President Bush will

President Bush will...

• be hailed in history as one of the great Presidents.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • be lost in a sea of mediocrity.

Votes: 29 35.8%
  • will be remembered in history as one of the worst.

Votes: 34 42.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
He'll be doomed to mediocrity, if you want to call it doomed. He has been a great president, and he has made great decisions, but with all of the division in the country, people will blame him.

He's certainly not JFK, so he won't go down in history as the worst president of all time, and he's no Ronald Regan, so he won't go down in history as the best president of all time. He'll be lumped with the Gerald Fords and the Chester Allan Arthurs.

As it probably should be.

SkyHog said:
He'll be doomed to mediocrity, if you want to call it doomed. He has been a great president, and he has made great decisions, but with all of the division in the country, people will blame him.

He's certainly not JFK, so he won't go down in history as the worst president of all time, and he's no Ronald Regan, so he won't go down in history as the best president of all time. He'll be lumped with the Gerald Fords and the Chester Allan Arthurs.

As it probably should be.

I think part of the problem is that he originally ran on a ticket of uniting the divisions...and we seem to be more polarised and divided today that we were 10 years ago. It seems people either love him, or hate him - and there is very little middle ground.

I don't think the blame lays solely at Mr. Bush's feet though - I think the bulk of the blame has to be put on the career politicians on both sides that continue to put their careers and special interests above the needs of the country and it's people, and the media for playing along with it.

SJP said:
I think the bulk of the blame has to be put on the career politicians on both sides that continue to put their careers and special interests above the needs of the country and it's people, and the media for playing along with it.
And that, in a nutshell, pretty much sums up most of the problems with this country right now.

Wow, surprised at the poll results so far. His term isn't over yet ;) but I voted for mediocrity. The "worst ever" is reserved for the Hardings, Pierces, Nixons, Jacksons of history.

I lay the problems squarely at the feet of the voters. Everyone likes to say bad government isnt their fault...its is! You cant get into office without the voters....ok it happened once....no twice.

By History, I'm assuming you mean people who have not yet been born, i.e., didn't experience this era personally.

I think he will be remembered as a decent president who was in office at a really crappy time. I hope he uses his remaining time to really change the way this country uses and generates energy. That could put him a little closer to Reagan (at the great end of the scale).

The situation in Iraq is bad, not that I'm saying it is his fault, it is just a bad situation. What happens over the next 10yrs or so with terrorists & all the nutjobs in the middle east will probably greatly impact how people reflect on Bush.

SteveR said:
By History, I'm assuming you mean people who have not yet been born, i.e., didn't experience this era personally.

I think he will be remembered as a decent president who was in office at a really crappy time. I hope he uses his remaining time to really change the way this country uses and generates energy. That could put him a little closer to Reagan (at the great end of the scale).

The situation in Iraq is bad, not that I'm saying it is his fault, it is just a bad situation. What happens over the next 10yrs or so with terrorists & all the nutjobs in the middle east will probably greatly impact how people reflect on Bush.

Along those lines, it is unlikely that he or any of at least the next few presidents will be remembered fondly since they'll all be dealing with an uglier and uglier situation in the Mid East and with other terrorists and that's what will commonly be remembered by the public majority.

SteveR said:

Well, I will probably get flamed, but...let me turn this around on you. I consider Reagan to be a crappy to mediocre President in office at a great time, which accounts for his "greatness."

alaskaflyer said:
Wow, surprised at the poll results so far. His term isn't over yet ;) but I voted for mediocrity. The "worst ever" is reserved for the Hardings, Pierces, Nixons, Jacksons of history.

Nixon was far from the worst. He and Kissinger played the Soviets and Chinese like a fiddle. They set the economic groundwork that set up the end of the cold war.

alaskaflyer said:
Well, I will probably get flamed, but...let me turn this around on you. I consider Reagan to be a crappy to mediocre President in office at a great time, which accounts for his "greatness."

IMHO, Reagan and BushII are the same thing. They are the front men for the people making the calls. Reagan was an obvious choice, a well liked well spoken well mannered actor. A little Alzheimers probably even made it better. People believe that he "didn't recall" when it came to Iran. Bush II I see as a good choice for them as well. GW is witty, he's likeable, people identify with him, and he'll take dads instructions. Neither of these gentlemen would be in Mensa though.

Henning said:
Nixon was far from the worst. He and Kissinger played the Soviets and Chinese like a fiddle. They set the economic groundwork that set up the end of the cold war.
Thank you for saying that. As a VN vet, I'm glad he got our butts out of there. Kennedy and Johnson got our butts in there...

See my prior post. This is pure knee-jerk BS. So you guys want to screw one of our very few friends in the middle east? It's got NOTHING to do with security, but only has to do with screwing a friend...

Dave Krall CFII said:
Along those lines, it is unlikely that he or any of at least the next few presidents will be remembered fondly since they'll all be dealing with an uglier and uglier situation in the Mid East and with other terrorists and that's what will commonly be remembered by the public majority.

I agree. I don't see an easy or quick way out of the situation, and that is bad news for anyone who is in charge.

alaskaflyer said:

I won't deny that being in office during good times has a big effect on how you are remembered (look at Clinton), but I do think that Reagan was a very intelligent man. IMO, he handled the Soviets very well, and had a lot of other policies that I liked. Overall, I think he did a lot for this country.

Henning said:
True, and lots of us VN vets are grateful to him for bringing our troops back from RVN and the mess that JFK and LBJ got us into...

Henning said:

Agreed. Together they handled foreign policy like no one has before or since. Although flawed, he was a good (maybe great) president.

SJP said:
I think the bulk of the blame has to be put on the career politicians on both sides that continue to put their careers and special interests above the needs of the country and it's people, and the media for playing along with it.

thats a HUGE problem in this country right now and you hit the nail on the head perfectly, i couldnt have said it better myself

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggggggggg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wouldn't be President in this day and age, for all the money in the world. (I didn't vote in the poll, BTW.

pertti said:
Bush ia like our Halonen, class 3

Do you have ridiculous no-fly zones around your country's capital city and where your president lives or may be speaking too?

Last edited:
Back