Preparing for Checkride

shyampatel94

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Shyam Patel
All I need to work on is my oral, ground reference maneuvers, and stalls... I also have to build a couple more hours of solo time. Any tips? Hopefully I can complete my checkride before November 22nd. That is when I go home for thanksgiving break.

Carnegie Hall.

Plus find Cap'n Ron's classic Check Ride Advice posting.

Have you gotten a copy of ASA's Oral Prep Guide??

It's not perfect, but will give you a general idea of some questions that might be asked.

If you haven't done so already, get a copy of the PTS (can be downloaded from faa.gov) and ensure you're familiar with all the tasks in it.

Good luck!!

Work on your oral, ground reference maneuvers, and stalls. Do them solo if your instructor concurs.

What's your question?

No one here can substitute for your instructor.

Plus find Cap'n Ron's classic Check Ride Advice posting.

And just to spare you the effort, here it is!

1. Relax and enjoy it. Nationwide, about 90% of applicants pass on the first try, so look around and see if you think you’re as good as 9 out of 10 other students. Also, your instructor must maintain a pass rate of at least 80% to get his ticket renewed, so he’s not going to send you up unless he’s pretty darn sure you’ll pass – otherwise, he has to find four other people to pass to make up for you, and that’s not always easy.

2. Go over with your instructor the logbooks of the aircraft you're going to use the day BEFORE the checkride to make sure it's all in order (annual, transponder checks, ELT ops and battery, 100-hour if rented, etc.). If the airplane's paper busts, so do you. Run a sample W&B, too – get the examiner’s weight when you make the appointment. If you weigh 200, and so does the examiner, don’t show up with a C-152 with full tanks and a 350 lb available cabin load – examiners can’t waive max gross weight limits.

3. Relax.

4. Rest up and get a good night's sleep the night before. Don't stay up "cramming."

5. Relax.

6. Read carefully the ENTIRE PTS including all the introductory material. Use the checklist in the front to make sure you take all the stuff you need -- papers and equipment. And the examiner’s fee UP FRONT (too much chance a disgruntled applicant will refuse to pay afterward) in the form demanded by the examiner is a “required document” from a practical, if not FAA, standpoint.

7. Relax.

8. You’re going to make a big mistake somewhere. The examiner knows this will happen, and it doesn’t have to end the ride. What’s important is not whether you make a mistake, but how you deal with it – whether you recover and move on without letting it destroy your flying. Figure out where you are now, how to get to where you want to be, and then do what it takes to get there. That will save your checkride today and your butt later on.

9. Relax.

10. You're going to make some minor mistakes. Correct them yourself in a timely manner "so the outcome of the maneuver is never seriously in doubt" and you'll be OK. If you start to go high on your first steep turn and start a correction as you approach 100 feet high but top out at 110 high while making a smooth correction back to the requested altitude, don't sweat -- nail the next one and you'll pass with "flying colors" (a naval term, actually). If you see the maneuver will exceed parameters and not be smoothly recoverable, tell the examiner and knock it off before you go outside those parameters, and then re-initiate. That shows great sense, if not great skill, and judgement is the most critical item on the checkride.

11. Relax.

12. During the oral, you don’t have to answer from memory anything you’d have time to look up in reality. You never need to memorize and know everything. Categorize material as:

a. Things you must memorize (i.e. emergency procedures, radio calls, airspace, etc).
b. Things you must know or have reasonable understanding of (i.e. interpreting weather codes, non-critical regs).
c. Things you know about but can look up and will have time to look up on the ground.

(Thanks to Mark Bourdeaux for this categorization.) So if the examiner asks you about currency, it’s OK to open the FAR book to 61.56 and 61.57 and explain them to him. But make sure you know where the answer is without reading the whole FAR/AIM cover-to-cover. On the other hand, for stuff you’d have to know RIGHT NOW (e.g., best glide speed for engine failure, etc.), you’d best not stumble or stutter – know that stuff cold. Also, remember that the examiner will use the areas your knowledge test report says you missed as focus points in the oral, so study them extra thoroughly.

13. Relax.

14. Avoid this conversation:
Examiner - Q: Do you have a pencil?
Applicant - A: I have a #2, a mechanical, a red one...
Applicant - A: I also have an assortment of pens, and some highlighters...
Applicant - A: Yes.
Examiner - Thank you.
One of the hardest things to do when you’re nervous and pumped up is to shut up and answer the question. I've watched people talk themselves into a corner by incorrectly answering a question that was never asked, or by adding an incorrect appendix to the correct answer to the question that was. If the examiner wants more, he'll tell you.

15. Relax

16. Some questions are meant simply to test your knowledge, not your skill, even if they sound otherwise. If the examiner asks how far below the cloud deck you are, he is checking to see if you know the answer is “at least 500 feet,” not how good your depth perception is. He can’t tell any better than you can, and the only way to be sure is to climb up and see when you hit the bases, which for sure he won’t let you do.

17. Relax

18. Remember the first rule of Italian driving: "What's behind me is not important." Don't worry about how you did the last maneuver or question. If you didn't do it well enough, the examiner must notify you and terminate the checkride. If you are on the next one, forget the last one because it was good enough to pass. Focus on doing that next maneuver or answering the next question the best you can, because while it can still determine whether you pass or fail, the last one can’t anymore. If you get back to the office and he hasn't said you failed, smile to your friends as you walk in because you just passed.

19. Relax and enjoy your new license.

Ron Levy, ATP, CFI, Veteran of 11 license/rating checkrides, including 4 with FAA inspectors

My one piece of advice:

Make your study scenario based. Example: take random points along your flight plan route and ask yourself questions about that spot. What airspace is it? What instruments are required in that airspace? What altitude should we fly at? What's the speed limit here? Do we cross any airways? What airspace are those airways? High high does that airspace extend?

Studying this way serves two purposes: 1) your DPE will likely be asking you questions based on scenarios anyway and 2) it helps give the information more meaning and significance to you, thereby enhancing retention.

I DIDN'T study this way for mine. And once my DPE ask me to pull my chart out and show him the route I chose, it became apparent I should have studied that way. This is how a portion of the conversation went.

DPE: "Our departure airport here, KPIE, what airspace are we in?"
ME: "Class D airspace."
DPE: "And what's required to fly in this airspace?"
ME (without hesitation): "A two way radio. An altitude encoding transponder is NOT required in class D airspace."

WRONG! Rote memorization fails me here. I was right if we don't consider context. But where's KPIE? Smack dab in the middle of the KTPA mode C veil. Woops! Luckily, my DPE said "are you sure?" and after a few seconds I caught it.

Good luck.

Good checkride prep including a mock oral exam.

You do it with someone who is familiar with the DPE's style to include what you might expect from the minute you meet the examiner to when he hands you your temporary certificate. That person may or may not be your CFI.

Mike

Here are the things I wish I would have done before my checkride:

If your examiner is at a different airport than your home base (as in my case), make sure you get some solo work at that location.

If you have access to another instructor, have him give you a mock checkride. I know I was very comfortable with my instructor in the right seat, and that strange examiner telling me what to do was stressful. Having experience with different people in the right seat helps IMO.

Good Luck. Enjoy the flight.

Be sure you record the Oral, you never know what those dinosaur examiners will try and pull.:rolleyes: Kidding. Best thing you can do is find someone that took the same checkride with the same examiner recently buy them lunch and pump them for info. Examiners are human and have their favorite topics and set behaviors. And bleeping relax, it ain't that hard.

remember that the examiner wants to pass you. give him reasons to pass you. relax and eat a good breakfast before

Study the chart legend in depth like what those blocks on airport symbols represent and such. You won't get them all, but the DE won't expect you to know everything. As long as you can answer the first 2-3 questions in any line, you're doing fine. When you get to the question you can't answer, don't try to BS your way through it. The response they are looking for is "I'm not sure on that, I'd have to look in <name your proper reference here>." Know what is in each section of the POH in general so you aren't looking in the wrong section to find some information.

...as others have mentioned...if your CR is at another airport, do a couple XC's up there and scope it out. Get the scoop from others who have used the same DPE...they tend to be creature's of habit so diversions and such are pretty similar from ride to ride.

I went up twice and actually flew the route I planned on my XC so I knew exactly what I was looking for. I flew to both the airports he was known to divert to and just got a good sense of my surroundings there. Nothing worse than being on a checkride and seeing stuff for the first time.

Make sure you write down on your navlog the frequencies/runway info/pattern altitudes for the possible diversion airports. As soon as he says divert you want to be able to calculate (roughly) the direction you need to turn to and do it immediately before doing anything else. You can work out the specifics once you've made the turn.

I also flew with another CFI (who actually had just done 2 different rides with the same DPE) a couple days before. She gave me some good insight on a few things...nothing mind blowing, but the less surprises on the ride the better.

Can't stress enough how important it is to be prepared on the oral. It sets the tone for the entire ride. Everything will be scenario based to exercise your knowledge in a practical sense. Take your time to answer the questions if you need to - don't start talking immediately and don't try to BS. :) It's ok to say, "I'm not sure...but I know where to look it up". Do yourself a huge favor and use some post it notes or something to mark up your FAR/AIM - make it easy to get to stuff that you know you'll probably need to get to. For most questions, even the ones I fully knew the answers to, I'd get to the page while I was explaining my answer. My DPE liked that I knew how to quickly get to stuff in there.

Your DPE is your first passenger. I took the opportunity to at least mentally approach it as though I was flying with a passenger who was really interested in flying...perhaps even aspired to be a pilot...so he wanted to know everything I was doing. I just talked through it all as if I was explaining to him my actions. It calmed my nerves and talking through stuff out loud helps me with the 'checklist' stuff. For me at least, I tend to forget or miss less when I'm talking through it out loud.

Good luck!! Look forward to your write up!!

...and another thing...

During the oral, if the examiner is talking, for God's sake don't interrupt him!! Let him keep talking. This accomplishes two things...

1. He doing the oral for you, and...

2. You might actually learn something from him.

Without fail, I have learned something on each and every checkride I've taken.

Have you gotten a copy of ASA's Oral Prep Guide?? It's not perfect, but will give you a general idea of some questions that might be asked.
While there's a lot of good material in those "Oral Prep" books, the FAA guidance on practical tests no longer calls for those simple Q&A methods, but rather goes for "situationally based testing." For example, instead of asking you what the VFR weather mins are in Class E airspace, the examiner may ask you whether or not today's weather is good enough to make your planned XC flight under VFR, and how you came to that determination. This will test, in a more realistic manner, not only your rote knowledge of 91.155, but also your ability to apply that knowledge to a practical situation, not to mention your ability to read and interpret all the available weather data, as well as determining from the sectional what airspace you'll be in so you know which paragraph of 91.155 applies along each part of your route. Those old-style Q&A books can't prepare you for that -- only a good instructor familiar with the concept of situationally based testing can.

So, for an IR test, the examiner may look at your flight plan, and ask you why the Alternate block is blank -- and have you justify that answer based on the regs and the weather. Or, if there is an airport there, ask you why you needed to put it there, and how you know it qualifies as a legal alternate today, which requires reference to weather, regs, NOTAMs, and the Terminal Procedures book. This is very different from the old days where an examiner would simply ask you "What's the required weather at your destination to not file an alternate? Can you use this approach as an alternate? What are the standard alternate minimums? Are the alternate minimums at this airport nonstandard?" and makes you think and analyze, not just parrot.

Now, there are still a few old-school examiners who pull out the Oral Test Prep book and start asking questions from it, but they are getting much fewer and farther between. Your instructor should be familiar with the testing styles of the local examiners, so s/he should be able to help you prepare, and give you a practice oral that reasonably accurately reflects that style.

All I need to work on is my oral, ground reference maneuvers, and stalls... I also have to build a couple more hours of solo time. Any tips? Hopefully I can complete my checkride before November 22nd. That is when I go home for thanksgiving break.

1) Record the exam 2) Drink only rainwater and pure grain alcohol 3) Whenever the DPE asks you a question, repost it in real time on PoA.

2) Drink only rainwater and pure grain alcohol

:lol::lol: I watched that movie before my first solo XC....

Now for the OP: "I need to impress upon you the need for extreme watchfullness!"

Has anyone watched the king schools practical videos? Did they help any with the checkride?

Yes.

Some... but my DPE quickly caught on that I had used them to over prep and used some details as "bait" to hang me on a few topics...

Has anyone watched the king schools practical videos? Did they help any with the checkride?

I did. I did not think it was any help. There is so much that could be asked that their videos did not show. It really doesn't do much more than the free youtube videos in my opinion, other than actually show him flying. I just see the experience being different for everyone that it wont do more than show you what the whole experience is like in general.

Best thing that helped me was the IPAD practical test app by ASA. Get that app and have someone ask you the questions. It really makes you think like the examiner will expect.

I know that the oral is open book but will the examiner let you use the ASA private oral exam guide?

I know that the oral is open book but will the examiner let you use the ASA private oral exam guide?

I wouldn't exactly say "open book." And pulling out a study guide probably wouldn't be the most impressive thing. I'm not sure if he'd allow it or not, but I can't imagine it would leave a good impression.

About "open book." It's open book in certain situations. I asked if I could look up the regs about when you have to report what kind of accidents to the FAA. That was fine--I knew exactly where to look (I may or may not have memorized the page number...), and that impressed him. But when he asks what the best glide speed of your airplane is, you bet you had better know that answer without looking it up. Same with the VFR weather minimums etc. Basically, anything you'd need in the cockpit, you better know by heart. Otherwise, you can look it up, but you have to know where to look.

Talk to instructors and pilots who have taken the test from the DPE you are using. Pay an instructor to give you a practice oral exam ,I would use an examiner different from my regular instructor. By all means go do practice take off and landings at the airports the DPE likes to use. Know the chart you are using,don't let a symbol take you by surprise . Good luck.

I wouldn't exactly say "open book." And pulling out a study guide probably wouldn't be the most impressive thing. I'm not sure if he'd allow it or not, but I can't imagine it would leave a good impression.

About "open book." It's open book in certain situations. I asked if I could look up the regs about when you have to report what kind of accidents to the FAA. That was fine--I knew exactly where to look (I may or may not have memorized the page number...), and that impressed him. But when he asks what the best glide speed of your airplane is, you bet you had better know that answer without looking it up. Same with the VFR weather minimums etc. Basically, anything you'd need in the cockpit, you better know by heart. Otherwise, you can look it up, but you have to know where to look.
See Post #5, item 11, above, for more on this.

In any event, those "Oral Test Guides" aren't really worth much any more. While there's a lot of good material in those "Oral Prep" books, the FAA guidance on practical tests no longer calls for those simple Q&A methods, but rather goes for "situationally based testing." For example, instead of asking you what the VFR weather mins are in Class E airspace, the examiner may ask you whether or not today's weather is good enough to make your planned XC flight under VFR, and how you came to that determination. This will test, in a more realistic manner, not only your rote knowledge of 91.155, but also your ability to apply that knowledge to a practical situation, not to mention your ability to read and interpret all the available weather data, as well as determining from the sectional what airspace you'll be in so you know which paragraph of 91.155 applies along each part of your route. Those old-style Q&A books can't prepare you for that -- only a good instructor familiar with the concept of situationally based testing can.

So, for an IR test, the examiner may look at your flight plan, and ask you why the Alternate block is blank -- and have you justify that answer based on the regs and the weather. Or, if there is an airport there, ask you why you needed to put it there, and how you know it qualifies as a legal alternate today, which requires reference to weather, regs, NOTAMs, and the Terminal Procedures book. This is very different from the old days where an examiner would simply ask you "What's the required weather at your destination to not file an alternate? Can you use this approach as an alternate? What are the standard alternate minimums? Are the alternate minimums at this airport nonstandard?" and makes you think and analyze, not just parrot.

Now, there are still a few old-school examiners who pull out the Oral Test Prep book and start asking questions from it, but they are getting much fewer and farther between. Your instructor should be familiar with the testing styles of the local examiners, so s/he should be able to help you prepare, and give you a practice oral that reasonably accurately reflects that style.

No. You should be able to answer the first couple of questions in any line off the top of your head. When you get to a question you can't answer you can look in the appropriate official reference text; ie FAR/AIM, POH, Chart...

In a similar vein, you should be able to answer the first few questions he's going to give you right off the top of your head with no difficult. Someone else has almost certainly taken a ride with your DPE, so definitely get some intelligence before you go. Often they'll go over the maintenance/aircraft log stuff first, so make sure you have the answers to those questions down cold, and make sure the logs are all tabbed so you can easily find the relevant inspections.

First impressions, good and bad, are extremely difficult to shake off, so you may as well make it a good one.

In addition to the above, the good examiners will make the exam more of a scenario based conversation about the cross country trip you were asked to plan.

So rather than a punchlist Q&A "Okay, you are in a class Delta space, describe that, and tell me everything about Class D's" questions, you will be guided to tell him about the flight and the particular details you are required to know as you pass through different areas or phases of flight.

As stated many a time, one of the best preparation tools is to do a mock exam with a senior CFI other than yours who is very knowledgeable on the DPE's style. Let this be the place where you find the places that need improvement and the place where you get past your nerves.

...As stated many a time, one of the best preparation tools is to do a mock exam with a senior CFI other than yours who is very knowledgeable on the DPE's style. Let this be the place where you find the places that need improvement and the place where you get past your nerves.

:yeahthat:

Mike

Back