Prescott Pusher

Speaking of pushers.. this showed up in my YouTube..

Pushers have some theoretical aerodynamic advantages that make them interesting to designers, but often don't deliver real world gains... and as everything is a compromise, there are some disadvantages, too.

Rutan is a brilliant but eccentric designer who likes to design eccentric airplanes, many of which are tightly focused point designs. He could, no doubt, design conventional airplanes that would perform very well, but it wouldn't be any fun for him, so he doesn't do it.

You'd think a slip could result in some interesting airflow on the forward-mounted rudder with it being on the port side.
I was thinking the same thing.. must be "odd" to slip it.. if not impossible? The winglets as I understand it are fixed

Is there an inherent advantage a pusher has vs a front engine? I can't think of one, but maybe I'm missing something. Seems like a front prop with an empennage would be more stable.
No oil on the windshield when the engine comes apart

I was thinking the same thing.. must be "odd" to slip it.. if not impossible? The winglets as I understand it are fixed

I'm sure it's possible, however there would likely be some loss of rudder effectiveness in aggressive slips to the left. May be immaterial as much of that rudder hangs below the nose.

Just put a turbine on it...Raptor are you listening?

Gawd I love that sound

Back