Pregabalin (Lyrica) for Nerve Pain

P

Pain in the...

I have a nerve issue causing serious pain from my hip to my foot. The doctor prescribed a muscle relaxer (Cyclobenzaprine) and Pregabalin. He said to try one, and if it didn't help, try the other. I've used the Cyclobenzaprine for a few days and it doesn't seem to have much effect. I see on the AOPA website that Pregabalin is not allowed; I assume because it is also used to control seizures.

I'm not currently flying, but want to destroy my chance to get back in the air in the future. What's the best course of action?

Lyrica is one nasty nasty drug. Worked VERY well for my wife after radiation for a brain tumor damaged some nerves. It relieved the pain and kept the spasms under control but as the years went on, the side effects kept piling up and showing up looking like yet another SERIOUS medical condition, unrelated to anything we suspected - Angiogram for phantom EKG anomolies, full breathing tests for shortness of breath, circulatory workups for unexplained severe leg swelling, headaches/migraines, optical migraines, falling (neurologic syncope - mini fainting spells) and a whole raft of other things that escape my memory now.
Weaning off the Lyrica took nearly a year with a controlled dosage reduction. There's Lyrica Survivor (might be a bit dramatic sounding but not to her) discussion groups online.

I have a nerve issue causing serious pain from my hip to my foot. The doctor prescribed a muscle relaxer (Cyclobenzaprine) and Pregabalin. He said to try one, and if it didn't help, try the other. I've used the Cyclobenzaprine for a few days and it doesn't seem to have much effect. I see on the AOPA website that Pregabalin is not allowed; I assume because it is also used to control seizures.

I'm not currently flying, but want to destroy my chance to get back in the air in the future. What's the best course of action?
The best course of action is to find a classical pilates instructor. And no, this isn't a joke.

If flying is your primo concern, you check the meds before filling them from any doctor.

Last edited:
If flying is your primo concern, check medications before accepting them from any doctor. Ask for FAA acceptable meds.
My doc wouldn't know an FAA allowable med from aspirin. I do my own lookup before accepting the prescription. Had a doctor want to prescribe me a tricyclic for globus a few years back. Nipped that one in a hurry.

The best course of action is to find a classical pilates instructor. And no, this isn't a joke.

I have to agree. I know quite a few people who got relief from all kinds of pain problems that way. It's certainly something I'd try before using powerful, potentially neurotoxic drugs.

I also do some occasional Web work for a Pilates instructor, and she's the real deal. She's a very, very smart woman who frequently works with physicians to come up with treatment strategies for problems that have defied more conventional solutions.

It's certainly worth a try, in my opinion. It's certainly what I'd try.

Rich

Have you tried any stretching exercises for the hip area? Also going to a massage therapist who will do a stretch of the hips and legs may help.

I have to agree. I know quite a few people who got relief from all kinds of pain problems that way. It's certainly something I'd try before using powerful, potentially neurotoxic drugs.

I also do some occasional Web work for a Pilates instructor, and she's the real deal. She's a very, very smart woman who frequently works with physicians to come up with treatment strategies for problems that have defied more conventional solutions.

It's certainly worth a try, in my opinion. It's certainly what I'd try.

Rich
People generally think I'm kidding when I say that. In my mid-30's I could barely walk across the street before doubling over in back pain. Ten years later I play golf. If you can find a second-generation classical Pilates instructor they can help you. My girlfriend is one and probably 1/3 of her clients are physicians. Thanks for the endorsement, Rich.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back