comment, except I used mine all up getting my Master's and had no money nor duration left on the GI Bill to pursue advanced flying certs. (I had the "old" GI Bill) which had both a dollar (IIRC) and a "use by" expiration date.

It will be a great deal assuming it sticks.

Since this requires funding and since the House is now all about reducing spending and since there is not likely to be a big public backlash to not funding this I think we can say this is DOA. :cryin:

Since this requires funding and since the House is now all about reducing spending and since there is not likely to be a big public backlash to not funding this I think we can say this is DOA. :cryin:

I agree that you're probably right. However, if it does slip through, I plan on using it for my commercial and CFI-II tickets. Who knows, I may even go off the deep end and shoot for an A&P... hmmm.

I question that this is the first time they have offered flight training. I seem to recall the GI Bill back in the 80's offered flight training although I seem to recall it was post private.

It used to pay for 90% of all training above PPL. That was back in the late
70s when I used it. I squeezed out Commercial, Instrument, Multi, Helicopter,
Helicopter CFI, and ASEL CFI add-on. Then I stayed in the grocery business. Well .. it was fun.

RT

Correct - I used the GI bill for my Instrument, Commercial, and Multi in the 90s.

Didn't they used to require you to have a PPL to be eligible for GI Bill funding of flight training? I seem to remember guys in that era using it tell me that. Perhaps now PPL is also fundable? Could that be what they were referring to?

Didn't they used to require you to have a PPL to be eligible for GI Bill funding of flight training? I seem to remember guys in that era using it tell me that. Perhaps now PPL is also fundable? Could that be what they were referring to?
Yes - the MGIB I used had to be for "vocational/career" stuff, which meant that the private was excluded. When I applied for approval I stated I was taking training leading to a commercial pilot certificate with single, multiengine, and instrument ratings.

Yes - the MGIB I used had to be for "vocational/career" stuff, which meant that the private was excluded. When I applied for approval I stated I was taking training leading to a commercial pilot certificate with single, multiengine, and instrument ratings.

Did you have a PPL at that time?

Back