Prep for first medical

U

Unregistered

I'm a student pilot and didn't think much of it when my CFI asked at the beginning if I was healthy enough to get a medical certificate. I thought it wasn't a big deal. After spending some time reading the archives of this forum, I've just about driven myself nuts with worry. It seems like stubbing your toe can disqualify you! I'd really appreciate some advice on a few topics. I am not trying to lie, cheat, dance around the head of a pin, or avail myself of any other legal nuance, but at the same time, I don't want to end up deferred (or worse) over something I'm not required to report.

I'm OK up to question 17. For question 17, I am not currently on any prescribed medication. I take Advil occasionally for muscle pain. I take whatever OTC allergy medicine is handy, whenever I have a pollen allergy flare up. I haven't taken any allergy medicine in the last 3-4 months. It's hard for me to pin an exact date on when I last took it because they are really just nuisance allergies and the reasonable thing to do seems to be to take an allergy pill. I know that I have, at one point in my life, had a Zyrtec prescription, but I don't currently use it. Do I need to report either of these? I don't know if "currently use" means "take on a regular schedule", or "if you ever take Advil when you ache from playing too much golf". If I do need to report these, should I just put down my best guess at the last date that I took an OTC allergy medicine?

In section 18, I was diagnosed about 25 years ago (as a kid) with exercise induced asthma. I had an inhaler (which made me really popular with all the girls). I grew out of it by the time I graduated from high school. I will tick 'yes' to asthma, but will I need to provide any special documentation, or will the AME take my word for it? I haven't been evaluated for asthma in 20 years, so I don't know how to disprove a negative. I have no possible way to get the medical records from back then to show it resolved - I have no idea who the family doctor was back then, and both my parents are deceased, so I have nobody to ask.

Then for the famous arrest/conviction section.

First, I had my driver's license suspended for failure to pay a speeding ticket. This was about 20 years ago. To be honest, I don't even remember what state I was in when I received the ticket - it was not in my state of residence. I got a notice from my home state that they were suspending my license on the request of "state x" and that I would be reinstated when I took care of my business with them. I paid the ticket to state x by mail, and then took their proof of payment to my home state DMV, and had my license reinstated. I have not had any suspensions or revocations since. I will obviously tick 'yes' for this question and explain, but will this require me to submit any additional documentation?

Second, 13 years ago I was cited for a violation of a town ordinance (violation of a noise ordinance for hosting a loud party). I missed my court date, and there was a bench warrant issued. I was arrested, and then finally at trial, the charge was Nolle Prosequi (the prosecutor declined to prosecute the case and the charges were dropped). I'm assuming that since this did not have anything to do with alcohol, intoxicants, or driving privileges, an educational or rehab program, I don't need to disclose this under the first question; and since it did not result in a conviction, I'm clear of the second question.

Finally, I don't see my doctor for regular physicals (I know, I know) - The last time I was at the doctor was over a year ago (for bronchitis) and before that I honestly can't say - they had to treat me as a new patient when I went in for my bronchitis exam - I wasn't in their files any more. So I guess it would be prudent to go get a regular physical before the visit to the AME...

Thanks for any advice you can give.

I believe you're doing all the right things in terms of what to check. Bruce will be along later to tell you what documentation you may need regarding the arrest and suspension, but my guess is they won't be issues.

I'm a student pilot and didn't think much of it when my CFI asked at the beginning if I was healthy enough to get a medical certificate. I thought it wasn't a big deal. After spending some time reading the archives of this forum, I've just about driven myself nuts with worry. It seems like stubbing your toe can disqualify you! I'd really appreciate some advice on a few topics. I am not trying to lie, cheat, dance around the head of a pin, or avail myself of any other legal nuance, but at the same time, I don't want to end up deferred (or worse) over something I'm not required to report.

I'm OK up to question 17. For question 17, I am not currently on any prescribed medication. I take Advil occasionally for muscle pain. I take whatever OTC allergy medicine is handy, whenever I have a pollen allergy flare up. I haven't taken any allergy medicine in the last 3-4 months. It's hard for me to pin an exact date on when I last took it because they are really just nuisance allergies and the reasonable thing to do seems to be to take an allergy pill. I know that I have, at one point in my life, had a Zyrtec prescription, but I don't currently use it. Do I need to report either of these? I don't know if "currently use" means "take on a regular schedule", or "if you ever take Advil when you ache from playing too much golf". If I do need to report these, should I just put down my best guess at the last date that I took an OTC allergy medicine?
You're on no regular meds, so don't indicate any meds.
In section 18, I was diagnosed about 25 years ago (as a kid) with exercise induced asthma. I had an inhaler (which made me really popular with all the girls). I grew out of it by the time I graduated from high school. I will tick 'yes' to asthma, but will I need to provide any special documentation, or will the AME take my word for it? I haven't been evaluated for asthma in 20 years, so I don't know how to disprove a negative. I have no possible way to get the medical records from back then to show it resolved - I have no idea who the family doctor was back then, and both my parents are deceased, so I have nobody to ask.
Explanation: " Asthma as a child, no meds or episodes for 20 years" will result in an AME yawn.
Then for the famous arrest/conviction section.

First, I had my driver's license suspended for failure to pay a speeding ticket. This was about 20 years ago. To be honest, I don't even remember what state I was in when I received the ticket - it was not in my state of residence. I got a notice from my home state that they were suspending my license on the request of "state x" and that I would be reinstated when I took care of my business with them. I paid the ticket to state x by mail, and then took their proof of payment to my home state DMV, and had my license reinstated. I have not had any suspensions or revocations since. I will obviously tick 'yes' for this question and explain, but will this require me to submit any additional documentation?

Second, 13 years ago I was cited for a violation of a town ordinance (violation of a noise ordinance for hosting a loud party). I missed my court date, and there was a bench warrant issued. I was arrested, and then finally at trial, the charge was Nolle Prosequi (the prosecutor declined to prosecute the case and the charges were dropped). I'm assuming that since this did not have anything to do with alcohol, intoxicants, or driving privileges, an educational or rehab program, I don't need to disclose this under the first question; and since it did not result in a conviction, I'm clear of the second question.
For these the first of these two, just bring a DL search (or two if you need two states) covering the last 10 years of your residence state. The AME will then know that you even if it were something, there has been nothing for 10 years. for misdemeanors/felonies, 18W remains "no".
Finally, I don't see my doctor for regular physicals (I know, I know) - The last time I was at the doctor was over a year ago (for bronchitis) and before that I honestly can't say - they had to treat me as a new patient when I went in for my bronchitis exam - I wasn't in their files any more. So I guess it would be prudent to go get a regular physical before the visit to the AME...
Generally true. "routine wellness care" item 19,
Thanks for any advice you can give.
:)

:hairraise: <SHOCKED LOOK> :hairraise:

:yikes: No! It cannot be! :yikes:

A student airman who has done his homework ahead of time and is owning his medical right out of the gate???

It's not December 21 already is it?!?

(Now where was that sarcasm smiley AdamZ promised us?)

"I am shocked. Simply shocked". :) :) :)

OP again... So I am one of your secret Santas. :D

Thanks for the quick and precise responses Dr. B. Not only are they quick and simple, they are exactly what I wanted to hear! :) Honestly, you are a tremendous resource for this site, and add mine to the chorus of "Thank You"s for your dedication to helping pilots fly.

Reading this particular forum in too much depth can put a medical dunce like me in a tizzy. So many discussions of documentation of this and special testing for that... I'm getting out of here now!

But before I do, one more follow up question. For the 10 year driving history, can I simply order the standard driving record from my state DMV, or is there something special I should get? Does it need to be certified? (My state charges substantially more, and takes substantially longer to deliver a certified copy, vs. a simple printout.)

Thanks again!

Another source for driving records might be your insurance company. When we are screening delivery driver candidates, we can get a quick review over the phone. So perhaps you can get a printed copy emailed.

OP again... So I am one of your secret Santas. :D

Thanks for the quick and precise responses Dr. B. Not only are they quick and simple, they are exactly what I wanted to hear! :) Honestly, you are a tremendous resource for this site, and add mine to the chorus of "Thank You"s for your dedication to helping pilots fly.

Reading this particular forum in too much depth can put a medical dunce like me in a tizzy. So many discussions of documentation of this and special testing for that... I'm getting out of here now!

But before I do, one more follow up question. For the 10 year driving history, can I simply order the standard driving record from my state DMV, or is there something special I should get? Does it need to be certified? (My state charges substantially more, and takes substantially longer to deliver a certified copy, vs. a simple printout.)

Thanks again!
Since you do NOT have a DUI on your record, a simple search that is obtained at the DL bureau should do the job. But you need 10 years. If you have only lived in your state say, 4 years, you need to also inquire at the preceeding state, etc so you have 10 covered.

Then the AME will see, that even if his is wrong, and you aren't being fortcoming, there isn't much difference in outcome- he can still issue you. Thus, what should be a yawn becomes a snore.

Thread from the Dead...

Just a quick update. I'm the original Unreg. I had the medical scheduled for Feb, but the doctor had to reschedule. Then I had it in March, and I had to reschedule. Finally, earlier this week, I headed to the AME office and had my exam.

It was a total non-event. The asthma produced the expected yawn, and the driving thing he couldn't care less about as long as "it had nothing to do with alcohol". I had pulled my DMV record (biggest waste of $10 bucks ever), but he didn't need it, he took me at my word.

I had a little trouble with my blood pressure... it's usually perfectly normal, but it spikes up quite a bit when I am nervous or stressed. I was running late for the appointment, so I was stressed, and I was nervous about the exam, so predictably, the first couple times the nurse took it, it was high. The Doctor suggested trying again at the end of the exam, and by that time it had, again predictably, dropped to normal.

So, I guess it's official... I'm a student pilot!

Thanks a ton to Dr. Bruce, Ron, and Mike for their help in this thread.

I had a little trouble with my blood pressure...

I recently got checked out by a doctor on campus, and he also said I have high blood pressure.

In any case, you're good for five years!...or two...depends :)

Thread from the Dead...

Just a quick update. I'm the original Unreg. I had the medical scheduled for Feb, but the doctor had to reschedule. Then I had it in March, and I had to reschedule. Finally, earlier this week, I headed to the AME office and had my exam.

It was a total non-event. The asthma produced the expected yawn, and the driving thing he couldn't care less about as long as "it had nothing to do with alcohol". I had pulled my DMV record (biggest waste of $10 bucks ever), but he didn't need it, he took me at my word.

I had a little trouble with my blood pressure... it's usually perfectly normal, but it spikes up quite a bit when I am nervous or stressed. I was running late for the appointment, so I was stressed, and I was nervous about the exam, so predictably, the first couple times the nurse took it, it was high. The Doctor suggested trying again at the end of the exam, and by that time it had, again predictably, dropped to normal.

Thanks a ton to Dr. Bruce, Ron, and Mike for their help in this thread.

Not to burst your bubble, but Oklahoma Feds will still need to review the application and information on the form. The DR. doing the physical could care less, the DR's in OK have the final say. Having said that, there is no reason to worry.

Been there, done that. My AME has an extremely cute little Latino nurse. After 3 tries she had the doc do it. No problem then....

Not to burst your bubble, but Oklahoma Feds will still need to review the application and information on the form. The DR. doing the physical could care less, the DR's in OK have the final say. Having said that, there is no reason to worry.

What he said. Good idea to keep ALL the gathered records (originals and a photocopy) in a safe place. You never know what might be asked for or when. You might never need to send it in. But if they do formally request it, the count down clock started when they sealed the envelop and you're 3-4 days in by the time you get it. Being ready to not chase about reacquiring the papers gives you more points toward the "own your medical" gold star.

I read on the medical certificate that the AME printed out for me the following:

"The issuance of a medical certificate by an AME may be reversed by the FAA within 60 days."

When I first saw this, I figured it meant that they do some kind of spot checks. Do they actually review every application that comes in the door?

I read on the medical certificate that the AME printed out for me the following:

"The issuance of a medical certificate by an AME may be reversed by the FAA within 60 days."

The doc's can give the specifics, but it also means that if you have a medical issue within 60 days of issuance, they can simply reverse the issuance as opposed to taking other actions to ground you. A friend of mine had his plane crash on departure and he was injured; sure enough, it was within 60 days and they reversed his issuance.

Now, in that case, was that the same as a denial?

When I first saw this, I figured it meant that they do some kind of spot checks. Do they actually review every application that comes in the door?
That is why for the ones on the borderline, I call and get a medical officer on board on record before issueing. That way, if someone doesn't like what I did, they have to roll over their own guy before they get to us....

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back