Presentation by Cirrus N787CB CAPS Deployment Pilot

Every caps deployment increases sr22 insurance premiums

Forgive my cirrus ignorance - is a CAPS deployment a "totaling" event for the airframe?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Forgive my cirrus ignorance - is a CAPS deployment a "totaling" event for the airframe?

In this case, the airframe was totaled, but that is not always the case. There have been a few airframes repaired and returned to service after a CAPS deployment.

Ryan

I thought the rip-out panels in the top for the straps weren't a fixable item?

In this case, the airframe was totaled, but that is not always the case. There have been a few airframes repaired and returned to service after a CAPS deployment.

Ryan

I was aware of one that was repaired as a "proof of concept" by the Cirrus factory.

It also gained significant weight in the repair process, IIRC.

Were there more?

I thought the rip-out panels in the top for the straps weren't a fixable item?

Not sure how it is done. The December 2011 issue of Aviation Consumer had a article on the Cirrus safety record. According them, there have been 31 CAPS deployments and 12 have been repaired and returned to service. I can only imagine what that does to the resale value.

Ryan

Every caps deployment increases sr22 insurance premiums

Depending on how many hull losses there are versus savings on liability from passengers that would have died without a CAPS deployment, it might reduce the insurance rate. Considering the small number of CAPS deployments in SR22s, I don't think it will have much of an impact either way on insurance premiums.

Ryan

Not sure how it is done. The December 2011 issue of Aviation Consumer had a article on the Cirrus safety record. According them, there have been 31 CAPS deployments and 12 have been repaired and returned to service. I can only imagine what that does to the resale value.

Ryan

That's a much higher number than I had anticipated.

This was the list I was thinking of, with deployment #1 repaired (N1223S, which was involved in a fatal accident a year or so later.)

http://www.cirruspilots.org/wikis/accidenthistory/cirrus-parachute-activations.aspx

Back