Prednisone and albuterol

U

Unregistered

I am out of town, and just developed bronchitis. I went to a nurse practitioner at Walgreens. She prescribed prednisone (20mg) and an albuterol inhaler. I do not have asthma, and have never taken either before. This is just to treat an acute condition, and I won't be refilling these prescriptions. Is this going to be a problem when I renew my 3rd class medical?

That's a question you need to ask Bruce Chien, who doesn't come here any more (despite a brief visit last week, in which he said that nothing's changed so he won't be back again). You can reach him on his web site or the AOPA Forums.

Talk to a good AME like Bruce.

If you gave them your info and or your insurance card, it's going to work it's way through the system.

Just a layman, but I believe the FAA looks at both the underlying condition's effect on your ability to safely pilot an aircraft and the effect the medicine used to treat will have. I suspect acute bronchitis should not have any long term effect on your medical, as I understand these things. Chronic bronchitis, however, would require a Special Issuance (see FAA AME guide https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/avs/offices/aam/ame/guide/app_process/exam_tech/item35/amd/copd/)

My father uses both of those...and has asthma.

Never been a problem for 3rd class medical. He turned 65 this year...still going strong and flys around 150-200 hrs a year.

Someone just asked about Predisone on the red boards and Bruce said that's not an issue AFTER you are done taking it. Certainly knowing the side effects I wouldn't go anywhere near it while actually flying. Albuterol you can even fly with (provided it's for a condition that's not otherwise disqualifying).

I am out of town, and just developed bronchitis. I went to a nurse practitioner at Walgreens. She prescribed prednisone (20mg) and an albuterol inhaler. I do not have asthma, and have never taken either before. This is just to treat an acute condition, and I won't be refilling these prescriptions. Is this going to be a problem when I renew my 3rd class medical?

You won't have a problem with either medication. Prednisone has some strange side-effects in some people - so self-ground until you finish it. In the absence of a precipitous recovery you may need an antibiotic.

Feel free to text me if you need to do so.

-=ICUDoc

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back