Preparing for AME visit

AdamZ

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Adam Zucker
Bruce: I have my medical renewal coming up in several months and have scheduled my annual physical with my family doc and my every 2 year appt with my Opthomologist before I am due for my appointment with the AME.

Are there any forms I should bring to either my Family doc or Opthomologist for them to fill out to make my visit with the AME go smoother or negate the need for him to do certain tests?

Note: I currently have a class III medical only b/c AME said couldn't give me a class II b/c of eyesight. I think I'd like to shoot for a Class II. I don't' wear glasses and my Opthomologist said I really don't need to. He said he could give me an Rx for glasses but my eyesight was not really that bad at all and said it was my choice. He said my left eye was perfect and my right was off a bit. When I look with both eyes open I see fine no problem I only notice a small issue if I cover my left eye an look out my right. I have an O.D. friend who said the Rx the Opthomologist wrote was minimal at the most.

Thanks for the advice.

AdamZ said:
Bruce: I have my medical renewal coming up in several months and have scheduled my annual physical with my family doc and my every 2 year appt with my Opthomologist before I am due for my appointment with the AME.

Are there any forms I should bring to either my Family doc or Opthomologist for them to fill out to make my visit with the AME go smoother or negate the need for him to do certain tests?

Note: I currently have a class III medical only b/c AME said couldn't give me a class II b/c of eyesight. I think I'd like to shoot for a Class II. I don't' wear glasses and my Opthomologist said I really don't need to. He said he could give me an Rx for glasses but my eyesight was not really that bad at all and said it was my choice. He said my left eye was perfect and my right was off a bit. When I look with both eyes open I see fine no problem I only notice a small issue if I cover my left eye an look out my right. I have an O.D. friend who said the Rx the Opthomologist wrote was minimal at the most.

Thanks for the advice.

WoW, I thought this was about how to study for a pi-- test. :)

Adam, standards (and they are JUST THAT) for class II are 20/20 corrected at 18 inches, 32 inches, and 20 feet. They don't care how you get the correction short of one near/one far contact which is prohibited. You will be certified with whatever combination of correctives it takes for you to pass that.

If you take an 8500-7 to the opthalmologist within 90 days prior and he says you are all of the above, you're good to go.

AME offices frequently dont' have the correct light to do even lowly Snellen acuity testing properly....

Bruce: I checked out the 8500-7 form and it asks a heck of a lot of quetions regarding tests my AME has never preformed. The only vision tests my AME performed were the Eye Chart ( I assume that is visual accuity) and a colorblindness test.

My question is can I have my opthamologist fill out only the visual accuity section of the 8500-7 and present then present the form to my AME without the rest of the info filled there in? I don't have any eye problems.

AdamZ said:
Bruce: I checked out the 8500-7 form and it asks a heck of a lot of quetions regarding tests my AME has never preformed. The only vision tests my AME performed were the Eye Chart ( I assume that is visual accuity) and a colorblindness test.

My question is can I have my opthamologist fill out only the visual accuity section of the 8500-7 and present then present the form to my AME without the rest of the info filled there in? I don't have any eye problems.
Yes you can, but while you're there, you might as well get your $$s worth. :)
Bruce

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back