Preparing for IR training

Star Keeper

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Star Keeper
I picked up my PPL in December of 2021. Since then I've been doing a trip here and there and some breakfast runs. My original intent was to go straight into into my instrument training under 141 but the school I finished my private in is really lacking weekend instructors with only 1 saturday and a different 1 sunday. They are in high demand and I can't even get on their schedule for 1-2 months to complete my complex that I started in April. As such I'm considering going Part 61 instead so that I can leverage an outside independent instructor. As I understand it the two big differences are 141 requires a structured instructor taught ground school and 61 requires 50 hours of PIC XC prior to applying for the IR Check Ride. I already have 13 hours of PIC XC with a few VFR XC trips planned in the next few months. My school and instructors are pushing the 141 really hard but based on my calculations the finances benefit them for a student to go 141 vs 61. They also recommend that ALL hood time should be logged with the CFII not just a buddy safety pilot. So a couple of questions.

1. In this situation where I would most likely have the hours by the time I hit checkride would going 61 be a less costly path?

2. Is there any other benefit besides not needing the 50 PIC XC and having more of a structured instruction path to going 141?

3. Since it seems either way is going to take me a few months to get a schedule built up is there any recommended training within my VFR flying that I can do to better prepare myself for IR training?

4. Does my under the hood training with a safety pilot or instructor on board count towards my 50 PIC XC assuming the flight meets the requirement of XC? This question includes my 250nm Instrument XC requirement.

My recommendation is to use Flight Following and start working on your cross country hours while having some fun. I don’t believe the regs say your cross country time has to be under the hood. I think (it has been a while) you can count any cross country time as long as your are PIC.

If pursuing a career flying, part 141 might be more structured for that path. If just personal flying, part 61 would work just fine.

I don’t believe the regs say your cross country time has to be under the hood. I think (it has been a while) you can count any cross country time as long as your are PIC.

For the total PIC XC correct it doesn't need to be under the hood. But am I PIC for the IFR XC 250 with my instructor? If so I would guess that trip counts for my PIC XC as well.

More or less, the closer the lessons are together the more efficiently you'll learn. To me, 141 spaced out over X months for an IR is nuts. I'd just do it 61. In fact, I am working my IR 61.

What helped me was to fly almost every lesson as a cross country and hit as many approaches on the way. 3 times a week minimum, (seriously).
And find a school that’s 61, get comfortable with 2 primary instructors for schedule flexibility and varied learning.
if your primary instructors aren’t around, fly with a different instructor. Everyone I flew weigh taught me something different and I’m grateful I did it.

Wish you well on your ticket!!

Most large 61 schools, or at least the better CFIIs, will have a structured syllabus. You should ask to see it before starting.

The few CFIIs near me I’ve spoken with had lesson plans, handouts with assigned reading each lesson etc.

You can get a structured 61 experience.

…My original intent was to go straight into into my instrument training under 141 but the school I finished my private in is really lacking weekend instructors with only 1 saturday and a different 1 sunday. They are in high demand …

1. In this situation where I would most likely have the hours by the time I hit checkride would going 61 be a less costly path?

2. Is there any other benefit besides not needing the 50 PIC XC and having more of a structured instruction path to going 141?

3. Since it seems either way is going to take me a few months to get a schedule built up is there any recommended training within my VFR flying that I can do to better prepare myself for IR training?

4. Does my under the hood training with a safety pilot or instructor on board count towards my 50 PIC XC assuming the flight meets the requirement of XC? This question includes my 250nm Instrument XC requirement.

1. If you can only fly on the weekends, 141 will likely be as costly as or more than part 61.

2. 141 benefit: more hours creditable simulator time

3. Already covered elsewhere re: flight following, etc.

4. Yes.

1) probably, if you were going to do the vfr xc anyway, and you are capable of doing the knowledge work on your own. Cfii I worked with charges $50 an hour. I did 40 hours with him, including a couple ground to satisfy the required logged ground instruction.

2) the training requirement is 35 hours vs 40

3)what rgbeard said. Also learn the power settings that produce a 500fpm descent. Do a search for "ifr pattern". These are flight exercises that simulate the skills you'll use in ifr flying. Intercepting courses, reversals, timed turns, turns to a heading, and flying that heading. Being familiar with these can help a bit. Don't forget that you're vfr when you're doing this stuff and keep an eye out for traffic, or bring a friend. With a safety pilot you could even do it under the hood and log a couple hours

4)I believe it does. I think most accelerated courses want you to show up with 35 xc as you'll pick up about 15 during their training

One caution... don't expect that you can do a bunch of time with a safety pilot and then the minimum with an instructor. I did 38 hours with my cfii, and didn't feel ready until maybe the last 3 or so. Safety pilot time wouldn't have helped me much. Some people find it easier, and some take more than 40, just like ppl. Also like ppl, if you can only fly once a week, it'll take longer and be harder a you forget things and skills degrade between lessons.

Back