Preferred Libations

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
What are the contents of a well-stocked bar for a typical informal party (its next weekend). Attendees are everyone from cowboy to attorney
I asked the caterer and they said;

Mixes:
Margarita Mix
Sweet & Sour Mix
Triple Sec
Bloody Mary Mix

Liquor:
Whiskey
Rum
Tequila
Vodka

Beer (only 2)
Coors light
Heineken

Wine (3)
Wine white
Merlot
Chardonnet

Soft Drinks
Coke
Ginger Ale
Diet Coke

I'd add some champagne and a local microbrew beer to that. Otherwise, it looks sufficient to get attorneys drunk to me :)

Jim G

Arggh. I was in this industry for 16 years and out of it for twelve, so I have no idea what sorts of things people are drinking nowadays. But I would have to say your bar isn't "well stocked" with that list, only "bare bones".

In my opinion, you would need to add a few things for a well-stocked basic bar.

First off, if you can afford it (and want to) you may want to break out the "whiskey" into something less generic:

Mixing whiskey, for mixed drinks of course (Seagrams 7 or private label brand)

Tennessee whiskey or bourbon such as Jack Daniels or Wild Turkey (you only need a bottle or two of that, depending on number of people)

Brandy--halfway decent. Christian Bros. made a decent one if I recall, won't hurt you wallet too much. You can upgrade to a French cognac VS or VSOP if you want.

And one or two bottles of a halfway decent Scotch. (Dewars or Johnny Red will do.)

For the record, Triple Sec isn't a "mixer" per se, but a liqueur in its own right.

And they forgot to add the sweet and dry vermouth. You generally use more dry vermouth (martinis and such) than sweet (manhattans or rob roys, if anyone still drinks those).

Add some light beer and you'll be OK with the beer. Microbrew is nice (Red Hook ESB!) but if no one appreciates them you'll be wasting your money unless you can return them.

As for mixers/soft drinks, add:

Tonic (regular and sugar free)
Coke (regular and sugar free)
Seven Up (ditto)
Seltzer water/club soda/sparkling water
Orange Juice/Cranberry Juice
Some spring water or other bottled water if your tap water is awful.

Maraschino cherries, lemons, limes, oranges, olives, cocktail onions, stirrers, and napkins.

And the worst thing you could run out of--next to sufficient mixers--is ice. We used to figure 1 pound of ice per person per hour.

Hope that helps somewhat. I'm a bit rusty. Your liquor store may have a return policy that allows you to return unopened and undamaged bottles for credit (we did). Tell your bartender NOT to crack open anything until someone asks for it, and you'll be fine. Often a bartender will prep the bar by opening one of each type and putting in the pourer gizmo--waste of $ for you if no one wants a particular spirit.)

Terry

Since I like sweet drinks, the following would be my choices:

Southern Comfort Manhattans
Raspberry Margaritas
Lambrusco ( my wine of choice although my friends have been known to call it alcoholic kool-aid)

Mixers - Why?

I also have been known to drink shots of Tequila, Patrone is my favorite.

I seldom drink beer but when I do it's usually Bud light.

Jeannie

Last edited:
Yeah--see, knew I forgot something! Southern comfort and gin!

LOL!! Rusty. (Thank goodness.)

Terry

We like Captain Morgan's Parrot Bay rum, Southern Comfort, Sam Adams Light beer, and caffeine free Mountain Dew when we can find it.

I think you have enough. If someone can't find something to drink from what you are offering and they complain then they are impolite and should be dropped from your "A" list. (insert tongue-in-cheek icon here)

You *could* just make it a "theme" party and offer only 3 beverages: one alcoholic, one non-alcoholic, and water.

Not that this is a suggestion for a theme but here is a recipe for a GREAT punch:

Skip and Go Nakeds

6 12 oz beers (any kind) cold
1 6 oz can frozen limeade concentrate
6 oz vodka (after the first punchbowl it matters very little what liquor you use)

Pour the beers carefully into a punchbowl. Add the thawed limeade concentrate. Use the empty limeade can to more or less measure the vodka.
Serve and enjoy.

Thanks.
BTW I didn't include Southern Comfort because it is an always-in-stock commodity here.

The beer selection is rather poor. Get a couple "micro-brew" type beers.

Whisky - Irish

Beer - Keg.

Great list however, I will use it for the First Communion breakfast we are having on Saturday.

Back