Premier 1 bird strike.....

Had no idea that a Pelican could do that much damage with a strike to the wing root. I’m thinking it had to penetrate the wing root kin, some misc hardware and then damage the wing spar beyond repair.

...and I’ve already earned a goose and a deer sticker

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Mayne... Where have you been? That was a few months ago! Old news at this point.

Not a lot of parts for the Premiers. There is no factory support and parts are getting scarce. Jack Roush bought back his wrecked one for a parts plane for his current Premier.

Wonder why no picture. This is too good a story to not have photos.

You guys seeing pics of damage on that link? None come through for me.

I think the pictures are in the printed magazine (I thought I saw one somewhere, too lazy to look.)

I think the pictures are in the printed magazine (I thought I saw one somewhere, too lazy to look.)

Yeah, in the mag. Someone was taking video out the window and they have 3 pics of the bird striking the wing.

That's actually from the previous issue in the OP now that I look at the link. In the current issue and when they post it online they'll have the bird strike pics.

Dick Karl is in way over his head with that plane but I like it!

https://www.flyingmag.com/boys-trip-to-new-orleans-is-interrupted-by-bird-strike

8-10lb pelican struck right wing. Bad day for all concerned. Wing damage extensive spar damaged beyond repair, possible wing replacement required. If they can't find wing plane may be totaled by insurance.....sad deal.
It was a brown pelican that took down a B-1B in Colorado, 1987. I think it was a bit bigger, 20-40#,but when it impacts at 540ktas or better, hits hydraulic lines, and ignited a fire, it does a ton of damage.

It was a brown pelican that took down a B-1B in Colorado, 1987. I think it was a bit bigger, 20-40#,but when it impacts at 540ktas or better, hits hydraulic lines, and ignited a fire, it does a ton of damage.

A Brown Pelican in Colorado??? :rolleyes:

A pelican took down a Citation some years back. This happened during climbout from Wiley Post in Oklahoma City.

Dick Karl is in way over his head with that plane but I like it!
Just curious why you say he’s over his head? I think he’s an ATP and typed in a 737, Citation Jet and of course the Premier. Seems like he’s a fairly cautious flyer, but that may be the way he writes.

Just curious why you say he’s over his head? I think he’s an ATP and typed in a 737, Citation Jet and of course the Premier. Seems like he’s a fairly cautious flyer, but that may be the way he writes.

I don’t doubt his capability to operate the aircraft safely as PIC despite the initial challenges he encountered with the type rating.

It’s the buckets of duckets required that make me wonder how long it’s sustainable.

Then again, I’m not aware of how big his wallet is or whether he’s got the Premier on a certificate somewhere generating income to offset some of the expenses.

Financially, not skill wise. He bought a plane that he’s talked about several times, was at the limit of his budget. Even his latest article, he again expresses concern over buying a rare, expensive jet where parts are hard to come by. Reminds me of my ups and downs of trying to keep 2 EABs flying with limited parts available. Something I can relate to.

Financially, not skill wise. He bought a plane that he’s talked about several times, was at the limit of his budget. Even his latest article, he again expresses concern over buying a rare, expensive jet where parts are hard to come by. Reminds me of my ups and downs of trying to keep 2 EABs flying with limited parts available. Something I can relate to.
I understand, I thought you meant his flying skills. He might have been happier with a CJ of some kind, at least you can access all the expensive parts!! :) My current dream is a 501 with the Williams conversion! But, it will remain a dream, like the cute girl at the grocery store! :D:D

Too bad there are no pics.. that would have helped tie the story together, especially since they mentioned in the article how impressive the damage was. Otherwise I'm just reading about some plastic surgeons and lawyers have a champagne fest after trying to fly their private jet

Oh well. Flying Mag is losing me. The COPA and EAA mags are a better read, at least the last few issues. I liked Lunken and Garrison's stuff though

Flying is very expensive, and many of us do well, if not extremely well, but theres something elitist about that article.. the best signs of wealth are those who dont have to mention it.. I could have done without the "I don't just let anyone be my friend, you have to be a lawyer or *plastic* surgeon".. "privelege of flying right seat", "you have to look good on paper" etc. Sorry to be a negative Nancy, but that could have been a cool story about a bird strike encounter.. instead it was an excuse to gloat

I understand, I thought you meant his flying skills. He might have been happier with a CJ of some kind, at least you can access all the expensive parts!! :) My current dream is a 501 with the Williams conversion! But, it will remain a dream, like the cute girl at the grocery store! :D:D

Yeah, unless he got an awesome deal in the Premier, I would’ve gone with either an old CJ or even a 501 with a Stallion conversion.

Didn’t you used to own a 501? 425 that much cheaper to operate?

Too bad there are no pics.. that would have helped tie the story together, especially since they mentioned in the article how impressive the damage was. Otherwise I'm just reading about some plastic surgeons and lawyers have a champagne fest after trying to fly their private jet

Oh well. Flying Mag is losing me. The COPA and EAA mags are a better read, at least the last few issues. I liked Lunken and Garrison's stuff though

Flying is very expensive, and many of us do well, if not extremely well, but theres something elitist about that article.. the best signs of wealth are those who dont have to mention it.. I could have done without the "I don't just let anyone be my friend, you have to be a lawyer or *plastic* surgeon".. "privelege of flying right seat", "you have to look good on paper" etc. Sorry to be a negative Nancy, but that could have been a cool story about a bird strike encounter.. instead it was an excuse to gloat

Yep, I couldn't agree more!

Yeah, unless he got an awesome deal in the Premier, I would’ve gone with either an old CJ or even a 501 with a Stallion conversion.

Didn’t you used to own a 501? 425 that much cheaper to operate?
I had a 551 for 7 years, sold it in April 2007, just before the economy tanked! My usual trip is Atlanta to Destin, about 240 nm, the Citation burned 170 or so gallons each way, the 425 burns between 75-85 gallons and adds about 15 minutes. But the maintenance costs are a good bit lower as well, I changed shops after I sold the 551 and I am glad I did it then. If I had been using my current shop, I might have held on to the 551 another year and lost my butt, even more!!!

POA doesn't have the convention that Beechtalk does where you use green text when kidding. So I have to ask: Are you serious?
Yes, look up B-1B bird strike accident, Sept 1987, LaJunta Colorado, LA Times has a good article dated 21 Jan 1988. They were my Squadron members.

There are pics. Just not in the story posted. They're in the follow up article in the latest issue which hasn't been posted online yet.

There are pics. Just not in the story posted
We got pics of other stuff. I mean, this is Flying Mag, not Travel and Leisure or Luxist.. which are far classier portrayals of wealth than what this was. Compare this to Richard Collins, Peter Garrison, Martha Lunken, etc., Les, Block..

I don't know.. just left a bad taste in my mouth.. wasn't about flying, it was about "look at me!!!!!!!!!"

Yes, look up B-1B bird strike accident, Sept 1987, LaJunta Colorado, LA Times has a good article dated 21 Jan 1988. They were my Squadron members.

That was a white pelican. I would be willing to bet there's never been a BROWN Pelican in Colorado as that would be about 500nm from their nearest habitat. They simply do not get too far from water.

Someone put a hold on posting pics of that birdstrike, nothing; zero online for days afterwards.
It's odd. But I do respect that people will honor such a request.

That was a white pelican. I would be willing to bet there's never been a BROWN Pelican in Colorado as that would be about 500nm from their nearest habitat. They simply do not get too far from water.

I see Brown pelicans scattered all over North Texas.

We got pics of other stuff. I mean, this is Flying Mag, not Travel and Leisure or Luxist.. which are far classier portrayals of wealth than what this was. Compare this to Richard Collins, Peter Garrison, Martha Lunken, etc., Les, Block..

I don't know.. just left a bad taste in my mouth.. wasn't about flying, it was about "look at me!!!!!!!!!"

Having read the follow up article for the 2nd time I have to say I’m loving it all from a ‘Flying column’ perspective. It’s tough watching this aging aviator realize his dreams and struggle with the limits of them. Being just a decade behind, the focus on QTR (Quality Time Remaining) really hits home.

To the extent he’s boasting of his success in life, so what. No different than boasting of one’s plane or flying skills or ‘luck’. He’s earned what he has as if that makes any difference. I would say the same if he was just a well off trust fund baby.

The struggle is the same no matter where you operate in aviation and aircraft ownership. On one hand it’s how great this plane and the things I do in it is. On the other it’s woe on me, the maintenance and cost and difficulty of finding belly pans for my WWII Mosquito.

In the end we’re all sitting on top of 2,000 years of western civilization and by accident of birth, we’re all winning.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

To the extent he’s boasting of his success in life, so what.
Thanks. But he's not boasting about his success, he wants you, and his friends, to know that he is better than you, and better than his friends

Wealth is great, and being proud of your success is fine, hell I love it. I've had the luxury of experiencing and doing things many my age don't get to do, and I have some very well to do family and friends. But whether someone looks "good on paper" is not my litmus test as to if they'll be my friend or not. Someday when I'm cruising around in my 650 (okay fine, PC24) I won't go out of my way to keep reiterating how rich I am over and over. I'll pepper in a few subtle things, like a picture of my wrist adjusting the heading nob, with just a peak of a Breitling watch, or have just part of my Koeniksegg in the corner of one of the photos of the bird damage, but I'd keep the story focused on flying did I declare, was there a Pan Pan issued, did I adjust my landing approach or flare at all, did I tell tower? There is something very classy about stealth wealth. I could have done with more about the flying and the actual ADM, and less about his champagne overtures..

But that's just me, and I don't have to like him (when he had the Cheyenne it was still there, but not nearly as bad and his articles were still primarily about flying and maintaining a turboprop), or enjoy his articles, heck, no one forces me to read the magazine.. my critique was purely an observational one about what the story was lacking. If other people like hearing about his good on paper looking (but messy in real life) friends, then more power to them. Funny, people knock Cirrus about the whole rich guy thing, but the COPA magazine and Cirrus owners tend to be some of the most down to Earth and just good dudes to hang out with.. their wealth is just another thing about them, like their favorite color or food

Since you got me on a roll, some of my favorite /s quotes:
  • "We are plastic surgeons and lawyers, one former NFL player, and airline captains. We still look good on paper"
    • Why does it matter what your friends do? And why is surgeon not enough, it has to be "plastic" surgeon. Pro sports is not enough, it has to be NFL. How is that relevant in any way to the story in the article? Is that really how you decide who is worthy of your presence and friendship, based on their occupations? Sure I've name dropped on occasion, but it's relevant to the situation
  • "To become a member, you must be a man who looks good on paper"
    • It just so happens that most, if not all, of our friends have masters and doctorates in something.. sister is a Harvard educated corporate tax lawyer and the other is a surgeon.. but when I introduce my friends to people that doesn't even come up.. unless it somehow becomes relevant "oh, you work at X, you may know this person"
  • "Tom, the American Airlines captain, was awarded the right seat; either Jason (JetBlue) or Andy (Atlas) was going to get the privilege on the way home"
    • "Awarded" and "privelege" ?? - get over yourself man.. your flying a $2M jet that's been out of production for 5 years built by a company that no longer exists and has a terrible support network. Plus, you know just about every pilot would be giddy at the chance to be in the front of a turbine powered plane.. how about just "Tom flew right seat on the way there and Andy on the way back" - it's already a given and assumed that this is a big deal.. no need to keep driving that home. It's not enough to show up in the Ferrari, you have to say "hey, did you guys see my Ferrari?" Half the homes out here are well over $2M.. but you don't hear people saying "I invited Jim over to my house for the privilege of seeing my home. I awarded him with a meal I cooked on our Wolf range and baked him a cake from our Gaggenau oven, I then opened the Dom and had several bottles. We then put our Vilbrequins on. Me and the NBA player went to the Sauna. Dan Bilzerian joined us for some more drinks, oh, did I mention I know the Clintons, yeah, I do. No they didn't come over, but I know them" <- JC, can you imagine trying to have a beer with someone like that?
  • "I asked the pilots to inform the nonpilot passengers."
    • I mean, you're all friends, right? "Hey Plasting surgeons and NFL players, we have to land we hit a bird" .. I think we've all jokingly said "tray tables up" to our passengers before landing.. but seriously? Even within his friends there is a hierarchy
  • "We went into the FBO and opened the Champagne"
    • OK! So f*cking cool man!!
  • "The two bottles of Champagne disappeared."
    • Wow, okay, these guys really like champagne. And champagne, really? I'd have had the Lagunitas going or the Scotch.. outside of some women and weddings, do people actually like champagne?
  • "The volume (liters) of alcohol consumption and the volume (decibels) of the gaiety"
    • Read: we got drunk, look how cool I am. Did you see how drunk I got? Did I mention we drank a lot?
  • references to "messy in real life"
    • Even though we're divorced and careless, we are still better than you. We still managed IVY league creds and made it very far in life, even though we're a complete mess. You guys, you all worked really hard and your life is not a mess, but you are toiling away in your pathetic $70K / yr job and happy if you can rent that beater Cherokee once a month for an hour. You're the person on the ITT Tech commercials

Back