Precision approach now breaking out

Man you have got me all wrong

Okay, why are you insistent that you need the option of canceling after breaking out at 650'? I can't imagine a situation where that would ever be a good idea. Either land or go missed. Divert to the alternate if you have to. What could possibly be going on that makes canceling at 650' a good call?

Okay, why are you insistent that you need the option of canceling after breaking out at 650'? I can't imagine a situation where that would ever be a good idea. Either land or go missed. Divert to the alternate if you have to. What could possibly be going on that makes canceling at 650' a good call?

Can't remember 1-800-wx-brief? :dunno:

Okay, why are you insistent that you need the option of canceling after breaking out at 650'?What could possibly be going on that makes canceling at 650' a good call?

When did I say either of those things. I'd like to recap.

I only wished to defend my decision because you called me crazy. And kept poking at it. Now you seem to think I insist on canceling ASAP. Like I am some kind of reckless hot shot who buzzes churches and crap.

One thing I may or may not have done on sunday could have been... bad.

Probably a bad habit to get into regardless.

As I mentioned earlier, probably not a great habit to get into.

Like I said in every single previous post, not the best habit to get into.

The advice never to cancel unless you can fly a standard VFR pattern is good advice.

Last edited:
I personally would fly 70% visual and 30% instrument, but what I REALLY need to pay attention to while on something such as an ILS would be to be very precise about my glide slope and runway center-line if I break out, especially if I break out 1000AGL or something like that. I once was shooting an ILS 8 into Butler, during my Inst training and I ran in to an issue, because I got so relaxed when I saw the field about 600 agl, so I was less precise with my visual, and a low cloud that was hanging around the field on the approach path got a hold of me and I lost visual for about 7 seconds, but when I looked down to my needles, I was 2 dots above my glide slope and 1 dot to the left, it was no missed approach, but having to go back into a cloud and recover my precise ILS was very frustrating and nerve racking... so if I do break I maintain as precise of a visual as I can, and if it is down to minimums, then my 70-30 rule kicks in, because usually if you are down to minimums, you will not have good visibility when you break out anyway so you will need your needles and 6pack for Situational back-up to your visuals...

I once was shooting an ILS 8 into Butler, during my Inst training and I ran in to an issue, because I got so relaxed when I saw the field about 600 agl, so I was less precise with my visual, and a low cloud that was hanging around the field on the approach path got a hold of me

Was that a night approach? Clouds do seem to come from nowhere at night.

I never called you anything. I said its crazy to cancel if you broke out at 650'. Ron called it unwise.

"what you're doing is crazy" has different meaning than "you are crazy".

I'm not the one who keeps poking here. You keep coming around with a different angle of why it's okay. Your plane flies slow, you have options, ect. I'm being steadfast in simply saying I can't imagine a time where this would make any sense. Legal or not.

I never called you anything. I said its crazy to cancel if you broke out at 650'. Ron called it unwise.

"what you're doing is crazy" has different meaning than "you are crazy".

I'm not the one who keeps poking here. You keep coming around with a different angle of why it's okay. Your plane flies slow, you have options, ect. I'm being steadfast in simply saying I can't imagine a time where this would make any sense. Legal or not.

Sorry cap'n I spose you just pushed my buttons a bit by saying that I insist on needing to cancel.

No worries. I am curious what's driving this. Are you just trying to justify a previous action by assuring yourself no reg was actually broken or do you see future use?

No worries. I am curious what's driving this. Are you just trying to justify a previous action by assuring yourself no reg was actually broken or do you see future use?

see what I mean about the poking

My original reason for bringing this up was to ensure that I did not break any regs. If I did, I would have filed ASRS. I said in my original post and many, many times in subsequent posts that I knew my decision was a bad idea.

Okay okay. Just seemed like you kept coming back trying to get approval. Maybe I misread the motivation.

My original reason for bringing this up was to ensure that I did not break any regs. If I did, I would have filed ASRS. I said in my original post and many, many times in subsequent posts that I knew my decision was a bad idea.
I figure when I'm IFR, I need a good reason to cancel before landing, as opposed to a reason not to cancel. Absent that good reason, I'll just hold my clearance to touchdown. Saves any chance of breaking a reg or getting distracted during a critical phase of flight.

Youre on a precision approach and break out. You have the runway in sight and there are glide lights on the runway. Which is your primary source of glide slope information, needles, lights or mark 1 I-ball?

As soon as you break out, primary is Mk I eyeball, but all other sources are still used.

No it was on a very humid summer day... I have only been in IMC at night once... some interesting stuff...

Back