Predict the future for SSRI's?

airbrain

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
AirBrain
What can be said as to the likely future for SSRI's and special issuances?

• Are the medical deciders favorable towards further expanded approvals of other SSRI's as data accumulates from which to make a judgement?
  • How fast is this likely to occur?
  • Might the one year observation period be reduced to something more practical like 60-90 days instead of grounding me so long for safety reasons that I forget how to fly?
My frustration is that, while modern medicine is advancing at such a marvelous pace to the great benefit of the health of humankind, this is hardly the motto of the FAA. In fact, I think it was either Huerta or the chief medical examiner who proclaimed (I am trying to relocate the source and welcome assistance) that the FAA medical office simply did not have the means to keep up with analyzing even a fraction of new pharmaceuticals for their suitability in the aviation environment.

But that poses a puzzle to me. Do they believe
  • I would want to fly even if my medication made me unsafe doing so?
  • I am safer flying on an old, less effective, higher side effect medication because the FAA finally studied it,
  • Rather than by my working with my personal physician to meticulously adjust medication and dosage to produce the best possible results?
The latter would seems to contradict the advantages of having personalized health care.

I feel like the FAA is less concerned with my actual condition for flight so much as my theoretically possible condition, even if I offer to produce evidence demonstrating I am fine.

Sorry. Despite my efforts, I digressed on a rant. Back to the actual question: What does the crystal ball show for the future of more SSRI's being green lighted?

Thanks

No much chance. Remember it took myself with three other parties, five years to get what we got.

I would like to see expansion to a few other diagnoses. Right now the cognitive eval. + forensic psych for an allied condtion is a waste of $$s.

60-90D? Not a chance for now. These meds take about 6 months to stabilize anyway....

A waste because it doesn't result in an SI approval? Or waste because the eval is not medically necessary?

What political strategies might have the best hope for positive effect, if any? Ideas?

Bruce, I have seen your remarks in other threads suggesting better approaches to tackling the 3rd class medical issue such as proceeding more like Australia, I think it was.
  • Do you think that approach might get anywhere?
  • Is it the best way you have been able to think of?
  • Has anyone organized to lobby for it?

A waste because it doesn't result in an SI approval? Or waste because the eval is not medically necessary?

What political strategies might have the best hope for positive effect, if any? Ideas?

Bruce, I have seen your remarks in other threads suggesting better approaches to tackling the 3rd class medical issue such as proceeding more like Australia, I think it was.
  • Do you think that approach might get anywhere?
  • Is it the best way you have been able to think of?
  • Has anyone organized to lobby for it?
It was a total waste because Mr. Fuller wanted to be grandiose, rejected it, and steered EAA/AOPA down the path of no progress.
"We can't do that because the members need to see us as proactive" translates to:
"IF we do that, nobody will need us...."

Mr. Hightower said after this was done, we'd do it again in the aussie way....but he's gone because he didn't see the culture clash he created at EAA by selling all the good flightline space for $700 for the week complete with tents to obstruct everyone not paying's view.

NO political manevers will help. The congress is square on the side of standing up before the cameras and saying, "we will not permit (this accident) this to happen again!"

Congress is square on the side of whatever makes them popular and supported. The NRA doesn't seem so easily defeated by public opinion. GA's case is certainly better than theirs.

IMO, it's about time the GA pilot groups went professional in how to influence politics instead of being so servile. But I'll take that rant to a different thread.

Congress is square on the side of whatever makes them popular and supported. The NRA doesn't seem so easily defeated by public opinion. GA's case is certainly better than theirs.

IMO, it's about time the GA pilot groups went professional in how to influence politics instead of being so servile. But I'll take that rant to a different thread.

The above statements already does not jive with reality. In fact the AOPA and NBAA have a reputation on the hill as being even more reactive than the NRA.

The NRA has TEN TIMES the membership of AOPA and reflects an an aspect of american life that touches over a third of the population (gun owners) as opposed to the gracious .2 % of the population who are pilots.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back